Roberto Soldado

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

irrelevant. he's here now, and clearly not up to snuff. So tired of seeing this stupid fucking defense.

Maradona won a worldcup, maybe we should bring him in to replace Eriksen :goonermong:

Yes, of course it's irrelevant that months before he came to Spurs, he was pretty much the most efficient finisher in top level football. Clearly, the technical ability to hit a ball that has completely vanished during that period of time, so now he's not fit to be in the box anymore. It can't possibly have anything to do with confidence.

:capouestare:

This all bring me back to 2001, Sergie Rebrov 11 million quid, most likely the equivilant of 26 mill these days. I sooo badly wanted him to succeed but after a while you have to be realistic Bob Soldado looks a broken man and the only option now is for him to move on.

I don't think anybody should be bashed for their opinion of Soldado, whichever side you're on. The fact is he has been a disappointment for sure, missed some good chances last year (but was snatching at most) and hasn't commanded a place in the side at all which deserves high scepticism at least. Let's not forget though that he moved countries to a tough league, we had AVBoring who virtually set him up to fail in the system and style he played, there was plenty of chaos changing management and other mis-firing new signings and, he had personal upset in his private life. Some might go through that and find and retain some form and goals, he didn't, neither however did Lamela, Chadli or Capoue last year.
I don't think Ade is lazy at all but he's hardly on fire, Kane is raw and sneaking the odd moment and goal but is far from the finished article - I wouldn't completely write Soldado off. Does it frustrate me that I don't see him charging around like a lunatic? Not particularly. Do I think he is a poor player? No way. Will he ever work for us? Spursy answer is obviously no but, it's not a given. He's here until January at least and one injury to Ade or Kane and who knows what might happen.

In all competitions last year he scored 11 in 36 appearances. No matter how, who or what, that record is not as poor as it could be. It's not a wild, £26m worth of overnight success story but, in an awful campaign in so many aspects on and off the pitch, it is not a total write-off of a player. If it's that many goals in such a poor period of form and general mis-firing then maybe 20+ in 30odd games is not that impossible, doesn't he have 2 goals in 3-4 appearances already this season?

Last edited:
But yes, the fact that he's not playing with Eriksen and Lamela is hugely important. Soldado is known for his efficiency (previously in his career). He gets into positions, he finishes well, he scores goals. He is not the kind of striker that can create a lot on his own. He needs his team to set him up. With Paulinho (runner - who also needs someone to make use of his runs), Townsend (dribbler, who gets on the ball and runs with it untill he can shoot or loses it) and Kane (striker, who gets involved and looks for goal or laying off the ball to his support), there is very little of the kind of support that a player like Soldado needs.

He might be worse than the alternatives if you expect the striker to involve himself deep in the field, if you want him to fight the opponents, to hassle the defence, if you want more of a complete forward. But if you want higher quality box presence and combination play, combined with creative midfielders, a in form Soldado is probably the best one we have.

The problem with this argument is that Soldado has been shit in several systems, and with a multitude of midfield combinations behind him. Shall we buy a whole new midfield because Soldado needs it?
If you think its a simply a matter of playing Lamela and Eriksen behind him, then Poch must me missing a massive trick during training sessions.

You can see him finding space, looking to burst through, without getting the ball. There was one in particular that would've most likely been an easy goal, if he was given the ball, against Besiktas, where it was amazing that someone didn't manage to find him. You can see him move a lot off the ball, which explains why he isn't on the ball more (ref. stats posted earlier from the game), which isn't always easy to spot when watching the game on the telly.

I dont care how much he moves off the ball, or looks to run...the fact is, he is the last man in the box when a cross does actually come in, and still doesnt take a shot the times it does come to him. He lays it off immediately. He has no hold up skills whatsoever, just simply tries the quick 1-2 because he will never shoot from 18 yards out. Sorry, but good players can adapt. Soldado cant, so you can blame the entire squad around him, but I will blame his lack of adaptability.

He made himself playable, coming to get the ball, and laying it off for the midfielders moving up the field. Whereas Adebayor would take ten touches on the ball, and lose it half the time, in his current form, Soldado laid it off in one touch, mostly beating the defenders to the ball. He did that part well, but got involved very rarely otherwise.

The lack of involvement also goes to the way we are playing nowadays. Very often I've seen us pass a couple of time sideways in defence or midfield, while two to three AMs and one CM move up into the space of the striker. We move players up early, the ball up slowly, which have made our game a bit static, especially with our EL team setups (without creative ballplayers in AM), and which takes up the space the striker is supposed to operate in. And of course, it comes down to him playing with Pauly (which I rate, btw), Kane and Townsend.

