Toby Alderweireld

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I find it interesting that Toby still doesn't get talked about that much compared to other defenders and I think the reason is that a lot of his best work is anticipating trouble and shutting it down before a chance is created. His awareness and ability to move into channels or apply pressure when needed is a thing of beauty.

Amazing stat

Defensive record

Quite remarkably, in each of Alderweireld's seven full seasons as a professional, he has always played in a team that has had either the best defensive record (five times) or the second best defensive record (twice) in the league. On the two occasions that he played in the league's second best defence (Ajax in 2011/12 and Southampton in 2014/15), the number of goals that they conceded was only one more than the best defence.

Throughout our analysis it became apparent that Alderweireld's association with organised and disciplined defensive units, who don't concede a lot of goals, was not a lucky coincidence. This was a trend that continued after he signed for Tottenham as they posted the joint best defensive record in the Premier League last season and they currently have the best defensive record in the league this season too.

I find it interesting that Toby still doesn't get talked about that much compared to other defenders and I think the reason is that a lot of his best work is anticipating trouble and shutting it down before a chance is created. His awareness and ability to move into channels or apply pressure when needed is a thing of beauty.

What I find amazing after reading that article is we had zero competition for his signature , Man Utd , Woolwich , Chelsea , Barcelona of the top of my head need or needed a top CB at the time we signed Toby.

What I find amazing after reading that article is we had zero competition for his signature , Man Utd , Woolwich , Chelsea , Barcelona of the top of my head need or needed a top CB at the time we signed Toby.

Their loss was our gain, I remember us being linked with him in his Ajax days. Then he went to Atleti and I didn't think any more of it. Was disappointed when Southampton signed him on loan though as we were screaming out for a decent centre half. Low and behold a season later we stitch Southampton up yet again and sign Toby from under their 'agreed' deal. The rest they say is history.

:tobyarm:

Amazing stat

Defensive record

Quite remarkably, in each of Alderweireld's seven full seasons as a professional, he has always played in a team that has had either the best defensive record (five times) or the second best defensive record (twice) in the league. On the two occasions that he played in the league's second best defence (Ajax in 2011/12 and Southampton in 2014/15), the number of goals that they conceded was only one more than the best defence.

Throughout our analysis it became apparent that Alderweireld's association with organised and disciplined defensive units, who don't concede a lot of goals, was not a lucky coincidence. This was a trend that continued after he signed for Tottenham as they posted the joint best defensive record in the Premier League last season and they currently have the best defensive record in the league this season too.

That is really something.
He is the most underrated CB in the world, no doubt.

Don't forget city, but they had the great Mangala come in for 40 million so they had no need to scout a player right under their noses

As I have said before the more money these clubs get, the WORSE the scouting gets, when you have to watch your money, you tend to do more due diligence

Although Toby is a great defender, very great, I think the pairing is equally as important.
It is quite obvious that vertonghen has looked a much more complete defender than he did before.
Sherwood even said he couldn't defend.
Having said that...
The other factor is who you have in front of you.
We played without Toby for a while and were still pretty solid defensively conceding 8 goals in 10 games(alcomps) 3 clean sheets
Since his return we have conceded 5 in 8 (all comps, including cskagame) 3 clean sheets

Amazing stat

Defensive record

:ledleylick:

I find it interesting that Toby still doesn't get talked about that much compared to other defenders

He doesn't get talked about much because he's consistently good. We just expect a 9/10 performance, since that's what he's been doing for a year and a half. Sometimes feel like we don't appreciate him as much as we should because of this.

When Sissoko goes from a 2 to a 8 we all go wild, yet consistent 9's go unnoticed.

Don't forget city, but they had the great Mangala come in for 40 million so they had no need to scout a player right under their noses

As I have said before the more money these clubs get, the WORSE the scouting gets, when you have to watch your money, you tend to do more due diligence
So true, unless they're buying known world class who's talents don't need scouting. Unless you're Moyesiah needing to scout Kroos 20 times before choosing Fellaini instead. What a nonce.

Another problem with lots of money is they also get fleeced on transfers. Clubs know that to placate fans they need big signings every summer.... Lo and behold transfers cost 5-10m more than other clubs would have to pay.

So true, unless they're buying known world class who's talents don't need scouting. Unless you're Moyesiah needing to scout Kroos 20 times before choosing Fellaini instead. What a nonce.

Another problem with lots of money is they also get fleeced on transfers. Clubs know that to placate fans they need big signings every summer.... Lo and behold transfers cost 5-10m more than other clubs would have to pay.
Which in a way is a good thing, with the FFP and so on. But it makes the market that much harder for anyone else trying to be reasonable with their transfer budget. But i have no pity for English clubs as they are the ones that fucked up the market first, what these chinese are doing is just taking it one step further.

Dont forget that he actually failed badly at Atletico, that's a stain he carried with him. He's always been underrated, even in Belgium people dont really see him for the fantastic defender he is. I never ever realised how freaking good he actually is untill he came to Spurs. Top 5 defender in the world without a doubt yet still he's not our nr 1 choice in defence for the NT, Kompany, Vermaelen, Lombaerts and Vertonghen were in front of him. He just played right back because we did not have any right backs untill that guy from PSG decided he's actually good at football.

Dont forget that he actually failed badly at Atletico, that's a stain he carried with him. He's always been underrated, even in Belgium people dont really see him for the fantastic defender he is. I never ever realised how freaking good he actually is untill he came to Spurs. Top 5 defender in the world without a doubt yet still he's not our nr 1 choice in defence for the NT, Kompany, Vermaelen, Lombaerts and Vertonghen were in front of him. He just played right back because we did not have any right backs untill that guy from PSG decided he's actually good at football.
Poch has brought the best out of him then!

Great managing!

Back
Top Bottom