Pochettino has brought the passion back

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Not sure if you're agreeing with me....

Wouldn't have expected much less of a return from Sunderland, West Brom, Fulham, Stoke, West Ham & Villa. Let's not forget the 4-0 hiding in the game prior to the last 6 at Liverpool. Or how poor we were at West Ham.

Of course you wouldnt can i ask what would you have expected from these games this season?

Sunderland Away
WBA Home
Newcastle Home
Stoke Home
Palace Home
Palace Away
West Ham Home

To take more than 3 points i'd guess.

What would you have expected from these games this season?

Sunderland Away
WBA Home
Newcastle Home
Stoke Home
Palace Home

Palace Away
West Ham Home

To take more than 3 points i'd guess.
Yep let's judge the new manager on those opening months.

I'll take you serious on the last 2. Palace away would have wanted a point, was disappointed with that one. West Ham in the middle of that cluster fuck period also would have been happy with a point.

If you want to look at facts let’s look at Mr. Points Per Game. Yes he achieved 46 points in 26 games but like I said he bottled it against nearly all the top 7 which he only had to play once. 1 point per game against those top 7 (or 33% win ratio for those that love that metric instead). Using he actual results and average PPG from games vs. top 7 sides & non top-7 sides (Timmy sure loves his owns stats so why shouldn’t he preachers), over a 38 game season he would have delivered 19 wins and 62 points. So 50% or 1.63 PPG.

After 30 games Poch is at 53% & 1.77 PPG. With our run-in it really shouldn't drop below the messiah he took over from :pochlol:

What were you doing with Sherwood?
Sherwood chose to not improve his squad in January and we remained shit throughout the season. Like I said his believers and the man himself sprout the convenient stats. But 1 point per game against other top 7 sides, with 4 goals for & 15 against in 6 games is quickly forgotten (all 6 of his points were against Moyes & Martinez). He is very lucky he didn't face any of them twice!

Sherwood chose to not improve his squad in January
Sherwood chose not to improve his squad in January.... He was given the job late December you wally, you criticised him for exiling players that have barely featured as nothing more than subs since poch took over, cant you see you are being slightly hypocritical? Probably not...

Sherwood chose not to improve his squad in January.... He was given the job late December you wally, you criticised him for exiling players that have barely featured as nothing more than subs since poch took over, cant you see you are being slightly hypocritical? Probably not...
He'd been at the club and probably shouldn't have taken on the role without knowing anything about the first team players if that's what you're implying (not saying he didn't). Poch still hasn't cleared the dead wood but found a way to make the 23-25 man squad he had to perform better than the tripe we served up last season. Sherwood & Poch both had/have their guys they could trust, problem for Sherwood was it was so few!

Just look at our better results this season like the Woolwich & Chelsea wins. Just Fazio in the 5-3 was a new member to the squad. Compare that to having our pants pulled down 5-1 at home to City, or 4-0 away to Liverpool, or being so abject in the NLD 1-0 loss. Is Fazio really that good that it's he and not our manager having a galvanised squad that has improved us?

Bar the odd game (Woolwich and Chelsea) our performances have not been any better, late solitary goal victories over sides you expected Tim to beat..... of course had Tim listened to the fans and played soldado instead of kane Poch would probably be out of a job by now

I went into this season with only two thoughts in mind: Eriksen would be brilliant for us, and Lloris would be Lloris regardless of what backs we littered in front of him. With every transfer window, AVB was so intent on nabbing players from Porto, and Pochettino started that way with his desire to take players with him from Southampton. Chalk that up to the manager desiring control over what he puts on the field, but I wanted to see a manager affect change with the solid pieces we already have, and work to get more out of the lucrative signings (Soldado and Lamela) we already made.

Given the mounting variables in the defensive backfield, and what we were looking at with Ade/Soldado at striker, I was incredibly down on Spurs this season. I was thinking of us falling between 7th and 10th on the table, with the latter position predominating.

But, as the article so eloquently put it, Pochettino brought the passion back and has truly squeezed so much from various players (Chadli, Mason, Bentaleb, and Kane), and while he hasn't gotten much out of the aforementioned Soldado and Lamela, he has been riding the waves of some stellar play (from the demigod himself, the English Jesus reincarnated as Harry Kane) that, I feel, can be attributed to him. Kane's Millwall, Norwich, and Leicester loans left so much to be desired, but one can't simply regard Kane's ascension and Pochettino's arrival as mere coincidence.

