Scott Houghton with an afro - Marcus Edwards

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I am starting to sound like a broken record about this Poch book, however he named Edwards as needing to buck his ideas up at one point. To call him out like that suggests the lad really needs to get the mental side of the game right.

With his natural attributes he could be a very good player, he offers something different, but he obviously has to show the staff at Spurs AND Norwich a bit more.

Props to Norwich, it almost seems like we have sent him there to get sorted out on how to be a professional as opposed to him getting game time. Funny arrangement that, I wonder if we have links going back to Hughton's days as manager. We sold them Pritch as well didn't we?

I think they have a talented youngster on the books, wonder if this 'special relationship' could see him coming to us?

I don’t think anyone criticised Kane for his attitude. It was ability (yes, I know!) that some thought would be his undoing.
So you’re absolutely correct not to write off youth team players. The murmurings from Norwich about his attitude (quoted in this thread) are a cause for legitimate concern though, because big things have been expected from this young man & Norwich is an ideal place for him to start his route to first team football.
It’s down to him
Who else here is a different person to the one they were at 19? Attitude problems can be fixed just like players can be coached to be better. To simply abandon a talented player because he had an attitude problem at 19 rather than support the player is shit imo and not what we do at Spurs. Kind of thing Chelsea would do.

Edit - There has already been suggestions his attitude is starting to improve, although a way to go. Should we not be concentrating on that? He's obviously showing a will to change.

Last edited:
Reminds me a bit of John Bostock not in physical terms but in regards to his attitude. I think it's come so easy to him he just expected his natural ability to keep carrying him on to be a star. However, as countless examples go it doesn't work that way. Once you hit first team level everyone has ability and it's the ones who work hard and go the extra mile who make it. It's why we see guys Jake Livermore make it and others like Bostock & Parrett who don't.

In the little I have seen of him it's clear he has something special in terms of ability but it's now up to him to turn that ability into a meaningful career.

Who else here is a different person to the one they were at 19? Attitude problems can be fixed just like players can be coached to be better. To simply abandon a talented player because he had an attitude problem at 19 rather than support the player is shit imo and not what we do at Spurs. Kind of thing Chelsea would do.

Edit - There has already been suggestions his attitude is starting to improve, although a way to go. Should we not be concentrating on that? He's obviously showing a will to change.
I agree. I didn’t have the world at my feet age 19 though. I’m sure he’s working on things and he needs to because it would be a criminal waste of talent if he fucks it up through his own doing

I agree. I didn’t have the world at my feet age 19 though. I’m sure he’s working on things and he needs to because it would be a criminal waste of talent if he fucks it up through his own doing

Agreed, but he would be a long way from the first to do that for us, let alone generally.

Norwich manager has come out saying it's his defensive contribution, not his attitude, that has been the issue. Considering they conceded 4 at the weekend, he feels it's not the right time to get him involved. Albeit he's improving in that regard.

Norwich manager has come out saying it's his defensive contribution, not his attitude, that has been the issue. Considering they conceded 4 at the weekend, he feels it's not the right time to get him involved. Albeit he's improving in that regard.
TBF lack of defensive contribution can be down to attitude. Some players lack in defensive contribution since they are not particularly defensive minded. And some have an attitude where they don't think they should have to contribute defensively since they are an attacking player.

Hopefully it is the former rather than the latter with Marcus

TBF lack of defensive contribution can be down to attitude. Some players lack in defensive contribution since they are not particularly defensive minded. And some have an attitude where they don't think they should have to contribute defensively since they are an attacking player.

Hopefully it is the former rather than the latter with Marcus

The standard of attack in higher leagues, if you give the ball away or no tracking back you get punished. Its a side of the game youth players adapt to or forever struggle.

Norwich fan here, thought this might be of interest to you lot, possible Marcus could be starting on the bench tomorrow by the look of things...

I don't disagree, but if he just swans about in training reveling in Poch's previous "Messi" comments then the window of opportunity for him to turn it around will be limited.

#PaidToTrain etc.

Whether it be back with us or on loan, if he's somehow carrying the misconception that he'll win a gaffer over in-match he's doomed to disappointment.

EDIT: No minutes again today. Has the kid played at all for Norwich yet?

I don't disagree, but if he just swans about in training reveling in Poch's previous "Messi" comments then the window of opportunity for him to turn it around will be limited.

#PaidToTrain etc.

Whether it be back with us or on loan, if he's somehow carrying the misconception that he'll win a gaffer over in-match he's doomed to disappointment.

EDIT: No minutes again today. Has the kid played at all for Norwich yet?
He didn't get on, I suspect, because Norwich had a tight game and are defensively weak. When they went 3-1 up I had hope but when the next goal went in you knew, considering the managers previous comments, he wasn't getting on.

Next season will be crucial to him I feel. He’ll be out on loan again somewhere, no hope of him logging a minute even in the LC with our AM options, and if he can’t extract his head from his arse and get it down and focused on playing somewhere that’s his football career down the drink. If you aren’t playing impactful football somewhere at 19/20 then you’re done for. Even Kane, when he was shite and still trying to figure it out was showing enough on loan to get matches.

The way it’s looking, Edwards’ greatest fame will have been on this forum.

Next season will be crucial to him I feel. He’ll be out on loan again somewhere, no hope of him logging a minute even in the LC with our AM options, and if he can’t extract his head from his arse and get it down and focused on playing somewhere that’s his football career down the drink. If you aren’t playing impactful football somewhere at 19/20 then you’re done for. Even Kane, when he was shite and still trying to figure it out was showing enough on loan to get matches.

The way it’s looking, Edwards’ greatest fame will have been on this forum.

I agree on Edwards, but to be fair to Kane he was never really shite when on loan.

He did well at Orient and Millwall. He was mostly injured at Norwich, and not used well at Leicester.

Kane got brief chances under Redknapp and AVB, but in fairness to Sherwood he was the manager that gave Kane his first real opportunities for us.

I agree on Edwards, but to be fair to Kane he was never really shite when on loan.

He did well at Orient and Millwall. He was mostly injured at Norwich, and not used well at Leicester.

Kane got brief chances under Redknapp and AVB, but in fairness to Sherwood he was the manager that gave Kane his first real opportunities for us.
I should have qualified “shite” as “shite for Kane”. Even when he was performing well on loan no one saw the career for him that he’s had. At most we pretty much all hoped he would be come a solid backup CF.

Point being at 19/20 if you can’t even get on the pitch for a championship club then there’s really no point in wasting any more time on you at Tottenham. It’s make it or break it, and he needs to be thinking about that this summer.

I should have qualified “shite” as “shite for Kane”. Even when he was performing well on loan no one saw the career for him that he’s had. At most we pretty much all hoped he would be come a solid backup CF.

Point being at 19/20 if you can’t even get on the pitch for a championship club then there’s really no point in wasting any more time on you at Tottenham. It’s make it or break it, and he needs to be thinking about that this summer.

It’s crunch time. It looks like he has the ability, but his attitude has been a problem for a while. Hopefully he has that moment of clarity that makes him realise what an opportunity he has.

Back
Top Bottom