Ryan Mason

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It's fair to say there's some disagreement here about Mason and his ability and long term viability as a Spurs player. I'd like to see how he performs in the next two games where he most likely will start.
I think his injury set him back and coincided with the rise of Dembele and Alli.
The way is now clear for him to prove the doubters wrong.

It's fair to say there's some disagreement here about Mason and his ability and long term viability as a Spurs player. I'd like to see how he performs in the next two games where he most likely will start.
I think his injury set him back and coincided with the rise of Dembele and Alli.
The way is now clear for him to prove the doubters wrong.
Agree Bill, but thought he did that last year though. Plenty of people slagging him off then, he responded and got an England cap. He is not 1st 11 but more than worthy in this Tottenham Squad.

He gets more stick than he deserves. The [shall we say] starting eleven is strong and for a bit part player to come on and enhance the team is extremely difficult. As others have said if he's happy to be a squad player then fair enough,i feel there's a few others i would move on before him.

He gets more stick than he deserves. The [shall we say] starting eleven is strong and for a bit part player to come on and enhance the team is extremely difficult. As others have said if he's happy to be a squad player then fair enough,i feel there's a few others i would move on before him.
Sygmt0o.gif

I said last year he was tidy, but simply not good enough for where we want to be. Nothing has changed, in fact I think he's now too slow for our style of play

He showed today why he is not up to it. Too slow in speed of thought and in his feet to knit together our midfield. His defensive positioning is dreadful, his concentration hopeless and it seemed in the second half that others were actually deliberately not giving him the ball. Which causes a problem since when we play the one-touch stuff you need to have people available.

Where Eriksen, Dembele, Alli and Lamela all know where others are when the ball comes to them Mason has to look and at best this slows down the move; too often it results in him losing possession or making a hurried pass which goes astray.

I think the team has just developed in a way and at a pace which has taken it away from him. He might well do a decent job for another, more traditional, type of team but I really think there is no place for him in this Spurs squad. It should be thanks and goodbye.

I was having an exam so I didn't see the match, was told he was terrible. This summer could be significant in his career, I'm sure Poch will bring someone in CM and one of him or Bentaleb would probably go.

If we had swapped number 8s today we would have won easily. Would Steven Davis be a good back up in place or Mason, Bentaleb and Carroll?

If we had swapped number 8s today we would have won easily. Would Steven Davis be a good back up in place or Mason, Bentaleb and Carroll?
No. He was decent today and Mason played badly. Davis hadn't been great the rest of the season and he's no better than Mason generally.

He showed today why he is not up to it. Too slow in speed of thought and in his feet to knit together our midfield. His defensive positioning is dreadful, his concentration hopeless and it seemed in the second half that others were actually deliberately not giving him the ball. Which causes a problem since when we play the one-touch stuff you need to have people available.

Where Eriksen, Dembele, Alli and Lamela all know where others are when the ball comes to them Mason has to look and at best this slows down the move; too often it results in him losing possession or making a hurried pass which goes astray.

I think the team has just developed in a way and at a pace which has taken it away from him. He might well do a decent job for another, more traditional, type of team but I really think there is no place for him in this Spurs squad. It should be thanks and goodbye.

When he was on a run of decent form last season his immediate instinct whenever he got the ball was to either burst forward 10 yards with the ball or hit an early ball forward.

Today he was taking 2 or 3 touches, stopping, looking around and then turning to pass the ball backwards or sideways.

It's not a difficult concept to grasp that if you lose the ball doing the former, you will normally be okay - if you lose the ball doing the latter, the team will be in trouble.........he must realise this as it's exactly the mistake we try to force our opposition into.

Could it be that the fantastic four above are so familiar with each other that they almost instinctively know where the others are? Ryan seems to be playing "new boy" and so is always having to look up. Given that we really play as a team rather than individuals it makes it hard for anyone to burst in.

It's ironic that a lot of the criticism about Mason could have easily been thrown at Dembele for most of his Spurs career before this season. Facts are facts, he has barely kicked a ball in 2016 and this will obviously show, a couple of bad performances doesn't make him a bad squad player though and he will once again find the form that won him an England cap and helped us reach fifth last year with an inexperienced midfield partner.

Back
Top Bottom