Toronto friendly

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

...did they finally successfully splice Holtby's DNA into "Lame"-ela??? that kid came out on fire and basically bossed the 1st 15min...also encouraging to see the link up play with Soldado - let's see if it translates to the PL...
...Davies looked steady, unlike 'psycho boy' Rose...
...Eriksen looked rusty...
...Carroll, Capoue, Veljkovic, and Mason were unimpressive...Mousa and Jan please hurry back...
...MOTM was def Roberts, the 2nd half keeper for Toronto...
COYS
Capoue, Veljkovic and Mason unimpressive? I thought they were all solid, baring in mind they were all playing defensive roles... Is that not a good thing?

...did they finally successfully splice Holtby's DNA into "Lame"-ela??? that kid came out on fire and basically bossed the 1st 15min...also encouraging to see the link up play with Soldado - let's see if it translates to the PL...
...Davies looked steady, unlike 'psycho boy' Rose...
...Eriksen looked rusty...
...Carroll, Capoue, Veljkovic, and Mason were unimpressive...Mousa and Jan please hurry back...
...MOTM was def Roberts, the 2nd half keeper for Toronto...
COYS
:goonermong:

Sorry if its already been asked but how did davies play? Didn't see the game and it looks like we dominated the first half.

If you haven't checked out those highlights posted, you should. There's an excellent low cross in there right to Lamela's boot that allowed him to put a shot in on target. Defensively, he did his job every time (although he wasn't called on much). Good stuff.

Capoue, Veljkovic and Mason unimpressive? I thought they were all solid, baring in mind they were all playing defensive roles... Is that not a good thing?

Mason and Veljkovic did about par in my book, but yeah anyone who watched that game and declared Capoue as "unimpressive" loses a bit of validity in their statement... Extremely crisp passing from him, and a sizable improvement from the Seattle game.

I have to disagree here. He's been our captain, and I like seeing a captain genuinely hate fucking up. So I have to say I appreciate seeing the reaction from Daws when he knows he's the culprit.

I'd appreciate the reaction too if it didn't make him look like a kid whose Mom just told him she wasn't going to get him another power rangers action figure while they were out shopping.

My only qualm with the way we played as that it was pretty slow. Although, if we can win games the way we did I really wouldn't mind slow play that leads to such pretty goals. I know that might not be a very popular opinion but pressing is pressing no matter what speed it's done at.

Haha fair enough.

to be fair, I'm just jaded when it comes to Daws right now. Last season was such a calamity, and I don't think I've truly gotten over some of my worst grudges. Objectively, I still think he needs to be gone either this season or the next so that we can bring in some new blood.. I'm sure I'll miss him when he does eventually leave, though.

Here is what I thought, not that any of you care :dawsonmean:

Friedel – Below average. Looked his age. Not an issue though as we have Lloris / Vorm.

Naughton – Solid game. Looked composed without doing anything special.

Kaboul – Solid game. Looked composed without doing anything special.

Velkovic – Solid game, all though a couple of mistimed challenges.

Davies – Solid game, looked a little nervy.

Mason – Looked rubbish. Doubt he will be anywhere near the 1st team to be honest.

Capoue – Absolute beast. Won everything. Passed well. Looked class.

Lennon – Looked sharp, linked up well as a “playmaker”. Very one footed made him predictable.

Eriksen – Looked short on energy. Didn’t do much. Found some nice space though.

Lamela – Fantastic play. Wanted the ball all the time. Scored twice. Few dodgy first touches though.

Soldado – Ok. Linked up ok but didn’t seem to be on the ball a lot. However 2 assists.

Walker – Average. Could tell it was 1st game back after injury.

Dawson – Shockingly bad. Must get rid.

Fryers – Looked poor. Seems better at left back. Maybe loan out now Davies is in.

Rose – Solid. Decent cross which Kane should have scored from.

Carroll – Poor. Passed sideways ok. Knocked off the ball a lot. Forward passing poor.

Holtby – Decent. Ran around a lot. Tackled and passed ok. Assist for the goal.

Falque – Didn’t really get into the game. Average performance.

Celabios – At fault for a goal. Attacked ok but made some dodgy passing choices.

Townsend – Decent display. Passed well. Scored a decent goal. Still needs a football brain.

Kane – Poor. Didn’t have lots to work with, but missed a sitter. Players behind didn’t help him though.

to be fair, I'm just jaded when it comes to Daws right now. Last season was such a calamity, and I don't think I've truly gotten over some of my worst grudges. Objectively, I still think he needs to be gone either this season or the next so that we can bring in some new blood.. I'm sure I'll miss him when he does eventually leave, though.

Yeah this is about exactly my stance on the matter as well. I think we can get Kabs to do a decent job as 2nd choice, but between him and Daws I think it would entirely undo all the work Poch has done and is doing if we're to remain with those as our options at RCB.

I will miss Daws though. As I said earlier, despite all his fuckups and current slowness, he'll always be a Yid to me.

Dawson absolutely needs to go, and I think that getting a replacement CB needs to be our #1 priority. I know cahspur is gonna say it's LW, but I would prefer a slightly more predictable attack than a giant hole in front of goal.

Here is what I thought, not that any of you care :dawsonmean:

Friedel – Below average. Looked his age. Not an issue though as we have Lloris / Vorm.

Naughton – Solid game. Looked composed without doing anything special.

Kaboul – Solid game. Looked composed without doing anything special.

Velkovic – Solid game, all though a couple of mistimed challenges.

