Next Seasons Kit Sponsor.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

AIA Or HP ?

• Total voters
@ MKYid MKYid

ahhh fuck it

600px-Red_x.svg.png

Michael Jackson & AIG.

If you don't watch or read the news, I don't see how you'd expect to know who companies are and what they do, really?
:avbcringe:

I know that Michael Jackson is dead...so I obviously watch some of the news, but you kind of prove my point in that in despite the millions they have spent on advertising on Utd's shirts, people like myself still have no idea who they are or what they do, and apparently most of their exposure comes from a news story involving a pop-star anyway!

Yeah no JVC and Samsung products for me. Wouldn't touch a Dreamcast with a barge pole :lamelawtf: Wont fly Emirates - I actually paid slightly more for a flight so I didn't have too - call me a pedantic prick :walker-scream:
samsung tv, samsung blu ray, samsung phone & tablet, samsung surround sound, hell, even the tivo box i got from vurgin media turned out to have been manufactured by samsung.

I cant be arsed with all that "wouldnt use if they sponsored the goons/chavski guff. simply cos one day, the goons or chavski will get sponsored by someone i couldnt manage with out, like busty asian beauties, or kleenex, or something equally important to me sex life.

funny though..probably the best way to get 90% of the football supporters in the country to quit smoking. get "smoke tabs" printed on a chelsea shirt.

I know that Michael Jackson is dead...so I obviously watch some of the news, but you kind of prove my point in that in despite the millions they have spent on advertising on Utd's shirts, people like myself still have no idea who they are or what they do, and apparently most of their exposure comes from a news story involving a pop-star anyway!

They are an insurance company who deal with multi-million pound events, concerts etc.

I'm sure they're not concerned as to whether you know who they are - you're not the target market. I can assure you that they probably affect your day to day life more than you'd think.

You only hear about large insurance companies when something goes wrong. I can't really make any sense in your point really?

Where really is the argument of "What's the point of our sponsor if they don't do anything for me?" - Football is a multi-billion pound business, there's unlikely to be financial sense in sponsoring the team just so "Dave, 43, from Kent" will buy a Pizza from you - it's about creating recognition that wins contracts worth 10 x the amount of the sponsorship, then using the sponsorship to host events, give away shit, use a directors box etc. etc.

They are an insurance company who deal with multi-million pound events, concerts etc.

I'm sure they're not concerned as to whether you know who they are - you're not the target market. I can assure you that they probably affect your day to day life more than you'd think.

Why? I am smack bang in the middle of the demographic of the type of people who watch football yet millions of pounds are paid to advertise a product that isn't aimed at that demographic?

Where really is the argument of "What's the point of our sponsor if they don't do anything for me?" - Football is a multi-billion pound business, there's unlikely to be financial sense in sponsoring the team just so "Dave, 43, from Kent" will buy a Pizza from you - it's about creating recognition that wins contracts worth 10 x the amount of the sponsorship, then using the sponsorship to host events, give away shit, use a directors box etc. etc.

That's not what I said, I asked (as above) why pay millions to advertise your company when your customer is not necessarily someone who would have seen it? Of the Tens of Thousands inside Old Trafford on any given match day, how many are directly involved with obtaining insurance for multi-million pound events, concerts etc?

Compare this with other teams in recent seasons, how many inside St James Park would use a bank (Northen Rock)? How many at Anfield drink beer (Carlsberg)? How many at WHL went on holiday (Thompson)? How many at Portsmouth ended up unemployed (Jobsite)?

Maybe this is why I'm not in advertising, I just figured you would advertise to the type of people your product was aimed at, rather than in the case of AIG where it just seems to be so they can brag to a prospective client that their name is associated with Utd...whether said client even cares about football or not. (Indeed if I were a client my first thought would be that AIG have too much money which they waste frivolously and that this obviously comes from an inflated premium..!)

how many inside St James Park would use a bank (Northen Rock)?

I remember that worked out well for them..

How many at Anfield drink beer (Carlsberg)?

Scousers don't count, that's part of their 5 a day!

How many at WHL went on holiday (Thompson)? How many at Portsmouth ended up unemployed (Jobsite)?

