Tommy Carroll

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Hi guys,

I'm new here and the last thing I want to do is cause controversy but I have got to agree with SchmoodSpur. Numbers can twist anything to convenience and I don't think Carroll has passed the eye test. Funny thing is that I like players like him who have a good pass and like to control the game but I don't think he is imposing enough, and by imposing I don't mean physically but taking the responsibility to start plays.

As a Spurs fan and a believer in Pochettino's 'philosophy' (God, I hate when managers overutilise this word!) I hope the lad will come good as he is one of our own after all!

I'm optimistic about this season for various reasons and because it's a Tommy Carroll thread, I don't think he is ready, at this moment, to make an impact in our top 4 aspirations. I do hope I'm wrong though!

#YidArmy!

The most frustrating part about Carrolls involvement is that he hadn't been tried further forward.

I think further forward he could have made more of an impact, less responsibility when it comes to defending as a central midfield two. But I guess he hasn't been played there. Personally, I don't link our poor form with Carroll starting, but I feel like Son should have played more with Alli in central midfield.

Got to say Schmood I think that is complete bollocks. He picks up the ball and immediately gets his head up and looks forward for a through pass. Only when no one is available does he go sideways to move the ball on, rarely does he pass backwards.

I said the same to my dad at the start of the cup game on the weekend, we watched throughout with an eye on him and by the end my dad was convinced. Just look at get Eriksen goal for example, hugely down to Carroll's incisive defence-splitting pass. He was MotM alongside Eriksen who was doing similar.

I'd love to see his pass map from that game, no idea where to get it, but I'm positive it will show how frequently he looks for a forward pass.

I don't know if he'll get better or not, and at present he's a long way behind Dembele, but to say he's crap is completely unwarranted, I think.

And the difference between Tommy and Bentelab is that Tommy looks who he's passing to!

Hi guys,

I'm new here and the last thing I want to do is cause controversy but I have got to agree with SchmoodSpur. Numbers can twist anything to convenience and I don't think Carroll has passed the eye test. Funny thing is that I like players like him who have a good pass and like to control the game but I don't think he is imposing enough, and by imposing I don't mean physically but taking the responsibility to start plays.

As a Spurs fan and a believer in Pochettino's 'philosophy' (God, I hate when managers overutilise this word!) I hope the lad will come good as he is one of our own after all!

I'm optimistic about this season for various reasons and because it's a Tommy Carroll thread, I don't think he is ready, at this moment, to make an impact in our top 4 aspirations. I do hope I'm wrong though!

#YidArmy!
You may be new but even to suggest that Carroll isn't ready is heresy in the eyes of Bazali - don't ask why

Everyones got one, some people have two.

Some people talk out of both!

It's telling the difference sometimes!

I like Tommy but concede he might not be 1st choice in midfield but if you play him then play him just behind front man or not at all!

But he's still way ahead of Benterlub(for Hiberni's benefit!)

Get off his back ffs

Some people talk out of both!

It's telling the difference sometimes!

I like Tommy but concede he might not be 1st choice in midfield but if you play him then play him just behind front man or not at all!

But he's still way ahead of Benterlub(for Hiberni's benefit!)

Get off his back ffs
Not on his back, my gripe isn't with him, it is with Pochettino for picking him surely you must concede there is a difference in the position you reference and the one I hold. Pochettino should believe that Mason offers a more robust option in the centre of the park than Carroll.

Not on his back, my gripe isn't with him, it is with Pochettino for picking him surely you must concede there is a difference in the position you reference and the one I hold. Pochettino should believe that Mason offers a more robust option in the centre of the park than Carroll.

Yes agreed more robust!

But surely in turn you must agree that Tommy is a better attacking option especially against a team like Sunderland!
Our goal difference is the best in the prem bar City so let's improve it today!

Yes agreed more robust!

But surely in turn you must agree that Tommy is a better attacking option especially against a team like Sunderland!
Our goal difference is the best in the prem bar City so let's improve it today!
Depends our team makes a large number of goal from winning the ball of opposition players, while Carroll is good for an interception, to be fair to him - he isn't great in the tackle where as Mason and yes, Bentaleb are at least better than Carroll in that department.

For me, with the exception of the Alderweireld diagonal we're better at scoring when we're charging towards the opposition than when we're whipping the ball out wide, playing passing football that requires a slow build up.

I can't argue that both Benty and Mason are better in the tackle But playing Tommy in the position I mentioned helps with a quick build up such as the corresponding away game when Mason scored mainly thanks to speedy build up forward passing from Lamela.

Purely academic today as Moose is back

Don't understand the stick he gets. He isn't a regular starter when everyone is fit but he plays his part when called upon. I like how he gets rid of the ball quickly to keep things ticking. He isn't as bad in the tackle as some make him out either.

I thought he was excellent last night btw

I thought he had a very good game last night, another player that Poch has managed to get something out of it, in stark contrast of what many thought was possible.!

Tom Carroll's biggest fan and her doll's global adventures

Run Tommy!!!
tumblr_inline_nmgbm8NhjR1ra3v1o_500.gif

Back
Top Bottom