Acid is one hell of a drug

Does he though?
Yes

Have you seriously missed all those through balls that Ade has been a little to slow to exploit?
Yes

Yet the stats doesn't say how often he should've had a shot, where he never got the ball. Nor how static the attacking play was, or how lacking of creativity it was.

But they do show that when he does get the ball, he rarely has a shot, and when he does shoot, its rarely on target. You say he would shoot more if gets the ball more.
Evidence suggests he would likely lay it off so he can try a get a 3yrd tap in.

Check his stats before he came to Spurs.

Check Veron's, Kezman's and Shevchenko's before they came to the PL

I don't have any faith in Bobby turning it around unfortunately, although I would turn cartwheels if he proved me wrong. He really needed to set the start of this season on fire, to assign last year's disastrous performances to the history books. But he just hasn't done that, so if we get a good offer for him in January, I would be inclined to let him go, but only on the understanding we buy an effective replacement.

I would agree that his days are numbered at Spurs, as he is clearly not rated by Poch. However, the way Ade is performing he still have the chance to get back in and then he would have a chance to play with the likes of Eriksen, Chadli and Lamela behind him. Like Chiriches and Paulinho he now belongs to the 3-4 players that find themselves in a dangerous position in our Squad. As the time moves on and he doesn't get the chance to play he has little chance of changing it too.

It needs to happen soon I'm afraid and I don't feel too confident about that..

Congrats, Soldado ... especially because of what you (and your wife) personally went through last year. Hopefully this is just the spark that he needs, to be the striker that we are ever so waiting for.

Good stuff....hopefully an end to this:

article-2497111-195361FF00000578-544_634x386.jpg

Congrats, Soldado ... especially because of what you (and your wife) personally went through last year. Hopefully this is just the spark that he needs, to be the striker that we are ever so waiting for.

Sweet kids by all means, but unless Noah is the girl on the right I don't understand the tweet!

Sweet kids by all means, but unless Noah is the girl on the right I don't understand the tweet!

Think it's a mistranslation.
In Spanish the word for brother is hermano and sister is hermana.
As with any word that has both a masculine and feminine ending (Chico/chica, amigo/Amiga) you always default to the masculine ending 'os' if addressing/describing a mixed group of males and females. Only when the group is exclusively female would you use 'as'

So in this case hermanos more accurately means 'siblings' but google translate probably wouldn't pick up the nuance.

Thus Endeth the lesson.

Alternatively his eldest child is a boy that looks ridiculously girly. Like lamela in his river plate days.

As with any word that has both a masculine and feminine ending (Chico/chica, amigo/Amiga) you always default to the masculine ending 'os' if addressing/describing a mixed group of males and females. Only when the group is exclusively female would you use 'as'

So in this case hermanos more accurately means 'siblings' but google translate probably wouldn't pick up the nuance.

Thus Endeth the lesson.

Alternatively his eldest child is a boy that looks ridiculously girly. Like lamela in his river plate days.
:adethumbup:

Thus Endeth the lesson.

Still, he's been in England for a while now, so shouldn't he know the difference between brothers and sisters? Must be slacking off in the back of the classroom with Paulinho :soldadolol:

Still, he's been in England for a while now, so shouldn't he know the difference between brothers and sisters? Must be slacking off in the back of the classroom with Paulinho :soldadolol:

I've been in Spain almost the same amount of time bob has been in England and I'm still fucking up basic language shit like this all the time. Gender-based languages can get to fuck.

I've been in Spain almost the same amount of time bob has been in England and I'm still fucking up basic language shit like this all the time. Gender-based languages can get to fuck.

Everyone know's you just have to speak English with a spanish accent and they understand.

And in the off chance that they don't raise your voice and slow your words.

our good friend timmy shershit on soldado after today's match:

"You try to give [Soldado] as much confidence as you can and you do that by backing him and playing him," Sherwood told BT Sport as he reflected on the performance of the striker he struggled to get the best out of last season.

"In the end, I couldn't keep picking him. I had to put Harry Kane into the team because day in, day out on the training field, he was outperforming him. So there was no choice. It was nothing to do with effort. In my opinion, Harry Kane is better than him.

"Everyone at the club is on his side. They want him to do well. He is a great guy and the fans shout his name when he is on the bench. They want him to come onto the field, but I don't think we can use the excuse that he needs to settle any more."

he also said we aren't top 4 so fuck him...

*disclaimer: he's probably right :paulinhofacepalm:

the mentality of our players really ought to change. Just don't see how, at this point. Stability with Poch?

Back
Top Bottom