So what is our best X1??

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Ok now the transfer window is over....what is our best X1? for me i still don't have a clue which is scary.

I would say Llloris, Rose, Alderweirld, Vertonghen, Dier, Son, Eriksen and Kane are definite starters for me.

I would say Walker, Dembele and Benteleb are close to being in that category for me...so with that all said..

---------------------------------------Lloris------------------------------------
walker------------------Alderweirld------Vertonghen---------------Rose
----------------------------------------Dier-------------------------------------
------------------------------Benteleb-----Dembele-------------------------
------------Son----------------------------------------------------Eriksen----
-----------------------------------------Kane---------------------------------

So i think i would try that. I've gone with a 4-3-3 variation...

Pros
so basically a 4-1-2-3 because i feel we can dictate the tempo of the game playing that formation. I've gone with 4-1-2-3 as opposed to a 4-2-1-3 (basically 2 dm's and a cm) because i want Benteleb further up the field to play a box to box role and support Kane (and Dembele too tbh). I would want Eriksen to have a free role and come inside and create which he's excellent at.

Cons
Well there are a few cons tbh. Firstly kane could possibly still be isolated. The success of this will mostly be down to how well Son can get up the field to support Kane and how well one of the runners from the middle can do it. 4-3-3 usually works better when the 2 supporting the striker as fast so Eriksen on the left in a 4-3-3 might not be as effective as he is when he plays on the left of a 4-2-3-1.

So yes it's a risk and i'm not 100% confident it will work...but there is a shining light and that is N'Jie. We really have to hope he adjusts well (And quickly) to this league because he does possess the attributes needed for the right sided role...sooooo..

-------------------------------Dier-------------------------------
-------------------Eriksen--------Benteleb--------------------
---N'Jie------------------------------------------------Son-----
-------------------------------Kane-------------------------------

That could work very well. 2 fast wing/forwards to support Kane...a creative cm, box to box cm and a pure DM...it covers all bases. We really just have to hope the 2 wing forwards perform straight away.

There is another thing we can hope/pray for and that is Erik Lamela performing. His natural position is on the right side of a 4-3-3 where he has more space to drift in centrally (what he was doing at Roma).

I don't think we have a 'best' XI - I think we have a squad full of different options.

We all have a favoured eleven though with favoured formation so I'll post mine:

Lloris
Walker - Alderweireld - Vertonghen - Rose
Dier
Alli - Bentaleb
Son - Kane - Eriksen​

Best back five for me. Walker and Rose are the ideal wing backs full of energy. Alderweireld and Vertonghen have proven they can work well together, especially after their performance against Everton. Dier continues to dominate in central midfield and stays in front of the defence. I think Bentaleb and Alli would be best suited for us in central midfield, both capable of playing first time passes and moving forward, Alli would be important in us having a player who will run through defence and get in the box on the end of loose balls and crosses etc.

Son and Eriksen free flowing before Kane whilst Kane spearheads our attack. Our bench also looks considerably better with Trippier providing depth for Walker, Davies the same with Rose, Dembele providing strength in both central midfield and one of the positions behind Kane, Pritchard is another who adds something different but could also be considered a replacement for Eriksen, Njie adds an injection of pace too.

Lloris
Trippier - Alderweireld - Vertonghen - Rose
Dembele - Dier
Son - Eriksen - Chadli
Kane
Son on the right (like at Hamburg) where he can run wide and cut in, Chadli doing the same on the left. Dembele is better than Mason at this point in time, and the forseable future. No-one here really knows how good N'Jie will be so he can't be in the XI in my opinion.

Having Son in the side really puts emphasis on a strong defender on the right and Walker has been too accident prone recently. Dier is the only one I'm unsure about because he's shaping up well but I'm not convinced he'll control the midfield as well as Bentaleb / Mason. He gets the nod though as we might need some bite behind Eriksen and Bentaleb has not been solid as the deepest midfielder.

In any instance, I don't see how anyone can look at this team and think '10th is well done' as it comprises of enough quality and back-up options (with the exception around Kane/Ade) to easily get 6th.

Last edited:
Ok now the transfer window is over....what is our best X1? for me i still don't have a clue which is scary.

