Small pitch issue

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yes.

We didnt have a single shot on target if im not mistaken.

Which I'm not:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25287554

Yes and if you look at our defeat this season we had lots of the ball but they hit us in possession, we sit on the ball pass and pass and pass and do nothing, Liverpool go for the jugular, Liverpool know we like to sit on the ball so all they have to do is wait for us to loose it and take us apart.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28917060

Me too, that's why I'm clinging on to that win. To honest, until the 5-0, we had a great home record against them in recent years.

Wish that was more fresh in memory all I can think of with the scousers is our recent humiliation, the only bright thing is that when we play Liverpool next they won't fear us so maybe we can surprise them but I doubt it.

An intelligent manager knows how to adapt or how to make good use of what he has at his disposal. If he doesn't, I don't think he is that intelligent either.

A longer pitch means defenders will be defending higher too. Can we trust the clumsy and slow defenders to cover the ground?

Last edited:
On a slightly different note, why does the pitch camber so much? I'd have thought drainage wouldn't be so much of a problem that it needs to tail off as such a degree? How do we compare there to other teams' pitches?

Good question maybe thats the reason our corners never beat the first man. Doesn't affect the opposition though.

:eriksenlip:

Good question maybe thats the reason our corners never beat the first man. Doesn't affect the opposition though.

:eriksenlip:
Here is Mr Nevin again, sorry, this time on corners: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29634200

I read a great article about a month ago but can't find it. It was all about the corner kick and the perception of them. Fan's think it's a great chance to score, there are traditions built up where fans to sing a certain chant when they are given a corner (COYS) thereby ramping up the expectations of scoring. The fact is aparently/statistically you are less likely to score from a corner kick than from an open play attack.This is not a Spurs thing it's ALL clubs. (There was a blip to the stats, for a two year period Man U matched the corner and open play stat scoring stat).

Here is Mr Nevin again, sorry, this time on corners: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29634200

I read a great article about a month ago but can't find it. It was all about the corner kick and the perception of them. Fan's think it's a great chance to score, there are traditions built up where fans to sing a certain chant when they are given a corner (COYS) thereby ramping up the expectations of scoring. The fact is aparently/statistically you are less likely to score from a corner kick than from an open play attack.This is not a Spurs thing it's ALL clubs. (There was a blip to the stats, for a two year period Man U matched the corner and open play stat scoring stat).
You cant argue with stats but I'm sure that doesn't always apply. I think we are just crap when it comes to corners.

Look at Chelski, they've got 4/5 players all hitting 6'4 and still Terry manages to score the most? Is that coincidence or is it knowledge? I hate Terry btw

The corners thing is a non issue. We're not really any different to any other club. You have to remember, its far easier to defend a corner than to score from it.

You cant argue with stats but I'm sure that doesn't always apply. I think we are just crap when it comes to corners.

Look at Chelski, they've got 4/5 players all hitting 6'4 and still Terry manages to score the most? Is that coincidence or is it knowledge? I hate Terry btw
I dunno mate just relating the info from the article. BTW Chelsea in this article they were just like "most" clubs not very good at corners. It's all perception, sure Terry might have scored a few from a corner but from how many opportunities? Chelsea have an average of 6 corners per game, Terry has played 429 games thats 2,574 corners........He has scored 34 career goals, I have no idea how many of those are corners but even if they were all corners it's hardly the attacking force of nature that the perception is (one goal for every 75 corners...that is shit in anyones book).

If anything corners are a waste of time attacking wise... why would you whip the ball in when there is 10 opposition players in the box waiting for it. Do these corner stats count second and third balls?

Its a lot easier to score corners on fifa so thats probably where the misconception comes from.

Ive always thought it made more sense to play corners to people at the corner of the 18 yard box and draw defenders out.

If anything corners are a waste of time attacking wise... why would you whip the ball in when there is 10 opposition players in the box waiting for it. Do these corner stats count second and third balls?
That's why I hate stats, they don't tell the real story. There was a debate on here a while ago about our conversion rate from crosses, but it was only taking into account was a goal scored from the actual cross, not 2nd, 3rd ball or mayhem that a ball played into the box causes.

That's why I hate stats, they don't tell the real story. There was a debate on here a while ago about our conversion rate from crosses, but it was only taking into account was a goal scored from the actual cross, not 2nd, 3rd ball or mayhem that a ball played into the box causes.
It makes perfect sense to me that we don't score directly from corners, i don't understand why people complain about it. Sometimes its like people forget that the team we're playing against are also a team of 11 highly skilled highly trained human beings.

Back
Top Bottom