Spurs v Leicester- bring on da juju

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The result just highlights that we have a big squad, but not a good squad.
So by this rationale, neither Chelsea nor City have good squads either.

It was one game. It was annoying. They weren't as good as they can be. They will be better, they will be worse. It's football.

Not in any way having a pop at anyone here, merely trying to bring a touch of sanity to all this. And convince myself that life hasn't quite ended. That might be coming Wed night.

Strongest available side for everything. I'm sure there will be changes but please not to the possible detriment of progressing on all fronts. A trophy this year would be fantastic- whichever one of the 3 we are still left in- & preferably all 3! The difficulty is that even if we beat Sheffield & get to the final, we could still very easily come away from Wembley empty handed, & still be out of the FA cup if we don't go in with our strongest possible team for each match. Poch will have this all planned out, I'm sure but talk of dropping & resting players could easily backfire & leave us struggling in these games & possibly losing them. Games that are a struggle can leave players more physically & emotionally drained than playing more games in which they are a relatively easy nights work. Plus, losing games is a bad habit to get into.

I personally still feel that there's something extra special about the FA Cup, although you're right that the same teams are favourited.
There's nothing special about it. People say this because occasionally, very occasionally a non-league team might make it to the latter rounds and this supposedly shows the great romance of the cup. But it's bollocks. A league team and, more often than not, a top flight team, will inevitably win it in the modern era. The game is far more imbalanced than when the cup was set up, when it really was possible to win it as a non-league side.

These days the FA Cup really isn't any different from the other cups and, frankly, I think that winning any of them is equally as good, even if the route to the league cup final is slightly easier. In fact, I'd argue that winning the Europa League is actually a tougher task than the FA Cup these days and should probably be regarded as a grander achievement. Not that we have done any recently, but still....

Remember wanting to go home at half time, and singing Take That songs all the way home, but replacing words with 'Ronnie'...... Could it Be Ronnie (instead of Magic), Relight My Ronnie (Fire), A Million Ronnies (Love Songs)

Drunk-woman-on-bench-006.jpg

Mrs Perryman, Southampton Central station, mid 90s

is anyone really surprised?

Havent been watching but when the commentary teams are saying spurs are playing a dangerous game at 1-0 by being too laid back and players doing tricks with the crowd giving ole's you cant be blamed to be thinking its a poor attitude.

Great chance to win the cup gone.

Oh dear. Another Poch Classic. Far too narrow. Far too slow. Can't break an average team down AT HOME ! I think that's happened before ?????

Anyone fancy this bunch of cunts beating United away on Wednesday ? I don't

We won't be playing the B team against United during the week, all this has proven is our B team is shit and JDK JDK is right, we should play our excellent youth team players when we want to field a B team as at least they will fight and learn something.

I suppose I should be writing how livid I am and when you look at how we unravelled in the end you can't really defend that.

I have been here before, going out of the cup early and there was nothing to play for for the rest of the season. I am not going to say that makes it ok but clearly we're in a reasonable shout for the league cup (notice how no other semi finalist won yesterday?) a reasonable League position is possible and we're still in the Europa League.

The point is that we still have a hell of a lot to play for and though I don't ever want out of of the FA cup, it's a not as horrible as a barren rest of season as I have experienced in previous seasons.

It's that whole narrative of we lost to a shit team therefore we must have been shit, as far as I can make out we were cruising to a 1-0 win, switched off for a minute, they punished us and had the momentum to push on and win while we were still attempting to get our arses back into gear.

We were. We were controlling the game and looked comfortable until the lucky bounce got them their equaliser. I think most people have just watched the BBC highlights and judged the game on that alone.

Paulinho, Capoue and Dembele actually did ok, a few stupid misplaced passes aside (which just about everyone did) they held possession well with some one touch triangles.

Townsend and Lamela both did ok, although both need to learn to release the ball quicker. They kept to the wings quite often and stretched Leicester as a result; an early pass could have been better.

Soldado had a good game. He was so tenacious. Every time a ball came over the top which he had no chance of heading (vs a giant CB) he still went in for it, still fought for every ball. Won it a good few times too. Won the penalty with a lovely turn, completely did the defender. Also his tenaciousness should have seen their guy sent off for slapping him in the face, which he did because he realised Soldado had gotten the better of him. Don't know why the ref only booked him for it, could be because the Leicester fans were baying for ref blood after booking their guy for diving.

Fazio was great, Kaboul fine, Chiriches and Rose ok except some silly errors, especially Rose with some terrible passes.

Vorm some great saves and commanded the box well, just let himself down at the end with that fumble.

The result just highlights that we have a big squad, but not a good squad. Aside from 13/14 players we have a lot of shit on our books.

Outside of Chadli / Eriksen and Kane there is no one you would trust to score in the entire squad.

Back
Top Bottom