Toby Alderweireld

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I can't believe he has a 25 mil release clause and no one has enacted it yet. He's one of the best defenders in the world. And that's not me being a Spurs homer.

If I understand the article correctly, the clause (if it actually exists) is only able to be activated after summer 2019 - thus we are in no immediate danger of some large European willy being limply and heavily thumped on Levy's desk wearing a £25m cheque like a neckerchief. Or peckerchief.

Let's hope that a new contract is indeed close as, for all of the rest of this teams brilliance, we struggle most without Toby. I suppose that means he is our most important player.

Last edited:
It's Alderweirelds birthday today as well as Pochettino.

Perfect birthday presents would be Toby signing a new deal.

I live down near Southampton now and have some builders doing work at the moment, the majority of whom are Saints fans. There's not much love lost between the clubs over the years with player and manager transfers but one of the players they were saying today that they are most gutted about losing was Toby. A real quality player who is able to get the best out of the others around him and who looks to me like a real leader on the pitch with his attitude and example.

Hope the release clause thing is a mistake. Best defender we've had for decades. And going forward into the new stadium - can lead a new generation.

Errmm - this release clause thing... ? Surely not right?

I thought Levy's thing was to sign everybody - we haven't signed Toby?

First time I ever felt proud to be half Belgian - wot with Toby and Jan:))))

Great stat:

Alderweireld was at fault for Southampton’s goal in Spurs’ 2-1 win at White Hart Lane last Sunday, failing to cut out a left-wing cross. According to one statistics group, however, this was the first time in the 28-year-old’s Premier League career that he had made a mistake that led directly to a goal.

I can't really believe how he's not already a top earner.
He always has been one of our top earners, £75k pw when we first signed him I believe was figure, making him one of, if not our top earner at the time. Only since Kane, Lloris etc have signed their new deals has this amount been surpassed.

Back
Top Bottom