Southampton vs Spursy Spurs

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Villa are far closer to us in status than Woolwich, and it is eminently arguable that if they win the FA Cup that will mean they become the clear 6th biggest club in the country.
I'll be honest Greavsie, I really don't think that winning the FA Cup would mean that for Aston Villa. It's hardly like they have an ambitious owner who would use it as a springboard to success.

Also...

48263.jpg

I'll be honest Greavsie, I really don't think that winning the FA Cup would mean that for Aston Villa. It's hardly like they have an ambitious owner who would use it as a springboard to success.

Also...

48263.jpg
Well I refer the honourable gentleman to my previous answers. Basically they're a lot closer to us than Woolwich, who are outta sight whether they win or lose the final. For me, I couldn't argue with any conviction against the idea that Villa would be at least joint 6th with us, should they win the FA Cup. Wigan are nothing like Villa, so that picture to me is totally irrelevant.:thumbup:

To be honest I think Villa and Everton are very much level with us in terms of big club status and I don't think a cup here or there is going to make much difference, it's such a subjective thing anyway and relies on so many different variables. But even if it did mean Villa "overtaking" us or something like that, I'd still rather them win the cup than the scum, 1000%.

Well that got a bit lively :) But I stand by my view 100%.

Villa are far closer to us in status than Woolwich, and it is eminently arguable that if they win the FA Cup that will mean they become the clear 6th biggest club in the country. It will also embarrass even more those who spent so long slagging off Sherwood, but that's another matter. We will never catch Woolwich while ENIC are in charge, but I don't want us overtaken by Villa, (or indeed West Ham who may become another threat with the OS).

It's not my fault ENIC have led us into the trophy drought that now sees Villa threatening our status in the hierarchy. Had we the type of billionaire benefactor that I so want and yet many don't want, then Villa wouldn't be the threat they now are. :coys:

You are an absolute mong.

Have to disagree DF. As you can see from this http://www.krysstal.com/trophies.html Villa already lead us in the trophy table, and an FA Cup will not only put them further ahead, it will mean they have a more recent trophy than us. To make things a little worse, this is the FA Cup we're talking about, our last two trophies have been the most minor of the majors, the Lge Cup.

For me Villa winning the FA Cup means they have a very strong claim to be the 6th biggest club. (City have fewer trophies, but they are still ahead of Villa for me, because they have Prem titles to their credit plus a far bigger income, which puts them ahead for me).

And of course, all the above re trophy comparisons is directly relevant to ENIC as they have 'led' us to our worst trophy drought since the 1930s!
My point was they are a big club already and arguably bigger than us having won the European cup twice. That's nothing to do with ENIC and really won't be altered if the win the FA cup this season. They still have an owner who will not invest but as soon as they do (if they do) they would immediately but challengers for our position.

Greaves357_bestever Greaves357_bestever the problem is that you're basing this all down to trophy haul. In that sense, yes, Aston Villa are just above us in the 'all time' club size - but let's be honest, they have been dancing around relegation these past few seasons. Villa aren't as big as us right now at all.

Using your logic, we're four trophies 'ahead' of Manchester City, so they should be worried about us winning cups. But the reality is that their recent (and therefore relevent) history places them far above us in terms of wealth and player quality.

Either way, if this was a conversation about Villa vs. Reading in the final, I'd understand your logic... but they are against Woolwich for christ's sake! Unless Champions League qualification was on the line, I can't fathom why any Spurs fan wouldn't want Villa to win.

A couple of days ago, the forum was laughing about how out of touch Sky were for writing this:

http://www1.skysports.com/football/...for-Woolwich-in-fa-cup-for-euro-qualification

Hi DF, I explained it in the post, but I've since given a fuller explanation. It's all about the relative status of us, Villa and Woolwich.

There's also the Europa League to consider. Now I'm not too bothered about that as I don't think Poch knows how to balance the priorities properly. But IF he sees sense and we don't get another Florentine fiasco, for example, then I might want Villa to win for EL considerations too, but certainly it's about the 'bigger club' aspect for me.
Seriously?
SFW? They won all their shit in the 1800s didn't they? No matter, I'd rather see my granny getting gang banged than watch the goons win a knobbly knees competition, let alone the FA cup.
No wonder you get people wound up.

