Small pitch issue

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

ChuckleShuffle

To me, to you then!
I'm not sure what you guy's think of this... Mauricio Pochettino puts Tottenham's poor form down to small home pitch.

Maybe it's something that will be resolved IF the new stadium is ever confirmed.

Surprisingly enough, it turns out that the headlines don't match what he actually said.
Which is that he thinks it's a thing but not ultimately a big deal.

It can't be a coincidence that when a manager who wants to play tight defensive and long ball offensive football joins a new club they often reduce the pitch size to the minimum requirements.

AVB mentioned it last season, but it's never been an issue before in all honesty. It wasn't so long ago that WHL was one off the hardest places to go in the League. We play on this week in week out, it's not a new thing for the players. I don't buy it as an excuse at all

With what has been said about how Poch sets up his teams to press high from the front I'd assume that we would now favour a smaller pitch?

I also feel like our team has lost a lot of the pace we held before which again would favour the smaller pitch?

AVB mentioned it last season, but it's never been an issue before in all honesty. It wasn't so long ago that WHL was one off the hardest places to go in the League. We play on this week in week out, it's not a new thing for the players. I don't buy it as an excuse at all
When was this fortress time you speak of? And what sort of shit did I do to miss it?:mong:

He actually doesn't mention the pitch size once, he refers to space. The context he was talking about was the use of space not directly the size of the pitch.
"Our style means we need a bigger space to play because we play a positional game,” Pochettino said. “It’s true that White Hart Lane is a little bit tight and it’s better for the opponent when they play deep. We need time to adapt to our new set-up and to understand better our position on the pitch.”

Obviuosly the space has shrunk since the 80's then, huh.

& I really don't see the problem since I've not seen a player get dust on their boots since we became obsessed with inverted wingers & playing everything down the middle

I think this is just a ridiclous excuse to honest, as the size of the pitch must comply with FA, UEFA, FIFA regulations on length & width.

However, if I remember correctly former Woolwich managers, supporters etc. would often raise this issue when they played at Highbury, which was then the smallest pitch in the Premier League.

It is no more of an excuse now, than it was then in my view. As has been stated already, its exactly the same for the opposition and you do not hear them complaining.

Last edited:
I think this is just a ridiclous excuse to honest, as the size of the pitch must comply with FA, UEFA, FIFA regulations on length & width.

However, if I remember correctly former Woolwich managers, supporters etc. would often raise this issue when they played at Highbury, which was then the smallest pitch in the Premier League.

It is no more of an excuse now, than it was then in my view, and as has been stated already, its exactly the same for the opposition.
It does comply with the FA, UEFA and FIFA regulations. 'Tottenham have the joint-shortest pitch in the Premier League, according to the official statistics, alongside Stoke City and Queens Park Rangers, and only those two clubs have narrower playing surfaces. Tottenham’s pitch, which measures 100 metres by 67 metres, is 6% smaller than half of the others in the division.'

I actually think about this from time to time. Sometimes WHL looks tiny, although this is from viewing on tv, i often wonder whether having a larger space would be benefitial or detrimental to the team...

It is no more of an excuse now, than it was then in my view. As has been stated already, its exactly the same for the opposition and you do not hear them complaining.
So why didn't they stick with the same size pitch when they moved to their new toilet? They choose instead to create the largest pitch in the league.

Back
Top Bottom