Ryan Mason

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He's a backups's backup.

But replacing him with better? Would "better" sit on the bench three quarters of the season? Doubtful.

But we are CL now, Woolwich have players like Corzola on the bench so I don't think it will be a big deal. Next season we may have long FA/League/CL cups runs along with the league, we need a full squad for that of top players.

Let's just say we get Witsel, he can play either Dier or Dembele's role so he will probably be playing half or more games in a season anyway.

When I look at our bench I think.

Wimmer: Great
Tripper: good
Davies: good
Mason: average
Carroll: weak
Chadli: slow
Nije: unproven
Son: good sometimes
Onomah/Carter-Vickers/Walker-Peters/Winks: exciting but maybe to early.

We need a better bench.

I think there is a misconception of Mason's role in the team here. Some people seem to think he's supposed to be the 12th man in our squad, the first one to replace someone in case of injuries or suspension. In that scenario he is the one who needs to put pressure on the midfielders amongst the first-11 and arguably he's indeed not good enough for that. Is that necessarily his role though? When Alli got suspended it was Son who got into the team, not Mason. It took an additional suspension for another midfielder in Dembele to get him into the starting line-up. And that's taking into consideration that Bentaleb is still injured, someone I personally rate higher than Ryan, and I think Poch did as well last year before all the drama that's happened since (he now seems to have some issues with Poch on a personal level, I hope those can get solved, he's a quality player).

As has been pointed out before, as a squad player Mason is fine, you need those kind of guys. If people have issues with Mason, then I can only imagine what they would think of someone like Carroll? A player that is even further down in the pecking order, and unlike Winks and Onomah doesn't have the excuse of age on his side anymore.

Poch never fancied Stambouli to begin with. The same probably applies to Fazio and he showed us why. Poch has issues with Bentaleb on a personal level, that's not comparable. Chadli... I don't see him leaving, or Poch wanting him to go tbh. Same as Mason, good option to have around. Indeed, ideally not really regular starter material for important matches, but you need those kind of players also. There are only 11 starting places to hand out.

While not being a starting xv 1st choice Carroll is way ahead of Mason which, surely, was confirmed by Mason's inept performance against Soton
Continually out of position, passing poor and tackling weak supposedly his best quality!

Him, Bentelab and Fazio first three out IMO

Magical first season, crashed back down to earth this season. I still think he's a Premier League-player but I doubt he will be with us much longer if we manage to consolidate our status as a Champions League-club this time around. A shame because I love the man and his story. Much to prove next season.

He's a ghost. What does he offer? Runs around a lot but we need quality. He's the type of player in a team like Sunderland under a manager like Allardyce who looks ok in a planned, structured set up to make up for their limitations but we need better.

Had hope for him, not much but a little.

This season he's been underwhelming.

Probably suited to a mid-table team as others have said, but we can't improve with players like Mason in the squad still.

Been asked to delay the operation he needs by Poch all season, playing games while heavily medicated for the club he loves and getting nothing but abused by people who live thousands of miles away on the internet.

Been asked to delay the operation he needs by Poch all season, playing games while heavily medicated for the club he loves and getting nothing but abused by people who live thousands of miles away on the internet.
He gets abuse because he ain't good enough and fans feel entitled to vent their anger. We are one of the wealthiest clubs in the world ffs. We should not be forced to rely on seriously average players like Ryan Mason. He epitomizes Levy's unwillingness to invest in the team.

He gets abuse because he ain't good enough and fans feel entitled to vent their anger. We are one of the wealthiest clubs in the world ffs. We should not be forced to rely on seriously average players like Ryan Mason. He epitomizes Levy's unwillingness to invest in the team.

Go watch some Galactico team then.
The likes of John O'Shea, Phil Neville, Nicky Butt, Darren Fletcher and Johnny Evans were good enough for Ferguson.
A fully fit Mason of last season would have made a real difference today. And he wouldn't have went on the beach like Alderweireld, Vertonghen and Lloris. We need these players that understand what finishing above Woolwich means. Not those like Vertonghen giving interview during the week about the Euros already.

I said before that i don't rate him 1 bit BUT i would keep him simply because we need 5 cm's imo (he would be 5th choice). I'm now of the opinion that keeping him does more damage than good. Get rid fast.

Go watch some Galactico team then..
No, I'll watch the team I've loved and supported all my life. And I'll continue to expect to see players of a higher calibre than Ryan Mason playing for that team. If your happy to accept mediocrity that's up to you. But I think Spurs fans deserve something better.

I don't get the "happy to sit on the bench" argument. I don't want any player who's happy to sit on the bench, apart from the reserve keeper perhaps. Poch's first team is obvious to everyone - we need players to make that choice more difficult. We all know our bench is very weak. There's not a single player on it who makes us feel 'right, now we're going to sort this out'.

I don't get the "happy to sit on the bench" argument. I don't want any player who's happy to sit on the bench, apart from the reserve keeper perhaps. Poch's first team is obvious to everyone - we need players to make that choice more difficult. We all know our bench is very weak. There's not a single player on it who makes us feel 'right, now we're going to sort this out'.

Completely agree, don't know how many times I've said this, yet people keep bringing it back up. Talking to a deaf crowd it seems.

If you buy a player who is "Happy to sit on the bench", you're buying someone who has no drive and is probably shit. That isn't what we want.

Back
Top Bottom