New Stadium

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Holy Sh*tballs - The Tunnel Package is very very cool
npbXz

So hold on a sec... I've looked through all the options, and it appears the H Club, the Sky Lounges and the Tunnel Club have 802 seats between them. All of those seats have "access to away tickets", plus "access to additional away tickets". The 'Loge Boxes' have capacity for 240-360 people, with "access to away tickets (subject to availability)", plus "access to additional away tickets". Then all of the premium seats have "access to additional away tickets" too.

I very much hope that all these potential corporate away tickets won't be coming out of the regular allocations - I'd really like to know how this will work, but I suspect the club will keep silent...

So hold on a sec... I've looked through all the options, and it appears the H Club, the Sky Lounges and the Tunnel Club have 802 seats between them. All of those seats have "access to away tickets", plus "access to additional away tickets". The 'Loge Boxes' have capacity for 240-360 people, with "access to away tickets (subject to availability)", plus "access to additional away tickets". Then all of the premium seats have "access to additional away tickets" too.

I very much hope that all these potential corporate away tickets won't be coming out of the regular allocations - I'd really like to know how this will work, but I suspect the club will keep silent...

I would presume that if you're corporate you're not then going to sit with the shit munchers at an away game.

Plus "Access to away tickets" is a very ambiguous statement.

Otherwise Bournemouth away is gonna be fun! Prawn Sandwich anyone??

I would presume that if you're corporate you're not then going to sit with the shit munchers at an away game.

Plus "Access to away tickets" is a very ambiguous statement.

Otherwise Bournemouth away is gonna be fun! Prawn Sandwich anyone??
I think most clubs provide a small number of 'premium' away seats, but I doubt they'd have much capacity - so my concern would be if you have 800 corporates wanting away tickets, and the away club can provide 100 premium tickets, it might mean 700 tickets being taken from the regular allocation. That's obviously an extreme example, but I'd like the club to be clearer here

I think most clubs provide a small number of 'premium' away seats, but I doubt they'd have much capacity - so my concern would be if you have 800 corporates wanting away tickets, and the away club can provide 100 premium tickets, it might mean 700 tickets being taken from the regular allocation. That's obviously an extreme example, but I'd like the club to be clearer here

The number of corporates wanting to go to away games is still gonna be small though, no? Plus "Access" is no guarantee.

The away game is the last bastion for the football fan seeking a "traditional" experience. I've almost given up going to home games now because the experience is unrecognizable. I cant see it being particularly attractive to a corporate type.

Still.... i wouldn't put it past them - handing out Spurs branded ponchos on the concourse so that "Alistair" from MasterCard doesn't get beer on his sports jacket.

The number of corporates wanting to go to away games is still gonna be small though, no? Plus "Access" is no guarantee.

The away game is the last bastion for the football fan seeking a "traditional" experience. I've almost given up going to home games now because the experience is unrecognizable. I cant see it being particularly attractive to a corporate type.

Still.... i wouldn't put it past them - handing out Spurs branded ponchos on the concourse so that "Alistair" from MasterCard doesn't get beer on his sports jacket.

Small world, how is Alastair doing? Haven't heard from him in years. Crazy that he's still at MasterCard, he told has aspirations of joining Amex when we were at Duck & Waffle.

Some gooner tried to troll SSC...typical SSC slap-down...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurostallion1
"It's quite amusing how Tottenham fans are already proudly proclaiming how this new stadium will have a better atmosphere than other new stadiums, particularly the Emirates, before a game has already been played there.

The owners and designers have done a good job of selling the myth that the single tiered stand at one end has been designed to improve the atmosphere. In reality, this was a design compromise. They had to build a simple lightweight stand at that end of the ground to accommodate the sliding pitch. If they could have a corporate tier with more boxes at that end they would.

It looks like that stand won't be ready for the opening season and thus the noisier fans will already have bought season tickets in other parts of the ground, which they will probably stay in even when the single tiered stand opens. Therefore that stand will mainly be filled by newcomers, daytrippers, tourists and selfie sticks, who are less likely to join in with chants let alone initiate them.

Also, it seems to me that this venue will be less than ideal for soccer given that it's being built for American football. This will become apparent when it opens.

Besides, Spurs are increasing their capacity by some 25,000 which will inevitably mean more corporates, more johnny come latelys, more daytrippers and more selfie stick wielding tourists. Exactly the things that Spurs fans mock the Emirates for and exactly the things that lead to a lack of atmosphere."

Arf!

It's certainly "quite amusing" that you apparently seem to 'know' more about this stadium, its design and construction than those of us who have followed it intimately for years. But, mindful as I am of the need for humility in the face of your superior knowledge, I hereby offer my counter:

- Contrary to your claim, the single tier end is no mere design compromise. A single tier end was already the most striking element of the previous KSS design. It had led to the loss of some 1500 corporate seats from their original design and a total of 2000 fewer seats overall. Its inclusion had nothing to do with the need for a lightweight construction because there was no sliding pitch at that end. Nor did it have anything to do with a tight construction schedule since the plan, at that time, was for Spurs to move into the two thirds complete stadium while the remainder was finished. Equally important, there was no further pressure on time exerted by the need to meet contract obligations with the NFL. Populous' single tier design was always intended to expand and improve on KSS's single tier design, to distinguish new WHL from standard bowl stadia and to act as a visual focal point - and, yes, to aid atmosphere. That it also enabled a lightweight, relatively quick construction is merely a secondary consideration.

- It's interesting that you should believe that "if they could have a corporate tier with more boxes at that end they would". The Populous design has already increased corporate capacity by nearly 2000 over the KSS design. And there is design provision for more in the north end, should it ever be required. Clearly, the club didn't think that there is any need for yet more corporate seating at the other end.

- I'm not sure how you come to the conclusion that the single tier end won't be ready for the opening season at the new stadium. There are still 22 months of construction to go and, last we heard, the builders are pretty much on schedule. But even if progress slips, why should that mean that all the hard core fans will have to buy season tickets elsewhere and never henceforward get to congregate at the single tier end? Is it beyond wit to imagine a scenario in which a delayed opening leads to temporary displacement of hard core fans? I suspect not.

- The new stadium isn't "being built for American football". Its design accommodates both codes. But American football requires a smaller field area than Association football and NFL stadia tend not to go in for single tier ends. So, if anything, it is American football that will have to make a few minor compromises. From Spurs' perspective, the compromise (if it can be called that) that we will have to make is that the stadium will be considerably more expensive to build. By way of mitigation, though, we will have a far more flexible, usable and commercially attractive stadium that will greatly increase revenues.

- Yes, capacity at the new stadium will increase by 25K. And yes, the corporate capacity will increase by 5K. But if the migration is properly handled, that needn't lead to a sterile atmosphere at the new stadium. Unlike the Emirates, the corporate seats will only be at the sides. Unlike West Ham, the new season ticket holders at the new WHL will be club members who have been on the (now 58K) season ticket waiting list and regular match-goers for years.

- To conclude, the new WHL will have steeper stands, closer to the pitch than at comparable new stadia in the UK. It will have a single tier end to act as a focus for support and to break up the visual homogeneity typical of other bowl stadia. And while there can be no guarantee that the atmosphere will amount to much (it's already a bit crap at the current stadium, to be honest), I think there is enough about the new stadium that, all else being equal, its design will more likely promote a good atmosphere than the Emirates design.

Back
Top Bottom