To be fair they've got a great chance of getting into Europe & if Villa win the final then only 5th and 6th get Europa so this game suddenly means a lot for both of us
I`m still trying to get me head around this business of Villa having to win the FA cup to qualify for Europe. If this is the case, how is it that Hull qualified for this seasons competition after losing to Woolwich in the final, at the expense of Man United who finished 7th ?
:paulinhowtf:

I`m still trying to get me head around this business of Villa having to win the FA cup to qualify for Europe. If this is the case, how is it that Hull qualified for this seasons competition after losing to Woolwich in the final, at the expense of Man United who finished 7th ?
I think Joe Clash Joe Clash clarified this the other day but essentially the rules were changed last July so that runner up no longer gets the place, it is given to the league position.

They changed the rules last summer from the FA Cup winners or runner ups (if the winners were already in Europe) to just the winners.
Could be down to how poorly some of these FA Cup runner-up teams have performed in the Europa league. Give the spot to 7th (or 6th) place instead, and the team qualifying will likely do better - therefore helping England's european coefficient. Or something like that.

At least it means that the league cup and FA cup now have the same rules applying to them.

A major,reason we can't support the Goooons in the FA cup apart from the obvious..............
currently we are the ONLY club since 1900 to have retained the FA cup TWICE 60/61 61/62 and 80/81 and 81/82 ........the Goons and Chelski have retained it only once........and the Dippers and Mancs have MEVER retained the FA CuP

Well I refer the honourable gentleman to my previous answers. Basically they're a lot closer to us than Woolwich, who are outta sight whether they win or lose the final. For me, I couldn't argue with any conviction against the idea that Villa would be at least joint 6th with us, should they win the FA Cup. Wigan are nothing like Villa, so that picture to me is totally irrelevant.:thumbup:
Woolwich are 9 points ahead of us and Villa are 25 behind. In terms of quality we are closer to Woolwich.

When it comes to club size, Villa have fewer fans, never qualify for Europe and are a mess financially. They have a good history, but they aren't a threat to us whatsoever.

My point was they are a big club already and arguably bigger than us having won the European cup twice. That's nothing to do with ENIC and really won't be altered if the win the FA cup this season. They still have an owner who will not invest but as soon as they do (if they do) they would immediately but challengers for our position.
Fair comments Dixie, we differ obviously, but you agree with me that there is some similarity at least in status between us and Villa, whereas Woolwich left both clubs trailing in their dust years ago.

So for me it's simple, Villa are nearer to us than Woolwich, therefore I prefer Woolwich to win.

Greaves357_bestever Greaves357_bestever the problem is that you're basing this all down to trophy haul. In that sense, yes, Aston Villa are just above us in the 'all time' club size - but let's be honest, they have been dancing around relegation these past few seasons. Villa aren't as big as us right now at all.

Using your logic, we're four trophies 'ahead' of Manchester City, so they should be worried about us winning cups. But the reality is that their recent (and therefore relevent) history places them far above us in terms of wealth and player quality.

Either way, if this was a conversation about Villa vs. Reading in the final, I'd understand your logic... but they are against Woolwich for christ's sake! Unless Champions League qualification was on the line, I can't fathom why any Spurs fan wouldn't want Villa to win.

A couple of days ago, the forum was laughing about how out of touch Sky were for writing this:

http://www1.skysports.com/football/...for-Woolwich-in-fa-cup-for-euro-qualification
Hi TLD, I'm NOT basing my analysis just on trophy haul. Please read my other posts in this thread. I must say I find your incorrect analysis and lecturing me on what I already know and have stated in this thread, and other threads as well on the question of bigness, somewhat irritating. I hope you will withdraw these misguided comments, cheers Greavesie.

Lloris
Yedlin - Fazio - Vertonghen - Rose
Dembele - Bentaleb
Lamela - Eriksen - Chadli
Kane​

I'd play that if Lloris and Rose are both fit. I think it would be brave playing Yedlin but I feel that unpredictability in his game could be a benefit to us, not to mention his pace. Fazio and Vertonghen deserve another start together and Rose is one of the first names on the teamsheet.

Despite a rare solid performance from Paulinho, I'd opt with a more physical presence in Dembele in midfield alongside Bentaleb. I'd also start the same front four that started the Newcastle game.

If Lloris and Rose aren't fit. Then Vorm and Davies come in for them and our style of play changes. I personally think with the above line up, we scrape a 1-2 win.

Back
Top Bottom