I would say Llloris, Rose, Alderweirld, Vertonghen, Dier, Son, Eriksen and Kane are definite starters for me.

I would say Walker, Dembele and Benteleb are close to being in that category for me...so with that all said..

---------------------------------------Lloris------------------------------------
walker------------------Alderweirld------Vertonghen---------------Rose
----------------------------------------Dier-------------------------------------
------------------------------Benteleb-----Dembele-------------------------
------------Son----------------------------------------------------Eriksen----
-----------------------------------------Kane---------------------------------

So i think i would try that. I've gone with a 4-3-3 variation...

Pros
so basically a 4-1-2-3 because i feel we can dictate the tempo of the game playing that formation. I've gone with 4-1-2-3 as opposed to a 4-2-1-3 (basically 2 dm's and a cm) because i want Benteleb further up the field to play a box to box role and support Kane (and Dembele too tbh). I would want Eriksen to have a free role and come inside and create which he's excellent at.

Cons
Well there are a few cons tbh. Firstly kane could possibly still be isolated. The success of this will mostly be down to how well Son can get up the field to support Kane and how well one of the runners from the middle can do it. 4-3-3 usually works better when the 2 supporting the striker as fast so Eriksen on the left in a 4-3-3 might not be as effective as he is when he plays on the left of a 4-2-3-1.

So yes it's a risk and i'm not 100% confident it will work...but there is a shining light and that is N'Jie. We really have to hope he adjusts well (And quickly) to this league because he does possess the attributes needed for the right sided role...sooooo..

-------------------------------Dier-------------------------------
-------------------Eriksen--------Benteleb--------------------
---N'Jie------------------------------------------------Son-----
-------------------------------Kane-------------------------------

That could work very well. 2 fast wing/forwards to support Kane...a creative cm, box to box cm and a pure DM...it covers all bases. We really just have to hope the 2 wing forwards perform straight away.

There is another thing we can hope/pray for and that is Erik Lamela performing. His natural position is on the right side of a 4-3-3 where he has more space to drift in centrally (what he was doing at Roma).
==============

Not having watched Trippier, Nigel, or Son play in a Spurs shirt, I find it impossible to name a team, and find it incredible anyone else can either ????????????????????

[formation=4231, Lloris, Trippier, Toby, Verts, Rose, Dier, Alli, N'jie, Eriksen, Son, Kane][/formation]

Sub
  • Vorm
  • Wimmer
  • Pritchard
  • Bentaleb
  • Mason
  • Dembele
  • Chadli

Look it ain't too bad -
1. Welcome purchased 5 for 53mill - Alderwiereld and Son will be first team starters. Trippier, Wimmer and N'Jie strengthen the squad. Wages cost could be around 240per wk or 12.5mill per yr.

2. Welcome 3 back from loans - Alli will be a star and an improvement to squad, Carroll and Pritchard will have roles in EL, Cups and bench support for EPL.

3. We released 6 saving say 3million per yr in wages.

4. We sold 10 for say 51 -52mill and got another 2-3mill on on-sales for Luongo/Falque/Byrne. All this should save around 385k per wk or 20mill per yr.

5. And finally 5 players loaned out with wage savings of say 30k per wk or 1.5mill.

No doubt we had wage upgrades to contend with - take a guess 150k/wk would give us a couple of million annual wage saving.

Now lets get behind the squad and see them push up the table.

[formation=442, Kane, Dier, Dier, Dier, Dier, Dier, Dier, Dier, Dier, Dier, Dier][/formation]

qfzsk.jpg

Against good teams
[formation=433, Lloris, Walker, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Rose, Bentaleb, Dier, Dembele/Mason, Son, Kane, Eriksen][/formation]

Against weaker teams
[formation=4231, Lloris, Walker, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Rose, Dier, Mason/Bentaleb, N'Jie, Eriksen, Son/Chadli, Kane][/formation]

Alli could definitely find his way into here but I like him right now as our first sub. Hopefully he absolutely destroys in Europa League as well.

[formation=442, Kane, Dier, Dier, Dier, Dier, Dier, Dier, Dier, Dier, Dier, Dier][/formation]

qfzsk.jpg

Not to rain on the Dier party, but I hope Dembele being injured does not impact Diers form.

