Roberto Soldado

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We both know the reasoning for the qualification of your statement.

The reasoning is that Soldado does not shoot, therefore he doesnt score. Therefore, it would be nice if actually made an effort to help those around him.

Also, funny how Ade is called lazy and shit, but Soldado is all about the poor service. LOL....its the same team. Does Ade have Ronaldo and Bale behind him?

The reasoning is that Soldado does not shoot, therefore he doesnt not score. Therefore, it would be nice if actually made an effort to help those around him.

Also, funny how Ade is called lazy and shit, but Soldado is all about the poor service. LOL....its the same team. Does Ade have Ronaldo and Bale behind him?
I'm not disagreeing about Soldado, it was simply a question, as he has different players behind him.
But I will say this, I dont see much of Soldado laying on the floor, picking himself up slowly and subsequently being offside when the ball comes back.
Ade may be our most prolific striker at present, but lets not pretend he is a paragon of hard work.

I'm not disagreeing about Soldado, it was simply a question, as he has different players behind him.
But I will say this, I dont see much of Soldado laying on the floor, picking himself up slowly and subsequently being offside when the ball comes back.
Ade may be our most prolific striker at present, but lets not pretend he is a paragon of hard work.

Ade has his ways but he still contributes, with or without scoring. Soldado is exactly the same no matter who is behind him.

If we use Kane as an example, the entire "poor service" argument goes out of the window, because Kane also plays in the "b team", with the same players as Soldado, behind him.

Last night what was the excuse for Kane being on fire and Soldado being shite?

Its got the stage where people are just making up reviews of what he did. I could just as well write about how tireless and hardworking Paulinho was last night, and all the runs he made off the ball....its just nonsense.

Zero shots, yet again. No hold up play. No crossing. He made one single run with the ball (his first ever for this club)

I think he still did just about as much as Ade did in 11 minutes.

Can't argue with much of that, but I'd say in Soldado's favour that he is the kind of player that only wants one touch finishes, crosses from the byline that he can hit first time, which we dont provide.

He's a very niche player, relying on specific service to ensure he scores goals, if we cant give it to him, then there isn't much point playing him.

Re: Kane.... he should get a game ahead of Adebayor, not just for the hard work he has put in, but to show the younger guys that you can break into the first team off the back of the cup game performances.

Last edited:
Ade has his ways but he still contributes, with or without scoring. Soldado is exactly the same no matter who is behind him.

If we use Kane as an example, the entire "poor service" argument goes out of the window, because Kane also plays in the "b team", with the same players as Soldado, behind him.

Last night what was the excuse for Kane being on fire and Soldado being shite?

Its got the stage where people are just making up reviews of what he did. I could just as well write about how tireless and hardworking Paulinho was last night, and all the runs he made off the ball....its just nonsense.

Zero shots, yet again. No hold up play. No crossing. He made one single run with the ball (his first ever for this club)

I think he still did just about as much as Ade did in 11 minutes.
The most noticeable thing Ade did was to face AWAY from the oppositions goal just inside the penalty area and he headed the ball to the opposition, that's just real commitment!

The most noticeable thing Ade did was to face AWAY from the oppositions goal just inside the penalty area and he headed the ball to the opposition, that's just real commitment!

Big deal he got a header all wrong after being on the pitch for 5 minutes.

Its so very telling that peoples best defense of Soldado is "Ade is this" and "Ade is that".

If Ade is lazy and shit, that doesnt make Soldado any less lazy and shit.

Can't argue with much of that, but I'd say in Soldado's favour that he is the kind of player that only wants one touch finishes, crosses from the byline that he can hit first time, which we dont provide.

He's a very niche player, relying on specific service to ensure he scores goals, if we cant give it to him, then there isn't much point playing him.

Re: Kane.... he should get a game ahead of Adebayor, not just for the hard work he has put in, but to show the younger guys that you can break into the first team off the back of the cup game performances.

Agree on Soldado's preference of play but we have never played like that since he's been here. We've attacked mostly through the middle while playing inverted wingers under both AVB and Pochettino. It's not so much that he is a bad player but rather a terrible fit with our style of play. That's down to Baldini and Levy for choosing to buy him when he was never going to work with the rest of our squad.

