So what is our best X1??

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

A 'best XI' is an irrelevant concept these days. Even if all of us managed to agree unequivocally on what the best XI was, there's no way we'd be able to play it in any more than ~60% of matches, simply because of injuries, suspensions and the need for squad rotation. I think it's more meaningful to simply think in terms of 3 categories of players:
  • Those you'd like to start whenever possible, e.g. Kane, Lloris, Eriksen, Rose
  • Those who you'd be happy to see starting when needed, e.g. Davies, Alli, Walker, Vorm
  • Those who you wouldn't want starting unless there's no other option, e.g. Townsend, Fazio
What's far more important than 'knowing your best XI' is having strength in depth and versatility in the squad so that come what may throughout the season, we can still always field a starting XI that doesn't induce fear and despair before we've even kicked off a match. Whether our current squad has that, is another debate...

Dear everyone arguing what side people should play on, thats entirely the point of those front 3 behind Kane, they are supposed to be able to interchange so its a nightmare for defenders, its good we have more flexible players now both in what they are willing to do and what they are able to do

It's a lovely theory and maybe it will finally come together at some point with some magic formula but, ultimately it usually means we have plenty of half-Jacks of all trades and they're mainly masters of none. Regular lack of cohesion between the trio that come out of the hat on the day, lots of inconsistency for sure so far and nobody really knows what our best XI (or XIs) is and who to put where even if everybody was on form. You can call it a ton of options, I see it more as not having enough real quality standout performers to make a 'best XI' easier to pick.

It's not a case of 'oh wow, Lamela and Townsend are tearing it up so much who should I play?' or, 'phew, Mason, Bentaleb and Dier are immense, how do I find room for Dembele who has been brilliant?'. It's more like; 'well let's try him there because he's been indifferent there' and it WILL BE; 'better stick him up front cos Kane is fucked and can't play today, or shall we try him, or him???'.

It's not a case of 'oh wow, Lamela and Townsend are tearing it up so much who should I play?' or, 'phew, Mason, Bentaleb and Dier are immense, how do I find room for Dembele who has been brilliant?'. It's more like; 'well let's try him there because he's been indifferent there' and it WILL BE; 'better stick him up front cos Kane is fucked and can't play today, or shall we try him, or him???'.

When it comes to Townsend and Lamela we played them in their main positions and they failed.

You mention Dembele, Mason and Bentaleb we need to play them in their best natural position as an AM for a whole season to see if they are masters of none.

I think that trio behind Kane or Son would be a killer cup team.

You mention Dembele, Mason and Bentaleb we need to play them in their best natural position as an AM for a whole season to see if they are masters of none.

I think that trio behind Kane or Son would be a killer cup team.

That's the point, we don't even know.

If that's the case we do not have one C(D)M at the club?! Dier doesn't count yet, early days of an experiment.

Why am I not surprised to see this thread resurrected after a loss in the milk cup.

We don't have a best eleven. But we do have some very nice options who should play dependant on opposition.

A 'best XI' is an irrelevant concept these days.... i think it's more meaningful to simply think in terms of 3 categories of players:
  • Those you'd like to start whenever possible, e.g. Kane, Lloris, Eriksen, Rose
  • Those who you'd be happy to see starting when needed, e.g. Davies, Alli, Walker, Vorm
  • Those who you wouldn't want starting unless there's no other option, e.g. Townsend, Fazio
What's far more important than 'knowing your best XI' is having strength in depth and versatility in the squad so that come what may throughout the season, we can still always field a starting XI that doesn't induce fear and despair before we've even kicked off a match. Whether our current squad has that, is another debate...

Fuck knows. But is does not include Fazio, Carroll or Vorm..........

So most are in agreement that Fazio & Townsend are spent forces who shouldn't be anywhere near our starting XI... even in the event of an emergency? ?
Pity no one at the club reads this forum!
:pochfacepalm::pochbye:

Back
Top Bottom