Maybe this is why I'm not in advertising, I just figured you would advertise to the type of people your product was aimed at, rather than in the case of AIG where it just seems to be so they can brag to a prospective client that their name is associated with Utd...whether said client even cares about football or not. (Indeed if I were a client my first thought would be that AIG have too much money which they waste frivolously and that this obviously comes from an inflated premium..!)

It's not about who is in a stadium to see the shirt, it's wherever a replica shirt goes in the world, it's free advertising. If you don't watch football (soccer), then great - subliminal advertising is great, feeling a familiarisation of something breeds trust and helps gain an edge on competitors.

Think about where you'd see the logo - it'd be everywhere in the world.

It's like asking why Lloyds Banking Group sponsored the Olympics - you didn't "see" their advertising, but they got to use it the other way round.

Think about corporations - company 'x' you've heard of but not so much, it's a niche market like I don't know, skyscraper insurance, but company 'y' you've heard of and then they say "we're also the main sponsor of a Premier League football club" - in addition, they can hold hospitality events at match days, give away free stuff as part of the partnership....

These days, it goes far far beyond the superficial - it's like how Real Madrid apparently made the transfer fee back out of Bale's move in a matter of weeks just through selling shirts and advertising. Then, the secondary factor is that "Bwin" were on the front page of the papers, website and all sorts with Gareth holding their logo on a shirt - that's gold dust for marketing, even if most people don't even know what Bwin is, never mind have an inclination for gambling.

I guarantee that whoever sponsors a football team will make far more money from the deal than it costs, and the demographic of fans who use/buy/want their product/service is seen as a 'bonus' rather than a motivator

Why? I am smack bang in the middle of the demographic of the type of people who watch football yet millions of pounds are paid to advertise a product that isn't aimed at that demographic?

That's not what I said, I asked (as above) why pay millions to advertise your company when your customer is not necessarily someone who would have seen it? Of the Tens of Thousands inside Old Trafford on any given match day, how many are directly involved with obtaining insurance for multi-million pound events, concerts etc?

Compare this with other teams in recent seasons, how many inside St James Park would use a bank (Northen Rock)? How many at Anfield drink beer (Carlsberg)? How many at WHL went on holiday (Thompson)? How many at Portsmouth ended up unemployed (Jobsite)?

I think this is a well-made point and it certainly applies to the people there on the ground, but you must remember that the people at the grounds aren't the only ones watching. It's the affluent world's biggest league in the world's most popular sport, plenty of people are watching everywhere even slightly casually. The association with a worldwide brand pulls slightly curious eyes, and they may look to invest. It's also rather clear that the club is looking to get more of a headstart as the Premier League brand is getting going in Asia. As of now it's a massive population that consists of almost entirely fickle Man U fans, perfect demographic to target (economically speaking).

All that having been said, I really hope Ali Z was right, because that merits a far fatter check than 12 million GBP.

AIG rock. My brother was contracting with them when the deal was signed.

Every PC in the company, the night before the deal was announced, received a software update. one that contained a non removable screen saver of the man utd badge, and a non removable wallpaper of the team photo. every employee also received a free shirt, which was left hanging over the back of their chair. right down to the call centre employees.

went down very well with the call centre based in liverpool, acorrding to me brother.

I remember that worked out well for them..

Scousers don't count, that's part of their 5 a day!

It's not about who is in a stadium to see the shirt, it's wherever a replica shirt goes in the world, it's free advertising. If you don't watch football (soccer), then great - subliminal advertising is great, feeling a familiarisation of something breeds trust and helps gain an edge on competitors.

Think about where you'd see the logo - it'd be everywhere in the world.

It's like asking why Lloyds Banking Group sponsored the Olympics - you didn't "see" their advertising, but they got to use it the other way round.

Think about corporations - company 'x' you've heard of but not so much, it's a niche market like I don't know, skyscraper insurance, but company 'y' you've heard of and then they say "we're also the main sponsor of a Premier League football club" - in addition, they can hold hospitality events at match days, give away free stuff as part of the partnership....

These days, it goes far far beyond the superficial - it's like how Real Madrid apparently made the transfer fee back out of Bale's move in a matter of weeks just through selling shirts and advertising. Then, the secondary factor is that "Bwin" were on the front page of the papers, website and all sorts with Gareth holding their logo on a shirt - that's gold dust for marketing, even if most people don't even know what Bwin is, never mind have an inclination for gambling.