Further complicating the issue is that Soldado went through an epically bad crisis of confidence last season. In the occasional instances when we did get him quality service he missed some absolute sitters. Away at Dnipro and United come to mind where he basically missed tap ins.

Ultimately, you can see he's a skilled player but it is hard to see how he'll have maintained success here unless we entirely alter our style of play which seems nonsensical. It's a shame as he really seems like a very nice man.

I love his commitment but this is pretty damning:
http://www.football365.com/f365-says/9500203/F365-Says

sometimes it just doesn't click...

A failure to have a single shot, the fewest touches (29) of any starting outfield player, and the fewest successful passes told the story of Soldado's evening. As predictable as it was disappointing.

Odd that some people thought he played a blinder. Really, really odd.

It has been an utter calamity. Soldado has played 1,970 Premier League minutes for Tottenham and has scored two goals from open play. He has taken 51 shots and managed just 17 on target. That shooting accuracy (33%) compares unfavourably to Jermain Defoe (57%), Adebayor (70%) and Kane (71%) over the same period. A conversion rate from open play of just 3.7% marks a startling drop from 20.5% in his previous La Liga season.

And even more odd that some people think he should be first choice

:llorishuh:

A failure to have a single shot, the fewest touches (29) of any starting outfield player, and the fewest successful passes told the story of Soldado's evening. As predictable as it was disappointing.

Odd that some people thought he played a blinder. Really, really odd.

It has been an utter calamity. Soldado has played 1,970 Premier League minutes for Tottenham and has scored two goals from open play. He has taken 51 shots and managed just 17 on target. That shooting accuracy (33%) compares unfavourably to Jermain Defoe (57%), Adebayor (70%) and Kane (71%) over the same period. A conversion rate from open play of just 3.7% marks a startling drop from 20.5% in his previous La Liga season.

And even more odd that some people think he should be first choice

:llorishuh:

He did a good job when his team involved him. What the stats doesn't show is the number of times the player made good runs into great positions without getting the ball. If you watch the game over again, and pay special attention to Soldado, you'll find quite a few of them.

He needs the likes of Lamela and Eriksen setting him up, and they need the likes of Soldado, rather than current form Ade, to set up.

He did a good job when his team involved him. What the stats doesn't show is the number of times the player made good runs into great positions without getting the ball. If you watch the game over again, and pay special attention to Soldado, you'll find quite a few of them.

He needs the likes of Lamela and Eriksen setting him up, and they need the likes of Soldado, rather than current form Ade, to set up.

Its a myth. Do you really believe that not playing with Eriksen and Lamela is the reason Soldado is shit?
What are all the amazing runs people are seeing?

He did a good job when his team involved him? How? He did not once take a shot in the entire game. He was the furthest man forward....not one single shot.

How come Kane plays well in the same set up?
Where are all these amazing through balls to Ade then from Eriksen...I could half understand if Ade was missing 5 sitters a game created from our amazing attacks.

The truth is that Ade and Kane come deep and work to help build the attacks. Soldado does not.

You say the stats dont show his runs....and the midfield is letting him down, yet they do tell us that he has had 51 shots in 1970 minutes of PL football. Nothing to do with the Besiktas game.

How is it the midfields fault if Soldado is too shit scared to shoot unless he is 1M from the goal, preferably with no one around him and no goal keeper (still missed twice in that situation, mind)...

How is it the midfields fault that he has scored two goals in open play from his 51 shots?

Or that only 17 were on target.

Its a shoddy argument because he wastes 90% of the chances he does get.

Last edited:
Its a myth. Do you really believe that not playing with Eriksen and Lamela is the reason Soldado is shit?

First of all, I don't think he's shit. As to why some fans thinks he's shit - it's more complex than just not playing with Eriksen and Lamela. He was bought to Spurs under AVB's reign - to the most static football team I've seen since AVB's Chelsea. Static, slow moving, careful attacking, with little to no creativity to set up a player like Soldado. That season was demoralizing and confidence crushing for the entire team, but more so for the newer players, and especially those that came with great expectations.

