Summer 2014 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not just wages - it's all of the other things that also work in our favour when we are trying to sign players like the training ground, being based in London, having a reputation for building players up and selling them on to Real or United, etc

You can't really blame our players for turning their noses up at the prospect of going to Hull.
Dawson to Real Madrid or United???? Get in there.

Break down if you can of how that list is £60 million plus of talent. Not a hope.
Holtby - 7m
Chadli - 9m
Chiriches - 12m (He was bought for around 10)
Dawson - 2m
Soldado - 12m
Townsend - 10m
Sandro - 10m
62m

MS - 17m
MM - 18m
Depay - 22m
57m

I don't think any of those prices are unreasonable. Again, this does not happen in real life, this is video game shit, but I do think that is 60m worth of talent.

If you think we will get £12m for Chiriches then I hope Levy gets you on the board if directors . Nobody will give that kind of money for Soldado after last season either in my opinion. But hey- I hope you're right cos £62 mil would trim the squad & produce some wad. Which we will keep for the next manager to not spend before blaming him for the clubs dismal failure & booting him. :adelol:

If Chiriches is going to Roma I bet we get a larger than expected fee. They are going to be making him a Benatia replacement who is going to go for potentially well over 30 million. Levy will be erect thinking about how to pry some of that from them.

Townsend shouldn't be sold. End of. It's just way too early, let alone other reasons.
If any wide men should be sold, it ought to be Lennon and/or Chadli.

If it was up to me, I'd ...

1. Sell Chadli and Lennon - and buy Depay (or Jay Rod in January)
2. Sell Dawson - and buy Musacchio
3. Sell Sandro and one of Paulo or Dembele - and buy Schneiderlin
4. Sell Soldado - and buy Remy
And in addition, I'd let free BAE.
And I'd loan out Bentaleb, Carroll, and Mason

So we would end up looking like:

GK: Lloris, Vorm, Friedel
FB: Walker, Naughton, Yedlin, Rose, Davies
CB: Verts, Musacchio, Dier, Kaboom, Vlad
CM: Schneiderlin, Holtby, Capoue, Dembele (or Paulo)
AM: Eriksen, Lamela, Townsend, Depay
ST: Ade, Remy, Kane

If this would happen, I'd be over the moooooon!!!
That's 17 non-HG and 7 HG. We would decrease the squad's size, while still increasing the quality.

Last edited:
Townsend shouldn't be sold. End of. It's just way too early, let alone other reasons.

That's 17 non-HG and 7 HG. We would decrease the squad's size, while still increasing the quality.

Would be delighted with this. Someone get this guy a job.

That would be soooo good. I'd keep Soldado though and not pursue Remy.

That would be soooo good. I'd keep Soldado though and not pursue Remy.

For me, Remy is two years younger, can play both wide and striker, and offers assured Prem goals. We have no idea whether or not Soldado will shake his slump, but we know Remy will at least provide a few goals. With Ade set to likely go off to the ACoN this year, I have to admit I'd take the more assured option at this point. The fact he's also younger certainly helps to factor in.

Depay ain't coming our way. Hot property round Europe even amongst elite teams in CL. I will be amazed if he joins. We are becoming dizzy with where we are & who will come. Let's build stealthily under the new manager & then start dreaming. The manager wants MS & should get him. He wants MM & should get him too. Let's see what he does with the players HE wants & judge him in 12 months if he dodges the bullet along the way. & if he wants Depay he needs to fight off the others & tell Levy to cough up the cash.

Was reading that there's a chance we could be bringing in Alex Song on a free loan from Barca. Doesn't make very much sense to me. We're not trying to bring in MS cause we need to fill that position, but rather cause of his experience with Poch.

After West Ham I'm thinking that a striker still needs to be on our radar in a big way. Unless Adebayor gets interested we might have a very real problem up top (again). It's been said before, but Harry Kane is not ready to be a primary backup. The man cannot dribble. Although Soldado's terrible outing against Schalke makes me think that it's en vogue to have strikers that can't dribble at all. Haha.

