Small pitch issue

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

CL season and the season before. there was a season or 2 under Martin Jol as well.
When the bus was parked, we still didn't have much of a chance. Pochettino wants space because he lets us overload key areas easier, and prevent opposing teams from getting as compact in defence.

Could the tight space be a reason why our corners are mostly shit? Simply because the run-up is so short?
They are worse than shit! Makes no sense considering all of VDV, Siggurddson and Eriksen are great set piece takers! Infuriates me more than nearly anything how few goals we score from corners. Our 1 from this season to Dier was still a near post shocker!

So why didn't they stick with the same size pitch when they moved to their new toilet? They choose instead to create the largest pitch in the league.
I heard the old pitch at Highbury was actually illegal under CL rules,hence why they effed off to Wembley for a while. David Dein managed to smooth things over though.Could be a lie...But one i am willing to believe :)

Last edited:
it seems a factor, I remember having a conversation with someone on this forum before about it. With Poch and AVB who like to play pressing, possession based football a small pitch is not good as teams drop of us and we have less space to play in between and in behind. Our pitch probably suits either Harry style quick counter attacking or Spam style bully boy football, to play an expansive game it helps to have an expansive pitch.

That being said it is only a factor and cannot cover for our mental weakness, also AVB and Poch should accept a slight tactical change if the pitch doesn't suit their style, a certain degree of counter attacking football might be no bad thing at the lane.

I think part of all this 'impotence' has to do with our very own 'growth' in stature in the last 5-7 odd years form perennial mid-table no-achievers to a solid Top 6 outfit. This means bottom 14 teams come to WHL with the intention first and foremost not to lose resulting in a defensive game plan, while in turn negating our counter-attacking threat. In other words - we are yet to 'evolve' tactically and adjust to teams who park the bus at home since we haven't been used to that in the past - end-to-end gung-ho approach. This is also part of the reason we have been so much better away in the last 2-3 season due to the fact in such scenarios we can hit teams on the counter and endlessly keep possession and look to beat 8 defenders.

It's part of our evolution as a club and I believe better players would assist in this transformation. Growing pains of sorts. That's my take anyway - POCH OUT NOW, right?

I do feel when other teams park the bus like Newcastle and West Brom and so on we should be using two strikers particularly if we have Ade on the pitch who spend his day mainly as a lazy winger.

Excuses Excuses.

1. Playing a really crap team at home on Thu does not mean you can lose to a crap team at home on Sunday.
2. (Eriksen) Yes it may take time to adjust to Poch's tactics, but not switching off and conceding a goal 7 seconds into a half is hardly a revolutionary 'tactic' Have other managers he's worked under advises that he do do that?
3. Our pitch is about 3ft smaller than most, I'm told. Come on. Highbury was tiny when Arse were at their best. St James park is massive and they're crap.

Lame excuse. Then why are you still getting your wide players to cut inside and make them easy to defend? Play with 2 out to out wingers to stretch the play.

Perhaps we should make the goal we are attacking a bit bigger and the one we are defending a bit smaller?

Or just give Poch a smaller whiteboard?

I'm no Brian Clough or Fergie but how about training them on smaller training pitches to get used to it! Or stop aiding this weak mentality by mentioning stupid weak excuses. Looks like the weak mentality of the club is starting to find its way through to Poch too!

Back
Top Bottom