Summer 2014 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
What sort of football do his sides play?
Attacking, free flowing, penetrative football. Likes all his midfielders to be fluid and creative, so that teams cannot simply man mark key players out of the game (which was what was happening to Pirlo). Italy are heaps more attractive to watch since he took over.
Managerially he's a bit of a father figure - looks after his players (got a good relationship with Balotelli for example), wants them to work hard but go out and have fun. Not afraid of integrating youngsters either.
Apparently he was in Oxford a few months ago taking an intensive course which involved spending 10 hours per day in a room only talking English.

Could you elaborate on why you think so mate? I know fuck all about how he manages. Looking at his career history as a manager, it's a bit underwhelming, to my uneducated eye
All you have to do is look at how he has transformed the Italian national team in recent times.

All you have to do is look at how he has transformed the Italian national team in recent times.
That isn't "all you have to do". Plenty of managers have had decent runs as national coach, but have struggled in day to day management.

Van Gaal has had success at every single top club he's managed. That's the pedigree you want. It would be bonkers if we passed him over for someone who's simply had a good run as a national coach.

I dont trust that as a barometer because its so different to club management. Not saying I don't think he'd be any good for us, here. I don't reallh have an opinion on the prospect, it's just his club cv I was looking at

Personally I think we just need players that a A LOT bloody better than we already have. The teams above us have the likes of Suarez, Rooney, RVP, Hazard, Mata.
Before you say anything Eriksen is not in their league yet and don't even mention Lamela, just don't.
Of course, we could do without constantly switching up managers and imposing changes of ideas and lack on continuity but really, we just need some players who are really going to take our team to the next level.
No idea how we are going to get them though, we just don't have the draw and can't pay the wages at the moment.

Personally I think we just need players that a A LOT bloody better than we already have. The teams above us have the likes of Suarez, Rooney, RVP, Hazard, Mata [...] No idea how we are going to get them though, we just don't have the draw and can't pay the wages at the moment.
Thank you for being so helpful. I will pass this advice on to Levy for his consideration.

Oh, and Rooney, RVP, and Mata are actually all below us at the moment, and Suarez probably likes to steal candy off of little children.

Thank you for being so helpful. I will pass this advice on to Levy for his consideration.

Oh, and Rooney, RVP, and Mata are actually all below us at the moment, and Suarez probably likes to steal candy off of little children.
Should have said it was stating the obvious but...well...it is obvious. Players like Holtby, Suggurdsson, Capue might be attractive because we could possibly move them on at a profit but none of them have really improved the team imo. Any one of Mata, Rooney or RVP would instantly improve us. But again, we aren't in the position to get these players.

Personally I think we just need players that a A LOT bloody better than we already have. The teams above us have the likes of Suarez, Rooney, RVP, Hazard, Mata.
Before you say anything Eriksen is not in their league yet and don't even mention Lamela, just don't.
Of course, we could do without constantly switching up managers and imposing changes of ideas and lack on continuity but really, we just need some players who are really going to take our team to the next level.
No idea how we are going to get them though, we just don't have the draw and can't pay the wages at the moment.
As you identify, it's really the wages that are the main stumbling block. People talk about having CL football, but when we had it players weren't lining up to join precisely because we couldn't pay them £200k a week. That's why we've had to rely on buying players when they are relatively unknown and hoping they come good. Modric, Bale et al.

Now, there really isn't any reason that players like Lamela won't come good under the right manager. I, for one, remember the hysterical calls for Bale to be sold when he was the jinx who was never on the winning side. Things can change very quickly.

True but the problem we also have there is by the time Lamela may come good, who's to say Vertonghen and Lloris haven't been sold to PSG/City/Some other super rich team.

We NEED world class/players that are going to hugely improve the team, now. Not players that potentially may become world class in 5 seasons time when we will probably have a completely different team.

Unfortunately, the reality is the latter is really our only option.

That isn't "all you have to do". Plenty of managers have had decent runs as national coach, but have struggled in day to day management.

Van Gaal has had success at every single top club he's managed. That's the pedigree you want. It would be bonkers if we passed him over for someone who's simply had a good run as a national coach.
This isn't a Van Gaal vs Prandelli argument friend. Prandelli would easily be one of the best candidates, and we'd be lucky to get someone like him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom