Toby Alderweireld

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Personally like to see us give the less used members of the squad a run out for Wycombe game regardless of injuries/resting Jan/Toby.
If that means reverting to a 4-4-1-1 or what ever it makes sense.
Walker and Rose definitely need the rest so do eriksen and Alli, even Dier. I'm sure that's what will happen anyway so we can come back in two weeks and pump Sunderland 6-0

I think we'll go 4 at the back for this one... there's no need to adopt the 'high press'... as lovely a story as Wycombe are, they are (old) 4th division, and as such, shouldn't be taken lightly, but still... the reality is they are 3 divisions below us.
Trippier, Davies, CCV and maybe Dier should be fine at the back...
Winks + Kids & Janssen up top should be enough to cope... and if they're not, what the hell are they doimg expecting a 1st team spot in the PL?

Personally like to see us give the less used members of the squad a run out for Wycombe game regardless of injuries/resting Jan/Toby.
If that means reverting to a 4-4-1-1 or what ever it makes sense.
Walker and Rose definitely need the rest so do eriksen and Alli, even Dier. I'm sure that's what will happen anyway so we can come back in two weeks and pump Sunderland 6-0
Agreed. Also worth bearing in mind that this is the time of year where teams in the relegation zone start getting scrappy as they realise how screwed they are (see Swansea against Liverpool this weekend).
We mustn't underestimate Sunderland - though I'm of the belief that they'll fold if we manage to put one or two past them at half time.
There'll be the classic 'goalkeeper having a worldie' I'm sure, but at least that goalkeeper won't be Pickford.
I think we'll go 4 at the back for this one... there's no need to adopt the 'high press'... as lovely a story as Wycombe are, they are (old) 4th division, and as such, shouldn't be taken lightly, but still... the reality is they are 3 divisions below us.
Trippier, Davies, CCV and maybe Dier should be fine at the back...
Winks + Kids & Janssen up top should be enough to cope... and if they're not, what the hell are they doimg expecting a 1st team spot in the PL?
Double the reason to go with four at the back - it suits the rotated fullbacks better (especially Davies), and means that we're playing fewer centre backs (where we're looking a little threadbare short term).

Double the reason to go with four at the back - it suits the rotated fullbacks better (especially Davies), and means that we're playing fewer centre backs (where we're looking a little threadbare short term).

You think Trippier is better suited to FB than WB?

...I'd disagree.

(Better at the attacking end of things and hasn't got the pace to get up and down the line like KW & DR.)

You think Trippier is better suited to FB than WB?

...I'd disagree.

(Better at the attacking end of things and hasn't got the pace to get up and down the line like KW & DR.)
See, that lack of pace is why I don't think the RWB role suits him perfectly - though he's not bad at all.
I just think that, on balance, Davies' weakness at LWB outweighs Trippier's apitude for RWB.

Only using two centre backs given our current injury/injuries is the biggest benefit of a rotated back four to me.

See, that lack of pace is why I don't think the RWB role suits him perfectly - though he's not bad at all.

I just think that, on balance, Davies' weakness at LWB outweighs Trippier's apitude for RWB.

Only using two centre backs given our current injury/injuries is the biggest benefit of a rotated back four to me.

The way we play, I'd argue that a back 4 puts even more demand upon the FB's (in terms of running the flanks; 'recovery' runs in particular - The latter being the main thing that Davies also struggles with when called upon to 'own' the entire flank). 3 CBs gives them both a bit more license to linger a bit further up the pitch (unless under siege of course!).

However, I agree that Davies puts a spin on things. As do our current CB issues... As per my above outlook, it's still quite the quandry. LOL

I think that there a lot of teams out there who would be very happy either Trippier or Davies in their team, I think they are both solid defenders and wing backs, before this season you could argue both of them have a better delivery than Walker or Rose. However it's started to really blossom for the latter two last season and after the first few drab games of the season Walker and Rose have found another level, their dynamism is untouchable at present and I hope it continues. Regardless of what formation/system we adopt for this weekend really should be irrelevant in terms of the result. Personally I'm very pleased we can keep two able full backs happy with limited game time, the strength in depth there I would say any team in the league would be envious of.

As for the centre back issue at present it does pose an issue. I think we can manage with one of Jan or Toby but not neither but that could be said of any club without their favoured pairing. Agree they are awesome together but Jan without Toby is still a top centre back regardless of the next level he takes it to when they play together. Our issue is Dier, he is such a good player yet I think much to do with his age will struggle to lead the back line by himself, I'm sure it will come in time but he is still learning. That problem as I see it will be magnified by playing with players of lesser ability alongside him, Wimmer hasn't developed into the player we all hoped would yet and you could argue he won't and then you have CCV who is still young and raw in terms of the position.
As with the full backs I'm more than happy with what we have here to cope as Dier with Wimmer and/or CCV is unlikely to occur regularly. And I almost forgot, well done to Wanyama who slotted in against Citeh, thought he did a top job, not sure if we ever want to do that again being a plan A or even B but it's always an option should the shit hit the fan.

yes. He looked ok but then I only caught the last 30 mins of training so didn't see if he was involved in the running and sprinting stuff. Def didn't play the 7-a-side game

Hopefully the 2 week rest will do his hamstring good. Also as you've seen that he's mobile and doing some training, which is good news.

Saw interview with him, didnt look worried at all , just felt that weird numb feeling in his hamstrings everyone that has played sports involving sprints recognizes, the point just before its going to snap. No point in continuing and risking a long absence. If the hammy says stop, you really need to stop asap.

Wimmer hasn't developed into the player we all hoped would yet and you could argue he won't...

What are these reservations that you (and others) hold when it comes to Kev?

I just don't get it...

He may not be the paciest (which he blatantly wasn't signed for!), but he proved he can hack it last season when Jan was out for an extended spell.

jimmyriggle jimmyriggle and his mates at Barcelona Spurs
Married-with-Children-popcorn.gif

What are these reservations that you (and others) hold when it comes to Kev?

I just don't get it...

He may not be the paciest (which he blatantly wasn't signed for!), but he proved he can hack it last season when Jan was out for an extended spell.

Last season agree he deputised well, could you say he has looked any where near that level this season?

I think Tobes will be back for (if not Sunderland on Tuesday) then almost certainly next weekend.

The only question now, is do we risk Wimmer alongside CCV on Saturday, just in case summit happens, then we really are short for Tuesday! ...unless Poch is happy with Dier slotting back in?

For Wycombe in the Cup, it'll surely be CCV + someone... but who...???

Think we may rest him against Sunderland to be honest and get him back for the Middlesbrough game at home.

Still, any game without both Vertonghen and Alderweireld worries me.

I think Tobes will be back for (if not Sunderland on Tuesday) then almost certainly next weekend.

The only question now, is do we risk Wimmer alongside CCV on Saturday, just in case summit happens, then we really are short for Tuesday! ...unless Poch is happy with Dier slotting back in?

For Wycombe in the Cup, it'll surely be CCV + someone... but who...???

I'm fine with CCV and Wimmer as our centre back pairing for Wycombe.

Back
Top Bottom