Ryan Mason

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I wish people would realise that he is an AM, with a good goalscoring history when played there, and has been played most of the time out of his best position.

If anything he should fill in for Alli, not Dembele.
If it wasn't for the fact we already had Eriksen, Son, Lamela to do that job, I'd agree...
Chadli is probably on a par (overall attacking quality wise) with Mason, as in; he comes across as a decent enough player, but quite often disappoints when push comes to shove (and not in a Battle of Stamford Bridge kinda way!)

Dembele has been the biggest miss of the two tbh.
We really don't have another box-to-box player if his ilk...
Wanyama in the Summer anyone??

It's ironic that a lot of the criticism about Mason could have easily been thrown at Dembele for most of his Spurs career before this season. Facts are facts, he has barely kicked a ball in 2016 and this will obviously show, a couple of bad performances doesn't make him a bad squad player though and he will once again find the form that won him an England cap and helped us reach fifth last year with an inexperienced midfield partner.
I was one of many that thought Dembele was poor for 2 seasons but you could see something special in him , even that he was mostly shit for 2 years .
Mason looks bang average , ł agree he "doesn't make him a bad squad player" but he has
shown nothing and become a lliability when called on . We need better players that can
challenge the first 11 , not mid table plodders , if we really want to establish a legacy of
achievement .

I was one of many that thought Dembele was poor for 2 seasons but you could see something special in him , even that he was mostly shit for 2 years .
Mason looks bang average , ł agree he "doesn't make him a bad squad player" but he has
shown nothing and become a lliability when called on . We need better players that can
challenge the first 11 , not mid table plodders , if we really want to establish a legacy of
achievement .

I see plenty in Ryan Mason but the thing that stands out the most with him is that he gives every single game his all. We need players like that in the squad, a player willing to get injured to secure a winner against Sunderland in an early season league game. As much as I hate to say it, a lot of players would have shit out, but Mason gives it 100% every time. He reminds me of Darren Fletcher and James Milner, both of whom aren't bad guys to have in the squad.

I see plenty in Ryan Mason but the thing that stands out the most with him is that he gives every single game his all. We need players like that in the squad, a player willing to get injured to secure a winner against Sunderland in an early season league game. As much as I hate to say it, a lot of players would have shit out, but Mason gives it 100% every time. He reminds me of Darren Fletcher and James Milner, both of whom aren't bad guys to have in the squad.

I agree Ryan gives 100% but his 100% isn't enough and hasn't been all season.

I know he got injured at Sunderland but on Sunday he had a chance to step up and completely blew it IMO.

Will be amazed if him Bentelab and Fazio are here next season.

Maybe Winks out on loan.

If we got into a CL final, were 1-0 up and in the last ten mins Mason came on, there isn't a single one of you who wouldn't be shitting it even more with that sub. He isn't a top level player, and team doesn't have "squad players". This is not Tottenham of 5 years ago. This is a team that strives to have competition in every area and that wants very good players in every position possible.

Do you think Mason motivates Dier and Dembele? I doubt it.

Mason leaving is a matter of time. There are an incredible number of articles and interviews which state how ruthless Poch is; just look at the Stambouli situation. He's as good as gone, as is Chadli, Fazio and probably Bentaleb.

I think there is a misconception of Mason's role in the team here. Some people seem to think he's supposed to be the 12th man in our squad, the first one to replace someone in case of injuries or suspension. In that scenario he is the one who needs to put pressure on the midfielders amongst the first-11 and arguably he's indeed not good enough for that. Is that necessarily his role though? When Alli got suspended it was Son who got into the team, not Mason. It took an additional suspension for another midfielder in Dembele to get him into the starting line-up. And that's taking into consideration that Bentaleb is still injured, someone I personally rate higher than Ryan, and I think Poch did as well last year before all the drama that's happened since (he now seems to have some issues with Poch on a personal level, I hope those can get solved, he's a quality player).

As has been pointed out before, as a squad player Mason is fine, you need those kind of guys. If people have issues with Mason, then I can only imagine what they would think of someone like Carroll? A player that is even further down in the pecking order, and unlike Winks and Onomah doesn't have the excuse of age on his side anymore.

Mason leaving is a matter of time. There are an incredible number of articles and interviews which state how ruthless Poch is; just look at the Stambouli situation. He's as good as gone, as is Chadli, Fazio and probably Bentaleb.

