This season

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It is excellent to have a reputation as a club who gives young players a chance. It should be great for recruitment. These aren't empty appearances either with Kane, Townsend, Mason, Rose, and Walker all being England internationals. People are taking notice of what is happening here, hopefully that makes Mitchell's job this summer much easier.

Ah - I understand what's at the root of this now. Adebayor. And there you were yesterday talking about uninterested players - right oh mate.
It has nothing to do with the club or Poch - simply a pathetic attempt to vindicate the gooner twats Cuntwood and Adebayor - shocker, eh. Some trolls moan after every game irrespective of the result or performance.

It has nothing to do with the club or Poch - simply a pathetic attempt to vindicate the gooner twats Cuntwood and Adebayor - shocker, eh. Some trolls moan after every game irrespective of the result or performance.
Sammy has an anti Poch agenda - I wish he would be big enough to come out and say it, rather than hiding behind his "I'm allowed to criticise" bullshit. Of course he is, but everyday in every thread? It's boring.

This transfer season is last chance salon for ENIC, as far as I'm concerned.

Almost 15 years of wasting millions on managers achieving similar results while demanding Top 4 football with a negative net spend. Do me a fucking favour - promoted teams spend more than us. You cannot continuously blame the managers if you are unwilling to provide the tools necessary for the job. Enough with this balance sheet football. Either deliver on the Boardroom ambition in terms of signings or sell up and jog the fuck on. The stadium hoax and pretty photos of a new training ground can only wash so many times.

Even the biggest ENIC apologists would admit we have now plateaued for a solid few years. Take out the Kane miracle this season and we're bottom-half dross. Wake the fuck up and realise the true problem here lies far beyond the training ground. We can sign even Mourinho but he can't be a miracle worker with 10 million to spend on 'quality'. Laughable and truly embarassing from the 'balance sheet football' guru

Last edited:
This transfer season is last chance salon for ENIC as far as I'm concerned.

Almost 15 years of wasting millions on managers achieving similar results while demanding Top 4 football with a negative net spend. Do me a fucking favour - promoted teams spend more than us. You cannot continuously blame the managers if you are unwilling to provide the tools necessary for the job. Enough with this balance sheet football. Either deliver on the boardroom ambition in terms of signings or sell up and jog the fuck on. The stadium hoax and pretty photos of a new training ground can only wash so many times.

Even the biggest ENIC apologists would admit we have now plateaued for a solid few years. Take out the Kane miracle this season and we're bottom half dross. Wake the fuck up and realise the true problem here lies far beyond the training ground. We can sign even Mourinho but he can't be a miracle worker with 10 million to spend on 'quality'. Laughable and truly embarassing from the 'balance sheet football' guru

Yeah ... I don't know why so many people defend ENIC now?

Yeah ... I don't know why so many people defend ENIC now?

It's frustrating because they do plenty of stuff right. It isn't a Newcastle situation where everything is just a complete disgrace at the ownership lvel. ENIC does 75% of things right but then continually ignores the other 25% and then somehow repeatedly can't understand where they've went wrong even though it is the same mistakes over and over. It's a cyclical process of some good then the same bad that they really should have learned from by now.

Almost 15 years of wasting millions on managers achieving similar results while demanding Top 4 football with a negative net spend. Do me a fucking favour - promoted teams spend more than us. You cannot continuously blame the managers if you are unwilling to provide the tools necessary for the job. Enough with this balance sheet football. Either deliver on the Boardroom ambition in terms of signings or sell up and jog the fuck on. The stadium hoax and pretty photos of a new training ground can only wash so many times.

Even the biggest ENIC apologists would admit we have now plateaued for a solid few years. Take out the Kane miracle this season and we're bottom-half dross. Wake the fuck up and realise the true problem here lies far beyond the training ground. We can sign even Mourinho but he can't be a miracle worker with 10 million to spend on 'quality'. Laughable and truly embarassing from the 'balance sheet football' guru

Sounds a pretty well reasoned out argument....But hang on....You think the stadium is a hoax? Fuck me, is it too late for Archway to mount that as a new defence for an appeal?

Got the youth policy right, stadium coming on (hopefully) and quite like Poch but as you say constantly buying shit and sacking managers has led to our stagnation over a long period of time. Even when we do have money we get someone like Baldini to piss it up against a wall, until we get a well thought out transfer policy we will never challenge over a long period for top 4. Our squad is a bloody mess, rumours abound certain players giving less than 100%.

Doubt in the summer we will get much and to be fair why would a top player come to us right now. Best we can do is sell the deadwood and support Poch in trying to get whatever he needs and hope a few more of our youth players do a Kane/Bentaleb and become top players next season.

It's frustrating because they do plenty of stuff right. It isn't a Newcastle situation where everything is just a complete disgrace at the ownership lvel. ENIC does 75% of things right but then continually ignores the other 25% and then somehow repeatedly can't understand where they've went wrong even though it is the same mistakes over and over. It's a cyclical process of some good then the same bad that they really should have learned from by now.

Of course not a Newcastle thank god, but it does amaze how we make the same mistakes in the transfers market again and again. Much as I hate the plastics of Chelsea they would have spent the Bale money better than us for sure, those guys know how to spend money mostly (Torres aside) and Mourinho would have got a player or 3 that fitted his system.

Without improving our transfers we are entirely relying on youth players to become great players. I hope the appointment of Mitchell and our new scouting team at least can enable us to buy the right type of players if not the best.

Doubt in the summer we will get much and to be fair why would a top player come to us right now.
Agree 100%

When's the last time we signed a "top player" and they've actually done something for us. Lloris is all I can think of since ENIC took over. All of Eriksen, Berbatov, Modric, Bale & Carrick all had question marks whether they'd get that good next to them when they signed for us. It's the young ambitious players like hopefully this Wimmer that we will get if this Poch-regime is given a chance

Agree 100%

When's the last time we signed a "top player" and they've actually done something for us. Lloris is all I can think of since ENIC took over. All of Eriksen, Berbatov, Modric, Bale & Carrick all had question marks whether they'd get that good next to them when they signed for us. It's the young ambitious players like hopefully this Wimmer that we will get if this Poch-regime is given a chance
Vdv woodgate and parker were all very good finished products when we got them

Vdv woodgate and parker were all very good finished products when we got them
I wouldn't say Woodgate (cup final goal aside) went all that well mainly due to injury. Good shout on the other two. Probably VDV not at his prime but was still exceptional in that Redknapp side. Definitely got the best season of Scotty Parker's career in 11/12, unfortunate we got him so late

Agree 100%

Top teams have about 4-5 min top level players, I don't yet think Eriksen is quite there, only Lloris and Kane are in that bracket right now. To break into the top 4 we are probably two class players away from having a chance, Modric and Bale would do it but they are gone.

We need another Kane or two from the youth team and for our scouts to get one or two gems under the noses of the bigger clubs for next season if we are to have any chance of breaking in. When I say top players I mean the below, players who are top class in their position/and or affect most games.

Top/Key players

Chavs

Courtious
Terry
Ivanovic
Matic
Fabragas
Costa

Man City

Hart?
Kompany?
David Silva
Toure
Aguero

Arsescum - not so many but big flexible squad

Sanchez
Giroud?
Ozil? (been good recently)
Cazorla
Koscielny

Man United

Rooney
De Gea
Carrick
Herrera
Blind?
Mata?

Liverpool
Sturridge
Courtinho
Sterling
Skertel?

Spurs
Lloris
Kane
Eriksen?
- Had Bentaleb been more consistant maybe him as well but he is very young. Overall need more players of Lloris/Kane standard in the first 11.

Agree 100%

We've never really been after top players for obvious reasons - anyone older than 12 shouldn't have a problem understanding and accepting this reality

What we need is a good scouting mechanism which enables us to find younger, 'just-about' players in the Berbatov, Modric, Eriksen mould - the kind of players who aren't ready yet for a G14 club and we can secure their services for a reasonable fee. Add to to that the customary flair/luxury Spursy player, along with a solid defensive back-bone - and we've got a solid platform to build from. Baldini should have gone yesterday and Levy should stop buying players over the manager's shoulder - this rot has been here since Jol's days (plenty of interviews if you're interested) and it has never yielded any form of success other than some balance sheet reacharound.

Anyone know what Broomfield is up to these days?

Last edited:
Sounds a pretty well reasoned out argument....But hang on....You think the stadium is a hoax? Fuck me, is it too late for Archway to mount that as a new defence for an appeal?
I personally believe the true intention remains around securing planning rights, ergo massive naming rights and then selling the lot for a substantial return - most likely to a foreign contingent. Our value would increase by at least 200-300m with secured stadium planning plus naming rights. Let someone else worry later about filling a 56 000-seater against the likes of Pigfarmer FC and Yeovil in the COC.

We've never really been after top players for obvious reasons

What we need is a good scouting mechanism which enables us to find younger, 'just-about' players in the Berbatov, Modric, Eriksen mould - the kind of players who aren't ready yet for a G14 club and we can secure their services for a reasonable fee. Add to to that the customary flair/luxury Spursy player, along with a solid defensive back-bone - and we've got a solid platform to build from. Baldini should have gone yesterday and Levy should stop buying players over the manager's shoulder - this rot has been here since Jol's days (plenty of interviews if you're interested) and it has never yielded any form of success other than some balance sheet reacharound

Interviews, are they good?

Back
Top Bottom