But yes, the fact that he's not playing with Eriksen and Lamela is hugely important. Soldado is known for his efficiency (previously in his career). He gets into positions, he finishes well, he scores goals. He is not the kind of striker that can create a lot on his own. He needs his team to set him up. With Paulinho (runner - who also needs someone to make use of his runs), Townsend (dribbler, who gets on the ball and runs with it untill he can shoot or loses it) and Kane (striker, who gets involved and looks for goal or laying off the ball to his support), there is very little of the kind of support that a player like Soldado needs.

He might be worse than the alternatives if you expect the striker to involve himself deep in the field, if you want him to fight the opponents, to hassle the defence, if you want more of a complete forward. But if you want higher quality box presence and combination play, combined with creative midfielders, a in form Soldado is probably the best one we have.

What are all the amazing runs people are seeing?

You can see him finding space, looking to burst through, without getting the ball. There was one in particular that would've most likely been an easy goal, if he was given the ball, against Besiktas, where it was amazing that someone didn't manage to find him. You can see him move a lot off the ball, which explains why he isn't on the ball more (ref. stats posted earlier from the game), which isn't always easy to spot when watching the game on the telly.

He did a good job when his team involved him? How? He did not once take a shot in the entire game. He was the furthest man forward....not one single shot.

He made himself playable, coming to get the ball, and laying it off for the midfielders moving up the field. Whereas Adebayor would take ten touches on the ball, and lose it half the time, in his current form, Soldado laid it off in one touch, mostly beating the defenders to the ball. He did that part well, but got involved very rarely otherwise.

The lack of involvement also goes to the way we are playing nowadays. Very often I've seen us pass a couple of time sideways in defence or midfield, while two to three AMs and one CM move up into the space of the striker. We move players up early, the ball up slowly, which have made our game a bit static, especially with our EL team setups (without creative ballplayers in AM), and which takes up the space the striker is supposed to operate in. And of course, it comes down to him playing with Pauly (which I rate, btw), Kane and Townsend.

How come Kane plays well in the same set up?

Does he though? Away against Partizan? He doesn't play consistently well. Plus, Kane is a different type of striker. Not the same class, but he gets himself involved more, works differently off the ball. He doesn't try to find space the same way, but tries to get much more on the ball. And against Besiktas, Kane didn't have the same setup around him; Soldado was one of his team mates, while Kane was one of Soldado's.

Where are all these amazing through balls to Ade then from Eriksen...I could half understand if Ade was missing 5 sitters a game created from our amazing attacks.

Have you seriously missed all those through balls that Ade has been a little to slow to exploit? You should watch the highlights from our league games. It's been pretty much a couple of times each game, but he hasn't been able to convert any of them. And this while Eriksen is a bit out of form, and Ade not making the same clever runs. And Ade has a different playstyle, like Kane, where he gets a lot more on the ball instead of trying to find space to exploit, for through balls.

The truth is that Ade and Kane come deep and work to help build the attacks. Soldado does not.

Excactly. Which explains a lot of the other ... you've been talking about. The way Soldado played against Besiktas, he came a bit deep to be available to assist the build-up when he should, and higher up the pitch than Kane and Ade - that might come deep into our half, dropping way to deep. And their involvement that deep, the work they put into building up the attacks - they do that instead of trying to exploit space in the opponent defence, instead of trying to break through, instead of giving Lamela and Eriksen through ball options.

You say the stats dont show his runs....and the midfield is letting him down, yet they do tell us that he has had 51 shots in 1970 minutes of PL football. Nothing to do with the Besiktas game.

Yet the stats doesn't say how often he should've had a shot, where he never got the ball. Nor how static the attacking play was, or how lacking of creativity it was.

How is it the midfields fault if Soldado is too shit scared to shoot unless he is 1M from the goal, preferably with no one around him and no goal keeper (still missed twice in that situation, mind)...

Lack of creativity sets him up too rarely, so he can't build his confidence. If he knows he'll always get a new chance, he won't be as scared to f... it up. If you believe in your team, it'll help you build your own confidence. And I'm not saying it's the midfield's fault. I'm saying it's the setup he plays in.

How is it the midfields fault that he has scored two goals in open play from his 51 shots?

Confidence issue plus not getting the right chances and not getting enough chances.

[
Or that only 17 were on target.

See above.

Its a shoddy argument because he wastes 90% of the chances he does get.

Check his stats before he came to Spurs.

Back
Top Bottom