Davies – Solid game, looked a little nervy.

Mason – Looked rubbish. Doubt he will be anywhere near the 1st team to be honest.

Capoue – Absolute beast. Won everything. Passed well. Looked class.

Lennon – Looked sharp, linked up well as a “playmaker”. Very one footed made him predictable.

Eriksen – Looked short on energy. Didn’t do much. Found some nice space though.

Lamela – Fantastic play. Wanted the ball all the time. Scored twice. Few dodgy first touches though.

Soldado – Ok. Linked up ok but didn’t seem to be on the ball a lot. However 2 assists.

Walker – Average. Could tell it was 1st game back after injury.

Dawson – Shockingly bad. Must get rid.

Fryers – Looked poor. Seems better at left back. Maybe loan out now Davies is in.

Rose – Solid. Decent cross which Kane should have scored from.

Carroll – Poor. Passed sideways ok. Knocked off the ball a lot. Forward passing poor.

Holtby – Decent. Ran around a lot. Tackled and passed ok. Assist for the goal.

Falque – Didn’t really get into the game. Average performance.

Celabios – At fault for a goal. Attacked ok but made some dodgy passing choices.

Townsend – Decent display. Passed well. Scored a decent goal. Still needs a football brain.

Kane – Poor. Didn’t have lots to work with, but missed a sitter. Players behind didn’t help him though.

I agree with this for the most part, but just wanted to add/comment on a few things:

Fryers - I just don't think he's a good defender much at all. Don't think he's good at left back either, especially a Poch wingback. Needs a full season Prem loan IMO, or at least a Championship one.

Mason - Wasn't really bad, but certainly showed nothing that implied he should be with the first team. What's pleasing to me though, is as of yet it does very much appear Poch is wanting to play with a DLP type alongside the holding mid.

Carroll - much same here as with Mason

Ceballos - Tried way too damn hard, and made himself look quite poor in the process. Thought he looked alright vs Seattle, but it's obvious how badly he wants to get in with the first team and isn't even remotely letting his game breathe. Really poor last night.

Kane - That finish from the great Rose cross was quite poor, but aside from that I thought he did well. In direct contrast to that finish, I thought his first touch for the most part was quite nice. He received a few passes with rather close pressure which he fielded atypically well compared to his performances last year. His first touch could open some pretty large doors to him in his all-around game, so I was glad to see him clearing having worked on it.

Dawson absolutely needs to go, and I think that getting a replacement CB needs to be our #1 priority. I know cahspur is gonna say it's LW, but I would prefer a slightly more predictable attack than a giant hole in front of goal.

Tbh, after what we've seen so far in the friendlies, I completely agree that CB should be top priority at this point. I'll take Lennon, Townsend, and Chadli running around trying to figure out how to stay on par over Dawson even as 2nd choice. I think if we forego a left winger, we at least finish about par at 5th or 6th (due to not taking points off those above). We forego a new RCB, we could very well finish 7th or worse.

I agree with this for the most part, but just wanted to add/comment on a few things:

Fryers - I just don't think he's a good defender much at all. Don't think he's good at left back either, especially a Poch wingback. Needs a full season Prem loan IMO, or at least a Championship one.

Mason - Wasn't really bad, but certainly showed nothing that implied he should be with the first team. What's pleasing to me though, is as of yet it does very much appear Poch is wanting to play with a DLP type alongside the holding mid.

Ceballos - Tried way too damn hard, and made himself look quite poor in the process. Thought he looked alright vs Seattle, but it's obvious how badly he wants to get in with the first team and isn't even remotely letting his game breathe. Really poor last night.

Kane - That finish from the great Rose cross was quite poor, but aside from that I thought he did well. In direct contrast to that finish, I thought his first touch for the most part was quite nice. He received a few passes with rather close pressure which he fielded atypically well compared to his performances last year. His first touch could open some pretty large doors to him in his all-around game, so I was glad to see him clearing having worked on it.

Yeah I agree with that more in depth summary.

The point about the DLP is spot on. It was Carroll the initial game (Holtby initially until siggy pulled out). And although Mason didn't impress me, it was good to see a passing player there.

I always thought Kane had a first touch, to be fair I didn't see much of him as a youth player but of what I did it always surprised me people thought he didn't.

Also damn Fifa manager acronyms! Took me a good minute to work out what DLP meant!

Yeah I agree with that more in depth summary.

The point about the DLP is spot on. It was Carroll the initial game (Holtby initially until siggy pulled out). And although Mason didn't impress me, it was good to see a passing player there.

Yeah it seems to me he's gone with at least some sort of passer in all four halves we've seen of yet. This makes sense considering that Saints led the league in forward passes last season, so I'm pleased to see him go in this direction with us considering how fucking unilaterally horizontal we've been the last two years.

I always thought Kane had a first touch, to be fair I didn't see much of him as a youth player but of what I did it always surprised me people thought he didn't.

Also damn Fifa manager acronyms! Took me a good minute to work out what DLP meant!

Haha I don't play them games brah. Just hump the air to the thought of DLP's, especially in contrast to our current slew of CM's who are all about just physically controlling the middle.

Kane's first touch was a bit too loose this past year by my take. His work at Old Trafford had me clawing my chair to bits with how many times he unnecessarily conceded the ball and allowed them to come back at us with more time. Very frustrating, and I think his performance that day was heavily overrated because of his slick clearance into the stands after play was called dead.

Back
Top Bottom