There is a massive difference having Dembele in front of you vs having Townsend or Lamela in front of you. Dier found that out as a right back.

If we put one of the new boys in the front right AM spot, I'm hoping Dier does not get overrun.

I was desperate for a proper DM but seeing Diers form has been a massive plus. it's great to see young players like Dier and Kane shaping a solid spine.

He's also not inury prone which is a plus. We could never get settled with Capoue, Dembele and Paulinho's injury woes.

I've never seen NJie and Son play. So I have no idea if they are good enough for our best team. I'm really excited by Son's highlight reel. He self makes a lot of goals rather than Lamela's old tap in highlight reel.

IMO we should go with the same team with Alli instead of the injured Dembele and whoever plays the worst, yank them off :chadliwtf: for a new signing.

:clintonohshit::sonhmm::pritchardeyes:

Really difficult to pick our best XI at the moment. We haven't seen the likes of Son, N'Jie, Pritchard, Alli, Trippier, Wimmer play in competitive games. Granted some may have seen them elsewhere and Alli has looked good in cameos but impossible to tell how they well gel into our team.

I would say we have 7 nailed on starters at the moment when fit: Kane, Eriksen, Dier, Vertonghen, Alderweild, Rose, Lloris

The rest of the squad will have to earn their way into the team. I had some doubts N'Jie would adapt quickly and indeed since he hasn't even been named on the bench yet that looks to be the case. I expect a lot of our new players will use our Cup games to force their way into the established first team like Kane did last season.

Something like this deserves a shout. Eriksen in his old Ajax-position might kickstart him.
[formation=433, Hugo, Walker, Toby, Jan, Rose, Dembele, Dier, Eriksen, Son, Kane, Chadli][/formation]

Really difficult to pick our best XI at the moment. We haven't seen the likes of Son, N'Jie, Pritchard, Alli, Trippier, Wimmer play in competitive games. Granted some may have seen them elsewhere and Alli has looked good in cameos but impossible to tell how they well gel into our team.

I would say we have 7 nailed on starters at the moment when fit: Kane, Eriksen, Dier, Vertonghen, Alderweild, Rose, Lloris

The rest of the squad will have to earn their way into the team. I had some doubts N'Jie would adapt quickly and indeed since he hasn't even been named on the bench yet that looks to be the case. I expect a lot of our new players will use our Cup games to force their way into the established first team like Kane did last season.

Just got an email from official site regarding the Europa group stages and Townsend is the main focus on the advertisement.

At that level Townsend absolutely smashed it last season but I kinda hope Prichard, Alli, Son and Njie get more game time than Townsend. We have a lot of midfielders. I think Townsend has peaked and we can get more out of the other players in the earlier competitions. I don't want Townsends delivery or lack of presence mess up Trippiers development behind him or Njie's supply alongside/in front of him. Townsend easily has enough quality to get us through these group stages, but I'd much rather someone else get more time to work on gelling and creating understanding etc. We have a young team, and we need leadership. Not head down scuffing/dribbling. Townsend is all heart, and I think that is why he didn't get moved on. But IMO him and Lamela could end up being the weak links that turn our season from a strong cup run on many front to the season being over by February.

I only have one more thing to say:

Qarabag

:avbcringe:

but i've watched Son and Trippier play? what's incredible?
===================

Because Poch coaches the creativeness out of a player, like AVB did. You have only watched these players for other teams. Dembele was great at Fulham, and AVB turned him into a poor/average player. Believe me, Poch will have a similar effect on these new players

Something like this deserves a shout. Eriksen in his old Ajax-position might kickstart him.
[formation=433, Hugo, Walker, Toby, Jan, Rose, Dembele, Dier, Eriksen, Son, Kane, Chadli][/formation]

This thread is fucking awesome...

I have not seen a single lineup that makes me facepalm and froth like I used to. I said it a while back, it's almost impossible for Poch to put out a weak team. Somehow he managed it with a slow spine of Chadli, Lamela, Dier and Jan but I think he learned his lesson quick on that count after we dropped 2 goals/ points.

I just don't get the twitter Lev froth. We are not even in transition IMO. I think we are going to be a nightmare for anyone. It's just up to Poch to win more tactical battles and we will be golden.

Back
Top Bottom