There was a period where I was saying that I think we're okay with the squad that we have, and I'm going to disagree with myself and say that we definitely need to shore up. We still need a LW and we still need a RB. I'm not sure if shifting Dier to RB is the solution and then bringing in a CB, but something needs to happen on that side in the back.

Striker, LW, RB/CB.

Depay ain't coming our way. Hot property round Europe even amongst elite teams in CL. I will be amazed if he joins. We are becoming dizzy with where we are & who will come. Let's build stealthily under the new manager & then start dreaming. The manager wants MS & should get him. He wants MM & should get him too. Let's see what he does with the players HE wants & judge him in 12 months if he dodges the bullet along the way. & if he wants Depay he needs to fight off the others & tell Levy to cough up the cash.

I agree with what you're saying here, but Depay is not above our level. Were he to go to a bigger club, he'd rock the pinewood; while at us, he'd very likely start soon from the off. If we managed to pull in Christian Eriksen, the MVP of the reigning Dutch champions, we very well could pull in Memphis Depay.

Was reading that there's a chance we could be bringing in Alex Song on a free loan from Barca. Doesn't make very much sense to me. We're not trying to bring in MS cause we need to fill that position, but rather cause of his experience with Poch.

After West Ham I'm thinking that a striker still needs to be on our radar in a big way. Unless Adebayor gets interested we might have a very real problem up top (again). It's been said before, but Harry Kane is not ready to be a primary backup. The man cannot dribble. Although Soldado's terrible outing against Schalke makes me think that it's en vogue to have strikers that can't dribble at all. Haha.

There was a period where I was saying that I think we're okay with the squad that we have, and I'm going to disagree with myself and say that we definitely need to shore up. We still need a LW and we still need a RB. I'm not sure if shifting Dier to RB is the solution and then bringing in a CB, but something needs to happen on that side in the back.

Striker, LW, RB/CB.

Good post.

Don't think there's any chance in us buying another RB for the time being and especially after buying Yedlin. I think with buying Musacchio, for the time Walker is out, we will likely go with Naughton with cover offered by Kaboul and Dier. We really need that CB, as not only does it strengthen us but also allows us to become more flexible.

If we have even a decent bid for Soldado, for the reasons you cite, I agree that I think we should bite. If he was younger I think we could afford to wait, especially while we have a new coach and our expectations should not be as high for the season. But he's 29, we just can't wait around for him to get his confidence back. An option such as Remy would be perfect, as because he's French he would provide cover while Ade's off at the ACoN this winter, could provide cover on the wings, and is 27 so gives us a solid senior option for at least another three years not only for himself, but allows Kane more time to develop. Is staggered, Ade at 30, Remy at 27, Kane at 21; rather than top heavy with two senior strikers at 30 and 29 and then Kane all the way down at 21. And I agree, Kane will need that time, as he has got to learn how to dribble ffs.

Is anyone else surprised by the lack players leaving?

Not really. We dont need that much, and Poch has said he's happy with the squad as opposed to "we are looking at certain areas etc"

Spurs are always linked with players.....it doesnt make it more likely to happen, the more you want the player though.

Striker, LW, RB/CB.
Actually, I may be in the minority ...
But I think Song is a decent alternative for Schneiderlin if Poch really wants that certain type of midfield guy. Imo, although a gooner-scum, he was brilliant at ArseAnal. Song was instrumental, especially when relating him with RVP. He had a heavy factor in RVP's goal scoring record there. Song is that defensive player, who has those attacking (DLP-ish) qualities ... just like MS. The main concern about him is kind of like Fabregas's situation. We know they have the quality and experience of the PL, but the question is if they have the mentality to reproduce it again here, (which btw, Fabregas clearly showed yesterday). Any thoughts? Or any comments on his Barca days?

Last edited:
Chiriches needs to stay. He has ample potential and when we have Dawson and Kaboul still here too, and Vertonghen maybe leaving next year? No. Idiotic move if true. We already got rid of Caulker for him, what we going to let him leave too?

