Summer 2014 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
If this is even true it's going to force Levy into an awkward position cause other clubs will start lowballing knowing that we're desperate to get rid of players.

Well then they won't be getting any players from us. Can't think of a time where Levy has ever sold a player for less than could be reasonably expected.

We're talking about a man who bought Pineaar and then sold him back for 2m profit a year later. Sold Robbie Keane for 19m bought him back six months later for 12m. A man who sold Crouch, Palacios, Livermore, Zokora and Bent for a combined £53m. When it comes to selling surplus players Levy is the best chairman in the world. No one low balls Daniel Levy successfully.

Now if he would just hold onto players we actually wanted to keep and did a bit better with incomings then we'd really have something.

When it comes to selling surplus players Levy is the best chairman in the world. No one low balls Daniel Levy successfully.
But on the other side of that, he often hangs on to players uselessly, trying to scrounge out every million, when sometimes it's better to just get them off the books.

Gomes, for one.

Just to show how awesome Levy can be on his day:

:llorishuh: :eriksenlol: :levylol:

You've just been Levy'd

:dwi:
tumblr_mb669gJ4qI1rn325to1_500.jpg

Levy+Money.gif

Just out of curiosity, what do you guys think of Chicarito? I would personally love to see him in a spurs shirt, but apparently not many of my friends rate him. What are you're thoughts? I think that if we were to bid for him, he would be interested in signing for us, as we can provide consistent first team football for him, compared to Man U.
Agree! Made one or two pro Hernandez posts recently. Send Soldado back home and bid a 8 mill for Hernandez. 26. Got something to prove. Would fit in well with Poch's high Octane style of play. A real grafter.
And I can see him, linking up well with Lamela/Eriksen and Ade.

But on the other side of that, he often hangs on to players uselessly, trying to scrounge out every million, when sometimes it's better to just get them off the books.

Gomes, for one.

I guess, besides Gomes I can't really think of anyone. Maybe Bentley? But I don't think teams were lining up to buy him.

Agree! Made one or two pro Hernandez posts recently. Send Soldado back home and bid a 8 mill for Hernandez. 26. Got something to prove. Would fit in well with Poch's high Octane style of play. A real grafter.
And I can see him, linking up well with Lamela/Eriksen and Ade.

Soldado adds so much more to the game than Hernandez. Hernandez must play with another striker because he doesn't add to the game at all. He is a pure poacher and isn't that good. He would be a solid option coming off the bench looking for a goal, but not good enough to be a consistent starter. He would fit Poch's pressing style though. About your last line, I can't see him linking up with them well at all.

Would everybody just stop bringing up Chicharito? Why are so many so quick to mention Soldado having a poor scoring year this past season yet give Hernandez a free pass? He was absolutely dreadful this past year. He hardly got any playing time for United and couldn't buy a goal for his national team. He was benched for Mexico he was so bad. He went from being Mexico's favorite player to a glorified super sub behind Oribe Peralta and Jimenez. He can't pass, he can't hold up the ball, he doesn't really have a good shot, he gets flagged for offside more than anyone I watch, he is just a through an through poacher that is usually at the right place at the right time. If you hate Soldado on our team as a poacher, you will hate Chicharito even more.

I really wish the transfer season ended before the season started. Its about time we had some continuity in the squad and it would be nice to have a settled team that could just focus on football. I'm getting so fucking tired of some of these ridiculous rumors and the constant debate about who is good enough, who should be sold, etc. I swear somebody brings up Chicharito every 20 pages. No matter what we say about how shit he is, somebody else will bring him up in about 20 pages. I don't know why I come on here anymore. Its the same thing over and over again during silly season.

Last edited:
Would everybody just stop bringing up Chicharito? Why are so many so quick to mention Soldado having a poor scoring year this past season yet give Hernandez a free pass? He was absolutely dreadful this past year. He hardly got any playing time for United and couldn't buy a goal for his national team. He was benched for Mexico he was so bad. He went from being Mexico's favorite player to a glorified super sub behind Oribe Peralta and Jimenez. He can't pass, he can't hold up the ball, he doesn't really have a good shot, he gets flagged for offside more than anyone I watch, he is just a through an through poacher that is usually at the right place at the right time. If you hate Soldado on our team as a poacher, you will hate Chicharito even more.

I really wish the transfer season ended before the season started. Its about time we had some continuity in the squad and it would be nice to have a settled team that could just focus on football. I'm getting so fucking tired of some of these ridiculous rumors and the constant debate about who is good enough, who should be sold, etc. I swear somebody brings up Chicharito every 20 pages. No matter what we say about how shit he is, somebody else will bring him up in about 20 pages. I don't know why I come on here anymore. Its the same thing over and over again during silly season.

