Pedro Porro

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Signed 31st Jan
Un-used sub 5th Fen (City W1-0)
Started 11th Feb (4-1 battering where he was terrible)
Benched for West Ham where we won 2-0 and Royal scored.
Benched for Chelsea where we won 2-0
Started Vs Wolves - lost 1-0 (was taken off before the losing goal tbf)
Started Vs Forest - won 3-1 & got an assist
Started Vs Southampton - 3-3 and scored

Those are all the games we had in the league under Conte and the games he was dropped, we won, without conceding a goal.

Conte did nothing wrong with his game time.
This. He was a player signed far too late to have any impact under Conte.

He should have been signed in the Summer instead of the Levy driven deal for that waste of space DJed Spence.

Porro could and likely would have been outstanding as a wing back in a fully functional Conte side, but he was brought into the team when the wheels had well and truly fallen off.

On t
I'm not posting this as a criticism, just for the comment!

7) Pedro Porro (Tottenham): -2.2
Expected goals:
Actual goals: 0

Has taken 37 shots in the Premier League without scoring a goal. He is a right-back. For perspective, that’s more shots taken than Gabriel Jesus. That’s Angeball.
On the other hand, 37 shots and no goals……Angeball? Bit concerning that.

He should have been signed in the Summer instead of the Levy driven deal for that waste of space DJed Spence.

Porro could and likely would have been outstanding as a wing back in a fully functional Conte side, but he was brought into the team when the wheels had well and truly fallen off.
Especially as that position is crucial to contes style. But shock horror levy went for a much cheaper punt that has backfired & now we have an unwanted player we need to shift.

Especially as that position is crucial to contes style. But shock horror levy went for a much cheaper punt that has backfired & now we have an unwanted player we need to shift.
I'm fairly confident that signing Porro in the summer rather than in January would've had little to no impact on Conte's tenure.

It doesn't appear that Spence will work out, but don't think we can call him a cheap punt. He was a promising young player that did well in the Championship, exactly the type of player a lot of people had been crying out for.

I'm fairly confident that signing Porro in the summer rather than in January would've had little to no impact on Conte's tenure.

It doesn't appear that Spence will work out, but don't think we can call him a cheap punt. He was a promising young player that did well in the Championship, exactly the type of player a lot of people had been crying out for.
I guess we will never know. That defence conte had at his disposal was average at best & not at all to contes strengths. You can put all on the blame on conte & say he was backed & supported. But I would disagree. & I think you rate those defenders more highly than me.
I think it’s harder than you think to sign championship players for 10m & make them in to a success. Hence I see them as cheap punts. When did we last sign a championship player for 10m or less who turned in to a success. They are a bit of a punt to me. Bale was 5m I think.

Thinking that Conte would have got anything out of Porro last season 😐

I guess we will never know. That defence conte had at his disposal was average at best & not at all to contes strengths. You can put all on the blame on conte & say he was backed & supported. But I would disagree. & I think you rate those defenders more highly than me.
I think it’s harder than you think to sign championship players for 10m & make them in to a success. Hence I see them as cheap punts. When did we last sign a championship player for 10m or less who turned in to a success. They are a bit of a punt to me. Bale was 5m I think.
He was still a cunt. I just don't like him as a human being... whines harder than Kanye....

Thinking that Conte would have got anything out of Porro last season 😐
Why wouldn’t he have?

Obviously we will never know for absolute certain, but I think there’s every chance he would have.

Porro was the classic Conte wing back. Technically great, a warrior, athletic.

To say we wouldn’t have been better with Porro as a RWB option earlier in Conte’s tenure instead of Royal Doherty and Spence is ridiculous.

Yep Conte had already checked out by then. Buying Porro for Conte was like trying to have a baby to save a marriage.

Why wouldn’t he have?

Obviously we will never know for absolute certain, but I think there’s every chance he would have.

To say we wouldn’t have been better with Porro as a RWB option earlier in Conte’s tenure instead of Royal Doherty and Spence is ridiculous.

Probably because 95% of the squad went backwards under him and didn't improve last season.

I didn't say we wouldn't have been better off with Porro as a RWB option, I said it's doubtful Conte would have got anything out of him last season, you're deluded if you think otherwise.

I actually agree that the defenders were below par, especially considering the amount of pressure they got put under on a weekly basis. It wasn’t helped by the midfield just being a void, which is something he could’ve gotten more creative with, as both Sarr and Bissouma were heavily underused.

It worked out in the in but I still for the life of me don’t understand why the club went and bought Porro for him, everything had turned so toxic at that point there was no way he was going to be around for another season.

The fact that Porro managed to adapt so well and quickly to a completely new system speaks volumes about his quality. Was fully expecting him to be a defensive calamity but he’s more than proved me wrong on that front.

As for your last point, I agree, the majority of young championship players will be punts. I just don’t like it when people use hindsight to judge them as either “club being cheap” when they sign for us and don’t work out, or “Levy being a tightarse” when signing for other clubs and setting the league on fire.

Why wouldn’t he have?

He’s 100% a far better wing back than either Royal or Doherty, no doubt he’d have contributed more than either of them. I just can’t see how it would’ve changed the overall season.

The problem with Conte was far greater than not having an elite RWB though. He wanted elite everything, which is not how we work.
The vibe was off from the start of the season, it was just massively papered over by the early results.

He was still a cunt. I just don't like him as a human being... whines harder than Kanye....
Yeah he was never a good fit anyway. We need project type coaches as levy will never have a ready made team to win titles in place.

I actually agree that the defenders were below par, especially considering the amount of pressure they got put under on a weekly basis. It wasn’t helped by the midfield just being a void, which is something he could’ve gotten more creative with, as both Sarr and Bissouma were heavily underused.

It worked out in the in but I still for the life of me don’t understand why the club went and bought Porro for him, everything had turned so toxic at that point there was no way he was going to be around for another season.

The fact that Porro managed to adapt so well and quickly to a completely new system speaks volumes about his quality. Was fully expecting him to be a defensive calamity but he’s more than proved me wrong on that front.

As for your last point, I agree, the majority of young championship players will be punts. I just don’t like it when people use hindsight to judge them as either “club being cheap” when they sign for us and don’t work out, or “Levy being a tightarse” when signing for other clubs and setting the league on fire.
Yeah Porro has done really in a short time. It was strange signing him when we were in such a mess under conte who we knew would get sacked or quit. It could had gone the other way where Porro joins a toxic team playing badly & never recovers. Like some of Chelsea’s. But he has really stepped up.
I thought he would be good going forward but very poor at the back. But he has improved his defensive game a lot since coming over.
Yes conte didn’t help himself with not using biss & sarr much. Especially when the alternatives weren’t great anyway.

I get your point about hindsight with signings. But I honestly think any £10m type championship signing is a punt no matter what team does it. Not just levy! Or else you would have to pay more or there would be much more competition for him.
You would be mad to strongly expect a 10m championship player to become a starter for a top 6 team.
That’s why teams lower down have a bit of an advantage as they can bed championship signings in & give them longer to work out. As well as having lower standards to start with.

Back
Top Bottom