Paulinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

As much as I feel Ade would be sufficient at No.10 if not for forcing Eriksen/Lamela out wide I feel its odd you would play Harry Kane out of his natural position which is certainly not at No.9.

As much as I feel Ade would be sufficient at No.10 if not for forcing Eriksen/Lamela out wide I feel its odd you would play Harry Kane out of his natural position which is certainly not at No.9.
Ade could play there, but it causes problems elsewhere - it's just daft - and there's no need to anyway.

Fucking hell. This thread.

All this pulling apart of my opinion because I think Ade is creative? He had 11 prem assists in his first season with us. He's ALREADY got a prem assist and a goal this season.

We need his experience and presence to be the main man in the final third. Him and Kane supplying the presence and Eriksen and Lamela the guile.

Fucking hell. This thread.

All this pulling apart of my opinion because I think Ade is creative? He had 11 prem assists in his first season with us. He's ALREADY got a prem assist and a goal this season.

We need his experience and presence to be the main man in the final third. Him and Kane supplying the presence and Eriksen and Lamela the guile.
Judging from your neg rep in the Dembele thread, you think he should be played at No. 10, as well.

:paulinhofacepalm:

Judging from your neg rep in the Dembele thread, you think he should be played at No. 10, as well.

:paulinhofacepalm:

That's quite a jump there fellah. Ignore my FACT that Ade has had 11 prem assists in ONE season then bring up another player?

My opinion on Dembele being an underrated AM isn't exactly controversial. He's been played as a holding player for most of his Spurs career. But you know for a fact that he can't perform a different attacking role? Based on what? His 2 attacking roles in 2 years for us?

And please link to where I said Dembele should be a number 10. I never mention number 9, number 10 etc because I'm not a pretentious douche who thinks these numbers mean something mythical. Number 9, dlp, number 10 is the calling card for the pretentious.

People claiming xyz isn't a classic number 9 makes me want to reach for a vomit bag.

Last edited:

Yeah I think Kane should be furthest forward, but he's pretty slow, so need to supply him in a different way.

I reckon we need to release him further up the pitch...less time to get caught by CBs......which would mean a more intense pressing game. Probably where Paulinho could come in handy actually...?

Yeah I think Kane should be furthest forward, but he pretty slow, so need to supply him in a different way.

I reckon we need to release him further up the pitch...less time to get caught by CBs......which would mean a more intense pressing game. Probably where Paulinho could come in handy actually...?
Isn't he saying Kane shouldn't be the furthest forward? Regardless of where Paulinho might or might not play. Sorry if I've misunderstood.

That's quite a jump there fellah. Ignore my FACT that Ade has had 11 prem assists in ONE season then bring up another player?

My opinion on Dembele being an underrated AM isn't exactly controversial. He's been played as a holding player for most of his Spurs career. But you know for a fact that he can't perform a different attacking role? Based on what? His 2 attacking roles in 2 years for us?

And please link to where I said Dembele should be a number 10. I never mention number 9, number 10 etc because I'm not a pretentious douche who thinks these numbers mean something mythical. Number 9, dlp, number 10 is the calling card for the pretentious.

People claiming xyz isn't a classic number 9 makes me want to reach for a vomit bag.
I'd like to see Dembele in a more attacking role. LW, AM - don't mind. But think he could do a job for us in a more advanced position.
FSQfZre.png

Sorry, nope.

Bad idea.
t8aainw.png

I even backed you up to a degree about Adebayor, so I don't exactly see how I was ignoring anything.

Do those numbers refer to something mythical? No, but they do refer to certain playing roles in football that are fairly accepted throughout the entire football world. Hardly pretentious. You can choose to disregard commonly accepted parlance if you like, but when you state your preference for a central midfielder like Dembele playing in a more attacking midfield role then for nine out of ten people that means you want him playing as a "Number 10", and you look like a twat for throwing a hissy-fit, mincing your words about it, and calling everyone else pretentious.

Dembele's entire career is a reference to the fact that he's a better central midfielder than he is an attacking player. Actually, he started his career as a striker, but didn't light the world on fire. He's said it himself that attacking and shooting doesn't come naturally to him, that he grew up learning possession and dribbling, but that he has to work on his shooting because he wants to score more goals, but that it goes against his instincts:
Dembele said:
‘I just like to play, to pass the ball and dribble,’ says the Belgium star. ‘When I was young I never shot. I always wanted to dribble the ball in the goal. I don’t want to shoot because I don’t like to, but it’s different now. You have more experience and you think more.

‘Is it about scoring the perfect goal? Yes, maybe. Before I always played on the street with two lampposts that were like a basketball pitch, and we could not shoot. You had to dribble and touch the ball on the posts to score. We never shoot the ball.

‘So maybe it’s because I always played on the street and I liked to do it nice and beautiful.’ He smiles, before saying ‘boom’ and mimicking a driving shot from distance.

‘I know now it’s important to shoot and have the combination,’ he adds, ‘not only to dribble but to shoot a lot as well. I try to do this more and more.

‘It’s true that I have to improve my hunger to score goals and I think in the last two years I have concentrated more on this. I don’t score a lot of goals but before I only thought about playing nice football. Now I try to be more important for the team by trying to score goals as well.’

Back
Top Bottom