Nuno Espírito Santo

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Nuno

• Total voters
Could it be, maybe, just possibly, that Tottenham Hotspur have once again lucked out on a managerial pick that was never the main choice?
:nunoteeth::pochsmirk:

Santini failed, Jol filled in. Biggest progression for THFC in premier league era.

Jobs sacked, Ramos in. Ramos terrible and sacked. Redknapp brought in to steady the ship- next biggest step for THFC in PL era.
Redknapp lasted much longer than Levy anticipated IMO.

Redknapp sacked for being an arrogant pratt. Replaced with Levy ideal coach AVB.

AVB failed and was replaced with a bit of a nobody at the time who saw another giant leap for THFC.

Fell out of love with Poch over backing and sacked him.

Brings in Mourinho 10 years too late, has a few wanks then realised it was a mistake so sacked him.

Hires the last person on his list as replacement.
Now, if we're looking at patterns, we've never had back to back coaches with a sustained period of improvement.
On that basis, is Nuno about to take is forward again based on Mourinho being a bit of a disaster?

Or that Nuno realised
1- he was on a yellow card
2- he’d been outstanding and wanted to let Japhet get the full standing ovation from his fans which is something he won’t ever forget, rather than it get submerged into the general applause after the game?
It was still a mystifying substitution for me but there are possible explanations beyond it just wasting a few seconds.

I think Tanganga came off because Romero came on and we went for 5 at the back. To see the game out.

Can't believe (well I can, lol) several months back I was debating with people here whether Nuno was a shit coach when there's no evidence for it.

I'm not getting carried away - top 6 would be a good season given the context and problems here.

As one of those, I'm happy to say that was far better than I was expecting, very impressed, even though I'm not a fan of the slow start, cede possession and spring game, it can be very effective and I won't judge him for not going all out vs the champions at all. We desperately needed that, the players, the fans, and of course Nuno as the un-fancied man at the helm, so he's done brilliantly to stump the harlem slave rotters in his first game. Great start.

I really hope when the opposition warrants we come out and go for it from the off too, but I'd have to be a fool not to say there aren't some pretty strong indicators that he has a lot more talent than I'd given him credit for after that first performance, long may it continue.

Hope Dan supports him and, after that, and isn't just left thinking "Nuno doesn't need reinforcements, we're the best team in the league" so we can actually ride this wave and make it more than a honeymoon.

Last edited:
Few positions still need an improving but what I liked about yesterday was Nuno set the team up with a game plan for the players involved and it worked perfectly. He is going to bring so much positivity and belief to the team. Just goes to show what a half decent, respected manager can do with some players that have been written off. I don't expect us to play like that every week but I'm a lot more confident than I was with Nuno in charge than the dinosaur.

I think like many I was a bit indifferent when he was announced, but seeing how he has crafted a new-ish side out of some previously stagnating talent (Sanchez, Dier, Dele) and promising youngsters (Tanganga, Skipp) has been really impressive. He seems to have this personality that expects 100% effort, 100% of the time, but is also able to put an arm round players who Mourinho would just have ignored if he clashed with them. Of course we're not a finished product, we need the Kane chapter closed whether he goes and we replace him or he stays. But I definitely like where we're going at the moment. Maybe it's just the game talking...

As one of those, I'm happy to say that was far better than I was expecting, very impressed, even though I'm not a fan of the slow start, cede possession and spring game, it can be very effective and I won't judge him for not going all out vs the champions at all. We desperately needed that, the players, the fans, and of course Nuno as the un-fancied man at the helm, so he's done brilliantly to stump the harlem slave rotters in his first game. Great start.

I really hope when the opposition warrants we come out and go for it from the off too, but I'd have to be a fool not to say there are some pretty strong indicators that he has a lot more talent than I'd given him credit for after that first performance, long may it continue.

Hope Dan supports him and, after that, and isn't just left thinking "Nuno doesn't need reinforcements, we're the best team in the league" so we can actually ride this wave and make it more than a honeymoon.
I wasn’t referring to you actually - I think loads of people here had (well founded!) doubts. There was one poster though who referred to Nuno as a shit coach which is harsh imho.

And yes - only one game!

He's a likeable guy and today, he got his tactics spot on. I like the move to 433 and I like the 3 man midfield of Dele-Skipp-Hojbjerg. They worked well as a trio.

This....

Sick of teams just strolling straight through the middle of the pitch....... Both in Poch's diamond and much of Jose's reign, this was a major problem.

Probably the best journo of Spurs. Genuine fan and the best questions almost always come from him. Must take big balls to be a journo with his unfortunate voice, so full credit to him.
His question in that video was pretty average, thought Ali Gold's were slightly better. Worst was some jd dyer guy who brought up harry kane first. Fuck me, we just won a game and he wanted to concentrate on kane.

His question in that video was pretty average, thought Ali Gold's were slightly better. Worst was some jd dyer guy who brought up harry kane first. Fuck me, we just won a game and he wanted to concentrate on kane.
Both Veal and Gold are good. I'd probably rate Veal a bit higher since he is more willing to be critical or to not tow the club line as much as Gold tends to be. You can get a more evenly nuanced report out of Veal more often than not in my opinion.

Few positions still need an improving but what I liked about yesterday was Nuno set the team up with a game plan for the players involved and it worked perfectly.

One of the things I really like is how he often talks of finding "solutions" for the players..... I.e. playing to the strengths of the individuals and not forcing them into positions they are uncomfortable with.

There's no point just dumping a system on a group of players and saying "adapt to it!"..... (Again; see Poch's diamond and Jose-ball in general.)

1. What can the individuals do? / What skillsets do you have at your disposal? / How can you accentuate those strengths?
2. How can you mold the individuals into a cohesive whole? / What system/formation?
3. Who are you playing? / How are you going to engage with their strengths?

To me that's good, well rounded management; not being stringently wedded to a style/system or needing to buy a new player every time a challenge is posed.

Last edited:
I wasn’t referring to you actually - I think loads of people here had (well founded!) doubts. There was one poster though who referred to Nuno as a shit coach which is harsh imho.

Some will have been founded.... Others fueled by cuntery....

Right on with your point tho.

He had the correct plan yesterday, and it built on what we had seen in pre-season. It looks pretty similar in some ways to 2015-16 Pochettino, but works well with the strengths of the squad. It was really annoying that no one would give him any respect based on just the final season at Wolves, and they completely ignored everything he had been doing in pre-season, but if they want to stick to the same tired narratives about Pep and City's money, that's fine. We have always done better when people ignore us because they're too caught up in their own bullshit.

This isn't a plan that'll work forever, and I doubt we'll have a long cycle of success, but as a solid fight back up the table, this is what we need right now, and I think it's going to work.

Back
Top Bottom