We could stay right where we are at 7th and I would still be content, all things considered. A year under Pochettino's belt will put us all in for Champions League next year.

Last edited:
Bar the odd game (Woolwich and Chelsea) our performances have not been any better, late solitary goal victories over sides you expected Tim to beat..... of course had Tim listened to the fans and played soldado instead of kane Poch would probably be out of a job by now
Actually, a lot of our performances have been better. We also have a bunch of late game heroics in other matches, but unlike Tim, Pochettino has actually produced a team which can press, create attacks, defend and not mentally shit the bed. They can't do it every game yet, but even doing it once is more than Tim managed.

If Sherwood was as good as his supporters claim, then Levy wouldn't have ditched him, rather than siding with the players. When you have an angry mob to show for 5 months of work, you did something wrong.

If Sherwood was as good as his supporters claim, then Levy wouldn't have ditched him, rather than siding with the players. When you have an angry mob to show for 5 months of work, you did something wrong.
The angry mob was there from day one, before he was given the role "permanently" in fact.

and as for a levy not ditching managers if they are any good, he ditched Redknapp.

We mentally shit the bed against united the other week.

For the record I'm not having a pop at Pochettino, just pointing out the blatant hypocrisy and double standards of some.

People say don't judge Poch too early, but people judged Sherwood after a few months, indeed earlier. Some had written him off from day one and before.

I'm not anti-Poch, but don't like the disparity between the judgemental values that seem to exist for him and Tim.

We're doing worse in the League, we did better in the Cups, but won nowt. Thus the Lge is the most important barometer in judging the two, IMHO.

For the record I don't believe Poch will get us CL next season. Hope I'm wrong, etc.

People say don't judge Poch too early, but people judged Sherwood after a few months, indeed earlier. Some had written him off from day one and before.

I'm not anti-Poch, but don't like the disparity between the judgemental values that seem to exist for him and Tim.

We're doing worse in the League, we did better in the Cups, but won nowt. Thus the Lge is the most important barometer in judging the two, IMHO.

For the record I don't believe Poch will get us CL next season. Hope I'm wrong, etc.
I can see why you'd be annoyed at people judging Sherwood in just a few months whilst also calling for time for Poch.

However, the main message I was getting across in the article was that everything was just so miserable under Sherwood. I'd never felt so distanced from the club and he was turning us into a joke with all the sound bites he was coming out with.

Personally, I just prefer the way Poch holds himself. He knows he's at a prestigious club and he knows the club are the most important thing for the fans, as alluded to in the article. Sherwood on the other hand seems to think it's all about him.

I feel more confident that Poch has a long term plan and overall I'm just happier and more optimistic about the club in general than I was a year ago.

Fair comments Sawbo, and I know a lot of Spurs fans feel like you do. So I'm happy there's a 'feelgood' atmosphere around the club.

But I'll never forget or forgive the excesses of the 'anti-Sherwood' campaign last season.

As to the future we'll see. I've no particular confidence in Poch, but if the fans in the ground get behind him and the team, which I sincerely hope they do, then just maybe we can finally get that elusive trophy this decade and another CL campaign as well. :coys:

I can see why you'd be annoyed at people judging Sherwood in just a few months whilst also calling for time for Poch.

However, the main message I was getting across in the article was that everything was just so miserable under Sherwood. I'd never felt so distanced from the club and he was turning us into a joke with all the sound bites he was coming out with.

Personally, I just prefer the way Poch holds himself. He knows he's at a prestigious club and he knows the club are the most important thing for the fans, as alluded to in the article. Sherwood on the other hand seems to think it's all about him.

I feel more confident that Poch has a long term plan and overall I'm just happier and more optimistic about the club in general than I was a year ago.
less pts, more smiles

Fair comments Sawbo, and I know a lot of Spurs fans feel like you do. So I'm happy there's a 'feelgood' atmosphere around the club.

But I'll never forget or forgive the excesses of the 'anti-Sherwood' campaign last season.

As to the future we'll see. I've no particular confidence in Poch, but if the fans in the ground get behind him and the team, which I sincerely hope they do, then just maybe we can finally get that elusive trophy this decade and another CL campaign as well. :coys:
Personally, I really do have belief in Poch; let's just hope he can prove your lack of confidence wrong and bring some glory back to the Lane.

Back
Top Bottom