This season

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We've never really been after top players for obvious reasons

What we need is a good scouting mechanism which enables us to find younger, 'just-about' players in the Berbatov, Modric, Eriksen mould - the kind of players who aren't ready yet for a G14 club and we can secure their services for a reasonable fee. Add to to that the customary flair/luxury Spursy player, along with a solid defensive back-bone - and we've got a solid platform to build from. Baldini should have gone yesterday and Levy should stop buying players over the manager's shoulder - this rot has been here since Jol's days (plenty of interviews if you're interested) and it has never yielded any form of success other than some balance sheet reacharound
We tried to buy the best Serie A young talent, the best La Liga goal scorer outside the main 2, the best from South America, the best from the Dutch league, the best from Eastern Europe....

Hopefully only 1 of those 5 will be around 2 years after joining. Baldini makes Commoli look like a football god!

We tried to buy the best Serie A young talent, the best La Liga goal scorer outside the main 2, the best from South America, the best from the Dutch league, the best from Eastern Europe....

Hopefully only 1 of those 5 will be around 2 years after joining. Baldini makes Commoli look like a football god!
Lamela was hardly the best promise in Serie A - plus I still believe he can come right considering his age.

Soldado - no comments

The best from South America, Eredivisie and Eastern Europe?

Lamela was hardly the best promise in Serie A - plus I still believe he can come right considering his age.

Soldado - no comments

The best from South America, Eredivisie and Eastern Europe?
Paulinho. Eriksen. Chiriches.

Might be harsh on Lamela how the press dubbed him the new-Bale etc. when he signed with the large price tag. I don't watch Serie A all that much but have a mate who follows Roma religiously and he still thinks he will tear it up over here too!

Interviews, are they good?
Jol admitted: 'Have I had any contact with Comolli since? No. He was the one who came up with Ramos. But that was before the season started - that was in July. That was a bit strange to say the least.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...-Comolli-Tottenham-sacking.html#ixzz3WoN4HoMY

We were basically lining up his successor before the season had fucking started!

Former Tottenham boss Martin Jol has slammed the transfer policy of sports chief Damien Comolli.

Jol says Comolli ignored his request to buy an experienced midfielder and left winger in the summer.

Instead Comolli sanctioned a £30million spree on Darren Bent,Younes Kaboul, Kevin Boateng and Adel Taarabt.

Jol told The Sun: "I felt the squad would be unbalanced with these signings and it proved to be the case.

"The funny thing is the new manager will probably come to the same conclusion and the club will go out in January and buy the two players I felt we needed."

Jol targeted Elano and Martin Petrov - but both ended up at Manchester City.

He added: "When Frank Arnesen was director of football we spoke together about the players to bring to the club.

"But I did not have the same relationship with the next man.

"I think the club wanted to invest in younger players because they wanted to make money on them in the future.

"The decisions were not being made for footballing reasons.

"I knew that in the summer and I realised my position was becoming very difficult."

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/jol-lashes-out-spurs-chief-comolli-154067#.VSZlk_mUd8E

I can only despair

Chadli, Eriksen, Vertonghen were top players in the Eredivisie
I already gave us credit for Eriksen. Chadli has always been an average player - even in the mighty Eredivisie - please, this revisionism is becoming bored-line embarrassing.

Paulinho. Eriksen. Chiriches.

Might be harsh on Lamela how the press dubbed him the new-Bale etc. when he signed with the large price tag. I don't watch Serie A all that much but have a mate who follows Roma religiously and he still thinks he will tear it up over here too!
I really, really don't think either Chiriches or Paulinho were the very best in their respective geographical regions, mate.

I really, really don't think either Chiriches or Paulinho were the very best in their respective geographical regions, mate.
For some reason I thought Paulinho won player of the season in the Copa Libatodores. Was definitely stretching it with Vlad though, although he was supposedly linked with Chelsea & AC when we signed him

I already gave us credit for Eriksen. Chadli has always been an average player - even in the mighty Eredivisie - please, this revisionism is becoming bored-line embarrassing.

I'm Dutch, I watch the Eredivisie, and Chadli was (for a while) def. one of the top players in the league. Won the cup, 2nd in the league and reached the CL with Twente, a team that usually lingers mid table. Scoring 40 in 123 along the way.

Of course every player from the Dutch league is a gamble as it's nothing compared to the Premier League, and your right to say singing him isn't 'great ambition'. But no, he was more than an average player here.

For some reason I thought Paulinho won player of the season in the Copa Libatodores. Was definitely stretching it with Vlad though, although he was supposedly linked with Chelsea & AC when we signed him
Just checked and no he wasn't the best player in that tournament. In fact he never even won player of the week during the 15 weeks of it, so no idea where that idea even came from!

Eriksen did pretty good, but yeh rest were at best disappointing. I assume if you scout correctly you should be able to tell to some degree if they might fit, I remember somewhere when we got Soldado someone said of him, he is a bit like Andy Cole needs alot of chances to score so it was a know issue even when he was scoring.

Obviously at his old club he had lots of chances hence the goals but Soldado is not strong enough or quick enough to be a lone striker which was what AVB used and what Poch uses now. Don't we pay people to have a look at this before we take the plunge rather than just go he scored a load of goals without looking the context of it?

Just checked and no he wasn't the best player in that tournament. In fact he never even won player of the week during the 15 weeks of it, so no idea where that idea even came from!
Most Brazilian semi-decent players are terribly over-hyped by greedy agents / rights-owning companies in order to secure lucrative deals overseas - awards, national team cameos, etc. Granted, Paulinho looked solid when he first arrived but his confidence is probably rock-bottom at this point and unlikely to recover. Very sad story, imv - always liked him

Don't we pay people to have a look at this before we take the plunge rather than just go he scored a load of goals without looking the context of it?
You'd like to think so. But judging by the way we've bought players at certain times I think specific role need comes 3rd after FIFA rating & youtube highlights clip sometimes

I'm Dutch, I watch the Eredivisie, and Chadli was (for a while) def. one of the top players in the league. Won the cup, 2nd in the league and reached the CL with Twente, a team that usually lingers mid table. Scoring 40 in 123 along the way.

Of course every player from the Dutch league is a gamble as it's nothing compared to the Premier League, and your right to say singing him isn't 'great ambition'. But no, he was more than an average player here.

Good goal scorer here but seems to be a bit slow certainly playing the winger position, is he better suited to the number 10 or striker role.

This transfer season is last chance salon for ENIC
7d9e7e963f4049c9e391dc3047faac82.jpg

This seasons main good and bad points in my view.

Good points:
1. Emergence of some top class young players like Kane, Bentaleb and Dier as well as a generally improvement with Danny Rose, best plus point of the season by far.
2. Beating close rivals like Arse, Chavs and Spam.
3. A few very good pressing quick, aggressive performances with fluid football Poch style.
4. A feeling of stability finally.

Bad points:
1 A large chuck of players with some talent not pulling their weight or just being not good enough (Ade, Bobby, Paulinho, Capoue, Kaboul) others being borderline at different points such as Townsend. All of them taking wages and many costing us a bucket load of cash.
2 Another chuck of players having very up and down seasons like Eriksen, Chadli, Walker, Verts etc
3. Some of Poch's team selections/subs have been a misfire big time although I do like his style.
4. Our season slowly dying out as St Totteringham's day approaches for the goon scum.

Back
Top Bottom