Southampton vs Spursy Spurs

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

For me we're battling for 6th place in the hierarchy with Everton and Villa (a key reason why I'm supporting Woolwich in the FA Cup final)
giphy.gif

To be honest I think Villa and Everton are very much level with us in terms of big club status and I don't think a cup here or there is going to make much difference, it's such a subjective thing anyway and relies on so many different variables. But even if it did mean Villa "overtaking" us or something like that, I'd still rather them win the cup than the scum, 1000%.

He has cost us 3 points in 2 games now ... lost the header v Benteke and again today.
Vertonghen is the best centre half at the club by a country mile.
Why has he cost us the points? Why hasn't Kane cost us the points for failing to score? Why hasn't Davies cost us the points for his dreadful defensive performances? Why is it Fazio? What about Lloris for not positioning himself better and saving the goals?

At the end of the day it's a team game. We look better with Fazio at the back, regardless of if he gives the ball away or loses one header in ten.

I couldn't care less about Villa winning.

Woolwich winning makes my blood boil. Think that's on par with most Spurs' fans view. Villa all the way!

I cannot wait for this as its my first away game. There is still a very real chance that we can finish 5th which imho is important.

Iv been to St Mary's a few times this season as my Dad is a fan and their support has become as entitled as ours (and in only a few months no less). Horrible atmosphere.

We can sing them off the park. Hopefully the boys will play them off the park too.

WE'RE TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR, WE SING WHAT WE WANT

Fair enough Mick, if that's how you feel.

To me what Spurs have achieved in the past is very important to me. Both the stuff I have witnessed at the ground(s) or on a screen, and indeed stuff I haven't witnessed such as the 1901 Cup Final(s), which for me are at the very core of our being. The league table of 1961 still gives me a very warm feeling, and contrariwise the hurt I suffered watching that Benfica game in 62 still gnaws away at me to this very day.

Indded, nothing that happens at St Mary's today, will come remotely close to being as important as that day in 78, where we played out a very handy draw that saw us promoted and Saints as Div 2 winners and left Brighton fuming at what was in their eyes a very 'convenient' result.

Had we not got promoted that season, Villa and Ardilles would never have happened, Hodd may well have left us and for better or worse where we are now would be very different.
The history of the club is important to me as well, to a degree - as it defines what we as a club have always tried to aspire to - as long as the management of the club choose to adhere to it. If the next owners choose to model us around the butchery of Estudiantes, then its not going to mean a damn thing though.
Having a marginally better or slightly worse trophy count means absolutely nothing to me when it comes to the outcome of the next FA Cup final though, I support 2 teams, as the old joke goes - Spurs and anyone playing Arse***
History is obviously a part of the club, and to you the Benfica result might mean something, in the same way as it did to the 13 year old Mick Cooper who left WHL in 71 in tears after witnessing the loss to the goons - but I would definitely say that the loss to them was far more bitterly recalled or recounted than losing to some Portuguese collective of hackers and cheats. Whilst it might have the same kudos points as todays CL, the reality is that the European cup back then was Texaco cup stuff in comparison, in the same way that the 61 squad would struggle in todays top flight amateur leagues.
As for flights of fancy about what happened back in 78 - who's to say that had we stayed down, we might not have been taken over by a conglomerate of venture capitalists who had invested heavily in the club and we had gone on to dominate the game in the way that Liverpool did around that time. "Ifs and buts" are worthless about what may or may not have happened back then. Not as worthless as what did happen, but just as irrelevant as to where we are going as a club in the future.
Its good that we have a past, but meaningless to wallow in it. Its like hanging on to a pair of old trousers that were your favourites before your waistline and fashion ran out of sight of them, you can hang them in your wardrobe as long as you like, but you'll never wear the damn things in public again.

It's nicer watching Spurs on the box every now and again you actually see the entire game.
Watching on a stream then realised I had BT Sport

:paulinhofacepalm:

Fuck off Poch.

Finally get balance and stability for 2 minutes with Bentaleb and Dembele, then he dismantles it and brings off our man of the match.

Knob

He was injured wasn't he? He went down once or twice and was limping I think

There's no way he would bring him off otherwise

Back
Top Bottom