Roberto Soldado

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Delighted for him. From experience, losing a child can ruin your head.

Sick that AVB still forced him out onto the pitch rather than just pick Ade.

Maybe Soldado would have benefitted from having the pressure taken off him, and I mean benefit off the pitch. Football doesnt matter with things like this.

The manager needed to act like a human being.

Sick that AVB still forced him out onto the pitch rather than just pick Ade.

Maybe Soldado would have benefitted from having the pressure taken off him, and I mean benefit off the pitch. Football doesnt matter with things like this.

The manager needed to act like a human being.
Literally any opportunity to bring up AVB, eh?

Literally any opportunity to bring up AVB, eh?

If Soldado was suffering mentally due to the loss of a child, and he was picked to play through that period because the manager didnt like the other striker as a person, then I think its relevant to question his handling of the situation.

You can discuss that, or not. Bring up who you want if you have something more pressing to talk about.

If Soldado was suffering mentally due to the loss of a child, and he was picked to play through that period because the manager didnt like the other striker as a person, then I think its relevant to question his handling of the situation.

You can discuss that, or not. Bring up who you want if you have something more pressing to talk about.
If only that was it, but you and I both know it's not now, don't we sammy boy? It's pretty clear to anyone who is paying attention that you take any chance to stick the knife ever deeper into AVB, but bringing it up disguised as concern for the mental well-being of a player following the loss of an unborn child is particularly low, even for you.

If only that was it, but you and I both know it's not now, don't we sammy boy? It's pretty clear to anyone who is paying attention that you take any chance to stick the knife ever deeper into AVB, but bringing it up disguised as concern for the mental well-being of a player following the loss of an unborn child is particularly low, even for you.

Are you suggesting that Soldado wasnt affected by losing a baby?

Or just that he didnt deserve time off?

I'm saying that you are opportunistic and disingenuous.

I actually said the same back in the winter when this came to light.....and whatever I am, the point still remains that sometimes, people in difficult situations need those around them to see whats best for them.

Sending Soldado out didnt help him.

It didnt help the team either, and it certainly didnt help AVB.

Last edited:
Maybe Soldado wanted to play. Then dropping him would have made him much more stressed. People grieve differently. Some like to keep busy. Not fair IMO to deduce that AVB is sinister.
For on the pitch reasons Ade should have played though.

Maybe Soldado wanted to play. Then dropping him would have made him much more stressed. People grieve differently. Some like to keep busy. Not fair IMO to deduce that AVB is sinister.
For on the pitch reasons Ade should have played though.

to be fair, Defoe played through plenty of family tragedy...
whether thy're scoring hat-tricks each week or not, if they want to play to help the team (and take their mind off personal loss) then good for them, I say!

to be fair, Defoe played through plenty of family tragedy...
whether thy're scoring hat-tricks each week or not, if they want to play to help the team (and take their mind off personal loss) then good for them, I say!

Totally agree.....the thing is, we all know that isnt the reason AVB picked Soldado though.

Some interesting comments here. If soldado was knocking on the door & asking to be played then it was the managers call whether he was in the correct frame of mind to play competitively. If however, he was understandably suffering in his personal life, & forced to play because of the managers personality clash/beanie hat/whatever issue it was with another team member then it's little wonder he struggled to settle. If he was simply too committed & professional to ask for time off & gave AVB the option of not picking a fully fit & proven EPL player because of whatever issue he had, then again the manager should have seen that no matter how hard Robbie was trying, the spark wasn't there. I'm no hater of AVB. Just interested to see how people see things so differently

What is this nonsense on this thread?

None of us know what the conversations were between AVB and Soldado.

I find it highly unlikely that Soldado was forced to play when his wife had just had a miscarriage, because modern workplace regulations would prohibit that if he was bereaved or mentally unfit.

But, like everyone else on here, I don't know and see no point in speculating and then arguing about the speculation.

How about a football discussion as to whether Soldado should be picked for the Sunderland match?

None of us know what was said, we can only assume Bobby said he was happy to play (I hope would AVB had the humility to speak to him and give him the option) - but I know from personal experience with this very issue that I would much rather stay busy and bury my head in other things.

Of course everyone is different. But as I say, we have to hope that AVB (or someone at the club) dealt with him personally and put the decision in his hands.

To be fair (and I am a Bobby fan) his form has been questionable for over a year now, so as much as this experience wouldn't have helped him, I'd suggest he just hasn't settled into our formation or tactics under the previous two managers.

Fingers crossed he can under Poch. The bloke needs some goals.

Back
Top Bottom