Agree fully, I don't know which Hernandez everyone has been watching but this goal hanger is the opposite of the hard working forward we are looking for, his type are dying in general - no good for us

And Although he is a prick I have to say when Mourinho came out and said their window was over 19th of July, so they can get organized and dont get involved in the August bullshit I was impressed, would love spurs to do that and end all this shit, I hope we dont sign anyone else

Hernandez over Soldado? If we thought our attack was flat and uncreative last year, why the hell would we want to bring in someone who is the text book definition of a poacher? I swear, some people just want to bring in new players just to sign new players, even of there is no justification.

The absolute ONLY reason Levy would bring in Chicharito would be to expand the market in Mexico. He's still absolutely huge down there and a lot of it bleeds up in the the Southwest United States. I cannot even remember the number of arguments I've had saying he's a fucking awful player. He was great in Liga MX cause it's filled with a bunch of slow ass defenders.

Before someone comes along and says something mentioning a fact that I clearly know. Yes, he's had a lot of goals with Manchester United, but I think that a lot of that was out of sheer luck.

The absolute ONLY reason Levy would bring in Chicharito would be to expand the market in Mexico. He's still absolutely huge down there and a lot of it bleeds up in the the Southwest United States. I cannot even remember the number of arguments I've had saying he's a fucking awful player. He was great in Liga MX cause it's filled with a bunch of slow ass defenders.

Before someone comes along and says something mentioning a fact that I clearly know. Yes, he's had a lot of goals with Manchester United, but I think that a lot of that was out of sheer luck.
I don't think we are at that stage where we would buy a player that doesn't really suit or style of play just to expand into a market. I know we are chasing Yedlin and we are looking to expand in the US but he has much more of an upside...

Do we really need another central midfielder that can't score or set up our strikers?

I think schniederlin would be a direct replacement for Sandro, I guess it's really whether poch sees him as an upgrade or not , not to fussed either way to be honest but managers do have players they love and perhaps schniederlin is pochs type of player.

Tottenham Hotspur are willing to listen to offers for an entire team’s worth of players in their desperate attempt to cut down the size of Mauricio Pochettino’s squad. Andros Townsend and Aaron Lennon are among the 11 players who face uncertain futures before the transfer window shuts at the end of the month.
Head coach Pochettino and chairman Daniel Levy want to bring the squad down to 25 and face a race against time to move players on.

With Spurs still hoping to sign new players, Pochettino and Levy will consider bids for up to 11 men in the hope of getting rid of around five of them.
Queens Park Rangers have targeted Townsend, but Spurs are also open to offers for former England international Lennon. It is unlikely both wingers will leave.

Striker Loïc Remy could be offered to Tottenham as part of a QPR bid to sign Townsend, which may be tempting to Pochettino – particularly if he can offload Roberto Soldado. The Spaniard is part of Pochettino’s plans, but Spurs would consider selling him if they can line up a replacement.

Tottenham would like to find a buyer for Nacer Chadli, even though the Belgium international wants to stay and PSV Eindhoven do not want him as any part of a Spurs bid for Memphis Depay.
Defenders Michael Dawson, Benoît Assou-Ekotto and Kyle Naughton are all available, while Roma are understood to be interested in Vlad Chiriches.

Spurs are in negotiations to sign £17 million-rated Mateo Musacchio from Villarreal. Toby Alderweireld, who has interested the club in the past, has been made available by Atlético Madrid.
With Levy still hopeful of convincing Southampton to sell Morgan
Schneiderlin, Spurs need to trim their midfield and are open to offers for Sandro, Étienne Capoue and Mousa Dembele.

Levy’s task is being made more difficult by the valuations he is putting on a number of Spurs’ unwanted players. He succeeded in negotiating a £10 million fee for Gylfi Sigurdsson to return to Swansea.
But Hull were put off 30-year-old captain Dawson because of his £6 million price tag and Swansea refused to pay a similar fee for Naughton. Levy wants around £15 million for Sandro, £13 million for Soldado and £10 million for Townsend and Lennon.

Zenit St Petersburg, where former Tottenham manager Andre Villas-Boas is in charge, are interested in Sandro.
Spurs have so far signed defender Ben Davies and goalkeeper Michel Vorm from Swansea, and Eric Dier from Sporting Lisbon.

If all of those links came true regarding our "attackers", I would probably put a 20 foot statue of Poch in my garden and worship it daily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom