Other Matches Fred 2023/24

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I see we're relying on the Chavs to get something at Villa Park tonight.

We all know how this ends up, don't we?

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I see we're relying on the Chavs to get something at Villa Park tonight.

We all know how this ends up, don't we?

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif
Another humping up there will probably cost Poch his job with the narrative going round at the moment, let's see if he can spark a response from this group of players. I don't think it ultimately will make much difference for chavs, a new face next season just means hitting the reset button on the shitshow again.

What a great season the boy Foden is having. Exceptional player.

Must be a few more on the production line coming through for England.

One of those players that just by being, excites the young'uns and shout "Fodeeeeen" when they shit on the playground

I've said it before. Go back 15-20 years and he was exactly the type of player England didn't have and were crying out for. Someone that technique wise could fit right into a Spain or Brazil team. We were great at producing box to box midfielders that could bomb forward all day. But against the better teams we just never had the ball to really do anything. Now we have players like Foden, Palmer and Grealish. Even Stones at the back who is as good on the ball as any centre-back in Europe. Even in the recent games against Brazil and Belgium in which we didn't play particularly well, we still had more possession than both. That would never have happened during the "golden generation" under the likes of Sven, Capello and McClaren.

I've said it before. Go back 15-20 years and he was exactly the type of player England didn't have and were crying out for. Someone that technique wise could fit right into a Spain or Brazil team. We were great at producing box to box midfielders that could bomb forward all day. But against the better teams we just never had the ball to really do anything. Now we have players like Foden, Palmer and Grealish. Even Stones at the back who is as good on the ball as any centre-back in Europe. Even in the recent games against Brazil and Belgium in which we didn't play particularly well, we still had more possession than both. That would never have happened during the "golden generation" under the likes of Sven, Capello and McClaren.

From that generation we miss more deep lying controllers. Scholes and Carrick spring to mind. Foden and Palmer are more like players we had in the 80’s in Hoddle and Barnes.

Our attack on paper is world class maybe the best of any country but we lack depth in deeper positions and above all a manager with a philosophy of how to use our attacking players.

In terms of balance I am thinking we may need to fast track Wharton, guy is an absolute baller in the 6 and we don’t have anyone who can do 6 in the modern sense (Rice isn’t a modern 6, he is more an 8).

England always fuck up playing their best players rather than their best team. Below might not be our best players but perhaps the best balanced team we can field. I know that leaves out Saka and Palmer but Foden is probably the best player in the whole league right now.

Best team balance wise?

Pickford
Walker Stones Maguire Shaw (if he is fit)
Bellingham Wharton Rice
Foden Kane Gordon

Best team talent wise

Pickford
James Stones Branthwaite Shaw
Bellingham Rice
Saka Foden Palmer
Kane

Last edited:
That's a really shit Liverpool side compared to some of the teams they've had under Klopp. Endo, Gakpo, Elliott and Gravenberch are really pretty average. Quensah has potential but should never be starting for any side with title ambitions.

Good players but not elite. The step down from peak Mane, Ferminho, Fabinho is quite stark. If Slot isn’t on it Liverpool could drift and that is before you come to the clear and obvious decline of Salah and even Van Dijk.

Salah this season either has been in bad form or is in decline (normally when I say a player is off it they have a great day so he will probably score today and have the best game of the season) and it’s hard to know which although pace reliant players normally decline at his age. Salah’s general play has always been high risk high reward and a bit selfish but his world class ability means you don’t mind. I think having Nunez fuck up a lot has covered this to an extent.

A typical day for Salah 2-3 seasons ago was

- mis control the ball and fall over
- miss a big chance
- make a bad pass
- score a wonder goal out of nowhere
- fall over
- not make a pass when a pass would have led to a goal
- make a world class passing assist
- score a tap in

Now it’s more

- mis control the ball and fall over
- miss a big chance
- miss a big chance
- make a bad pass
- miss a big chance
- fall over
- not make a pass when a pass would have led to a goal
- score or assist to cover up

Just feels like his ratio of decent/promising opportunity to assist/score has dropped quite a bit.

Well today’s the day he spanks West Ham.

That stat that Liverpool have had more shots than any other team In Europe’s top 5 leagues shows just how poor their finishing has been this season.

Wow that’s a massive difference from them to second in that list

Agree their system is generating the chances to win games and trophies but they can’t finish. Nunez, Salah’s decline and Jota being injured has cooked them.

Interestingly Arne Slot plays a system that generates a lot of shots, therefore if Pool want to not fall back to mid table they need to fix their forward line in the summer.

Back
Top Bottom