I guarantee that whoever sponsors a football team will make far more money from the deal than it costs, and the demographic of fans who use/buy/want their product/service is seen as a 'bonus' rather than a motivator

What you say is probably true, but like a creationist explaining his belief to someone who believes in evolution...I really can't get my head round it!

I just don't understand how a company can spend millions on advertising, just to say "we are the sponsors of Man Utd here have some tickets", so some people can go and not watch a game of football, stuff their faces with free food and drink, take home a shirt (that they will just palm off to a relevant family member), because as far as I can see, and I use logic as much as possible, the bottom line is...well, the bottom line, i.e company 'x' will do more business than company 'y' as they are cheaper...regardless of how many Man United freebies the other dishes out.

What you say is probably true, but like a creationist explaining his belief to someone who believes in evolution...I really can't get my head round it!

I just don't understand how a company can spend millions on advertising, just to say "we are the sponsors of Man Utd here have some tickets", so some people can go and not watch a game of football, stuff their faces with free food and drink, take home a shirt (that they will just palm off to a relevant family member), because as far as I can see, and I use logic as much as possible, the bottom line is...well, the bottom line, i.e company 'x' will do more business than company 'y' as they are cheaper...regardless of how many Man United freebies the other dishes out.

Because you're still not considering how global the Premier League is and thus how many eyes are on those sponsors. The 80,000 that are at any given game at Old Trafford are a mere fraction of the people on this planet that are watching that game. I live in a state that is one of the most hostile towards "soccer" in the entire union, and I never go a day anymore without seeing someone wearing a Prem shirt. Was running in the indoor track at the gym last week and saw a guy in an Everton shirt playing volleyball. Guarantee you no one in that gym in Alabama had ever heard of Chang until that guy walked in that day.

Because you're still not considering how global the Premier League is and thus how many eyes are on those sponsors. The 80,000 that are at any given game at Old Trafford are a mere fraction of the people on this planet that are watching that game. I live in a state that is one of the most hostile towards "soccer" in the entire union, and I never go a day anymore without seeing someone wearing a Prem shirt. Was running in the indoor track at the gym last week and saw a guy in an Everton shirt playing volleyball. Guarantee you no one in that gym in Alabama had ever heard of Chang until that guy walked in that day.

^ This.

Multiply it by a million, and that's what Asian is apparently like. Footballers do weird adverts over there, they just love it.

If you were a business, how much would it be worth to you to have your brand name seen by at least, say between 1 million to a billion people world-wide every week? I think £12m a year is a snip, it's better value for money than the costs of 'exposure' using internet adverts (which can be as much and well over as £1 per click)

And how many of them since hearing of Chang, know what Chang is? And most importantly...how many of them guys are now going to buy some?

Which goes back to my original point, has anyone ever consciously brought a product based on its advertising?

And how many of them since hearing of Chang, know what Chang is? And most importantly...how many of them guys are now going to buy some?

Which goes back to my original point, has anyone ever consciously brought a product based on its advertising?

Well Chang isn't sold here, but you better believe upon coming into contact with it if they're looking to try a new beer, they'll try it. For instance, Carlsberg has only just been making its way into sizable hauls at stores. Would never have thought to even try it were it not for its football association, guaranteed.

I'm not necessarily arguing with you, as of course these companies would like to target the masses that go to the matches as well. I just think you're underestimating the global effect your league has on global economics.

No, but I have NOT bought stuff 'coz they sponsor other teams!

I think this was answered above, but I'll reiterate it: a company like AIG isn't ever going to make money off a regular Joe (unlike, say, Chang). But when they come in to put a giant bid insure a skyscraper, the team of City boys deciding who will get the bid will have at least heard of AIG from the Man U shirts. Man U fans or not, that carries with it some kind of intangible appeal, gives the illusion of stability, and ties the firm with a winner (er…).

IIRC, in an earlier post you suggested that you'd just pick whatever bid was the cheapest, but that's not the criteria followed by all companies. Some will get swayed by what it means to partner up with AIG, which would include Man U tickets, etc., as well as AIG's possibly good services.

I mean, every big-time insurer I can think of I either know about from reading Matt Taibbi's articles (bad) or their sponsorship of football clubs (good). With neither resource, I'd have no idea. Of course, I'll also probably never have to deal directly with such an entity…

Back
Top Bottom