Poch never fancied Stambouli to begin with. The same probably applies to Fazio and he showed us why. Poch has issues with Bentaleb on a personal level, that's not comparable. Chadli... I don't see him leaving, or Poch wanting him to go tbh. Same as Mason, good option to have around. Indeed, ideally not really regular starter material for important matches, but you need those kind of players also. There are only 11 starting places to hand out.

Last edited:
If we got into a CL final, were 1-0 up and in the last ten mins Mason came on, there isn't a single one of you who wouldn't be shitting it even more with that sub. He isn't a top level player, and team doesn't have "squad players". This is not Tottenham of 5 years ago. This is a team that strives to have competition in every area and that wants very good players in every position possible.

Do you think Mason motivates Dier and Dembele? I doubt it.

Every team has squad players, they are needed. Sure I think we could do better than Mason but there aren't that many players out there who would be content with a spot on the bench most weeks.

Every team has squad players, they are needed. Sure I think we could do better than Mason but there aren't that many players out there who would be content with a spot on the bench most weeks.

We don't have squad players or bench warmers. Why do so few people understand this.

We don't have a set 11. The players rotate when and as needed. Wimmer is not a bench player, for example.

We want a player that isn't content with sitting on the bench and that force his way into the starting 11. Baffles me how so few people miss that.

We don't have squad players or bench warmers. Why do so few people understand this.

Because it's simply not true. Have a look at the differences in the amounts of appearances between certain players, especially in terms of PL matches.

We don't have a set 11.

Yes we have. Granted, it took a couple of months before Pochettino found it, but we have one. When everyone is fit these players start: Lloris, Walker, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Rose, Dier, Dembele, Alli, Eriksen, Lamela, Kane. It's been like that for weeks now. Only Lamela seems to be a bit of a doubt at times, the rest is pretty much guaranteed to start if fit.

The players rotate when and as needed. Wimmer is not a bench player, for example.

He is. He's allowed to play cup-matches and cover for injured players. That's not the same as rotation, it's actually the complete opposite.

We don't have a set 11. The players rotate when and as needed. Wimmer is not a bench player, for example.

We want a player that isn't content with sitting on the bench and that force his way into the starting 11. Baffles me how so few people miss that.
By the end of the season Poch definitely had a set 11. Guys who were "rotated" earlier ... Trippier, Davies, Wimmer ... are not getting picked now.

He only changed it because Dembele and Alli were unavailable, otherwise it would have been the same 11 v Chelsea and Southampton

But next year we need 17 starters, because we need to play an equally strong team in the European games as we do in the league. We need rotation which is unnoticed, resting players while not weakening the team. Davies, Wimmer, Tripper and Chadli even can do this. Clinton might. But we have seen that Fazio, Mason, Carroll and Bentaleb do significantly weaken us, so they are the ones who need replacing with better.

I'm happy with Mason to stay around. Even if Bentaleb stays.

Carroll should be the one moved on. I reckon Mason is easily someone to rely on if we're up against say a Burnley, Bournemouth, Sunderland etc. no disrespect to those teams at all. I think we need STRONG back up incase we miss a Dembele or Dier against City, Chelsea, Woolwich etc. - Whether that's a fit and motivated Bentaleb or a new signing like Witsel I have no idea.

But Mason knows the club, does HAVE ability and seems to me like someone who is willing to improve for the better of the team and himself.

Because it's simply not true. Have a look at the differences in the amounts of appearances between certain players, especially in terms of PL matches.
Purely due to the consistency of our first XI. We didn't have players on the bench that wanted to be there (or so I hope), but they simply weren't given a chance to force their way into the team by the lads.

We do need 17/18 solid players to go at the league and compete in the CL. Mason could help, but we could easily sign a better alternative.

Whatever Poch goes with, we should all back. He's shown we should have faith in his decisions.

I wish people would realise that he is an AM, with a good goalscoring history when played there, and has been played most of the time out of his best position.
If we not so short of good options in central midfield, then Mason should play in the No10 role.

That way Eriksen could stay on the left and wander in and out. I think Mason is the closest replacement we have to an Ali in as much as someone who can see a pass, tackle and is capable of a goal.
I am not a manager but I always wondered that when Ali was suspended why he didn't put Mason in for him v Chavs. No disrespect to Son but Mason surely is a better fit, we didn't have to change the positions around.
Yet I can't remember a game when Poch as played him there.
-------- Kane ----------
Eriksen--- Mason ---Lamela
--- Dembele --- Dier ---
You are completely correct. Mason is not naturally a CM. If he is to score as many goals as he did when he was a kid then he should be playing further forward.

I do like Mason, but I think injuries may have taken their toll with him if I am honest.

Back
Top Bottom