Also, Ade going to ACON again? FFS. More than ever we need someone like Depay. A creator.

Good post.

Don't think there's any chance in us buying another RB for the time being and especially after buying Yedlin. I think with buying Musacchio, for the time Walker is out, we will likely go with Naughton with cover offered by Kaboul and Dier. We really need that CB, as not only does it strengthen us but also allows us to become more flexible.

If we have even a decent bid for Soldado, for the reasons you cite, I agree that I think we should bite. If he was younger I think we could afford to wait, especially while we have a new coach and our expectations should not be as high for the season. But he's 29, we just can't wait around for him to get his confidence back. An option such as Remy would be perfect, as because he's French he would provide cover while Ade's off at the ACoN this winter, could provide cover on the wings, and is 27 so gives us a solid senior option for at least another three years not only for himself, but allows Kane more time to develop. Is staggered, Ade at 30, Remy at 27, Kane at 21; rather than top heavy with two senior strikers at 30 and 29 and then Kane all the way down at 21. And I agree, Kane will need that time, as he has got to learn how to dribble ffs.

I really like Soldado. I like his fight and I like his ability pretty much at any time other than when he's trying to score. If it had been Soldado instead of Dier do you think he would have scored? I'm honestly not sure. I've backed the man and fully expect him to come good this year, but I don't think it's smart to wait and see. I would take a bid for Ade or Robbie at this point.

I agree that the staggered ages are nice, but I don't see Remy as anything other than a short term option. He's good, but I'm not positive he's what we need to make a real press in the future. I think that if we don't get a new striker this year we're going to have a BIG problem next year.

For LW at this point I'm not entirely sure, but someone like Adrian Ramos would be solid. Again, someone that's getting up there in age that hasn't played in the Premier League, I know. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem that Levy is willing to shell out the money that's required to bring in a truly developed world class LW (which might be what we're going to have to do next year).

I really like Soldado. I like his fight and I like his ability pretty much at any time other than when he's trying to score. If it had been Soldado instead of Dier do you think he would have scored? I'm honestly not sure. I've backed the man and fully expect him to come good this year, but I don't think it's smart to wait and see. I would take a bid for Ade or Robbie at this point.

I agree that the staggered ages are nice, but I don't see Remy as anything other than a short term option. He's good, but I'm not positive he's what we need to make a real press in the future. I think that if we don't get a new striker this year we're going to have a BIG problem next year.

For LW at this point I'm not entirely sure, but someone like Adrian Ramos would be solid. Again, someone that's getting up there in age that hasn't played in the Premier League, I know. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem that Levy is willing to shell out the money that's required to bring in a truly developed world class LW (which might be what we're going to have to do next year).

Who else would you propose at striker? Ideally I'd love Bony, but he presents the problem of also leaving for the ACoN, and doesn't provide the advantage of cover on the wings. Otherwise, we're now having to search on the outside and therefore no guarantee for goals. I like Destro for his youth, but he's not guarantee. Same with Martial at Monaco, but he doesn't have as much experience as Destro.

I agree though, striker will become a massive problem as soon as next year if we don't bring in a younger striker now.

Actually, I may be in the minority ... but I think Song is a decent alternative (for Schneiderlin) if Poch really wants that certain type of midfield guy. Imo, although a gooner-scum, he was brilliant at ArseAnal. Song was instrumental, especially when relating him with RVP. He had a heavy factor in RVP's goal scoring record there. Song is that defensive player, who has those attacking (DLP-ish) qualities ... just like MS. His situation could kind of be like that of Fabregas's. We know they have the quality and experience of the PL, but the question is if they have the mentality to reproduce it again here. Any thoughts?

Song has been in steady decline since he left Woolwich. Clearly they have faith that he's hit a rough patch, cause why else would you loan a 26 year old? He had a shit World Cup, and I never actually looked into the details of that bunch from Cameroon, but I'm not entirely sure I trust bringing any Cameroonian's onboard until that fiasco is investigated fully.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom