New Stadium

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

First post after being a long time lurker! Felt compelled to comment here though.

As previously mentioned the station re-name will be part of "the package" that's sold to whoever buys the naming rights to the stadium. I suspect the £12 million will easily be re-couped in additional revenue from the sponsor though in destroying references to the old stadium name.

As sad as it is (and I might get some stick for this!) I think we need to be realistic and accept that we'll need every last penny we can get to finance this stadium without dismantling the fantastic squad that's been built up the last 2 seasons. If that means re-naming the train station than so be it.

First post after being a long time lurker! Felt compelled to comment here though.

As previously mentioned the station re-name will be part of "the package" that's sold to whoever buys the naming rights to the stadium. I suspect the £12 million will easily be re-couped in additional revenue from the sponsor though in destroying references to the old stadium name.

As sad as it is (and I might get some stick for this!) I think we need to be realistic and accept that we'll need every last penny we can get to finance this stadium without dismantling the fantastic squad that's been built up the last 2 seasons. If that means re-naming the train station than so be it.

Daniel, is that you?

But it shouldn't even be an issue though.The stadium and the local Railway station are two different things(we don't own it..Or has Daniel bought it unbeknown to us).
Why rename it at all( i am talking TfL wanting to name it North Tottenham) Don't get me wrong, as another poster said, i have bigger things to worry about and the stadium losing its name is not the worst case scenerio, but...It doesnt make sense.It just seems a pointless exercise.

But it shouldn't even be an issue though.The stadium and the local Railway station are two different things(we don't own it..Or has Daniel bought it unbeknown to us).
Why rename it at all( i am talking TfL wanting to name it North Tottenham) Don't get me wrong, as another poster said, i have bigger things to worry about and the stadium losing its name is not the worst case scenerio, but...It doesnt make sense.It just seems a pointless exercise.

The Government / TFL is becoming commercially aware, that is why.

Hang on... Stanners... didn't you used to be over on some other Spurs site?? Spurs Community??? Glory-Glory or somesuch?
Your name Jermaine Defo rings a bell... even if the '24' doesn't!

It's not called White Hart lane because of the road, it's because of the pub, The White Hart which the clubs ground were behind, and owned by.
It was called White Hart/High Road Ground.

It just so happens that White Hart Lane station been there since the 1870's, so it was the nearest station.

Obviously people got the train to White Hart Lane, so the referred to the place as going to white Hart Lane.
Not such a great leap from The White Hart Grounds.
If Bruce Grove would have been nearer would it have been referred to as Bruce Grove? I don't think so, probably something to do with the White Hart.
We demolished the pub and nobody really raised eyebrows, yet renaming a station to the name of the club does?
So, future generations will be going to Tottenham Hotspur on the train and that name will stick.
However, there will be a 'welcome to tottenham hotspur' on the front doors and not a 'welcome to white hart lane'

It's not called White Hart lane because of the road, it's because of the pub, The White Hart which the clubs ground were behind, and owned by.
It was called White Hart/High Road Ground.

It just so happens that White Hart Lane station been there since the 1870's, so it was the nearest station.

Obviously people got the train to White Hart Lane, so the referred to the place as going to white Hart Lane.
Not such a great leap from The White Hart Grounds.
If Bruce Grove would have been nearer would it have been referred to as Bruce Grove? I don't think so, probably something to do with the White Hart.
We demolished the pub and nobody really raised eyebrows, yet renaming a station to the name of the club does?
So, future generations will be going to Tottenham Hotspur on the train and that name will stick.
However, there will be a 'welcome to tottenham hotspur' on the front doors and not a 'welcome to white hart lane'

Station should have been renamed Valentino's View when the pub went

Post of the day on SSC...
"I've just spent all morning catching up with around 100 or so pages, and I've never been happier to do so
smile.gif
Two weeks ago I was making my way home from work, walking on the pavement when I was struck by a car, catapulted into the air and landing some 20ft away from where I was. I was airlifted to the Royal London as it was thought I'd suffered a brain injury (being a Spurs fan was the clue lol) and I remained in an induced coma for 10 days before they brought me out of it at the weekend.

I've got a bit of a journey ahead of me to get my health back to where it was, but I'm just so thankful to still be alive
smile.gif
It's extremely weird to not have any clue what's happened in two weeks or so - I'm finding that very difficult to cope with. My daughter did make me laugh, when I woke up from the coma she said "Spurs have been playing in the new stadium for a year now" (she knows I'm a saddo watching it progress)"

I personally don't care if the name is changed. As someone said, changing the name in the first place is probably to get some money for TFL. Although WHL would still make perfect sense even if the entrance is moved 50 metres away. There is very little in that area though apart from Tottenham Hotspur so not a problem with it being called that.

Edit; Apologies, perhaps Chick King will feel hard done by.

Can anyone really see Levy agreeing to fork out 12 million to change a station name that absolutely everyone associates with the club anyway? Genuine question. The only way I can see him being forced into any such agreement would be if they were going to change it to something that had nothing to do with Tottenham. In which case there would be objections galore & they wouldn't get a penny. I just can't see him parting with £12 million for a station name when he's normally reluctant to part with wind.

Last edited:
The same post on here, regarding the renaming of the WHL discussed earlier this week:

Apparently this guy has brilliant sources...so here goes:

From Mattilda Collywobs on Glory Glory re. the Station renaming and stadium progress.

"The story is a heavy distortion of facts.

It is TfL who are extremely keen to dissolve the station name 'White Hart Lane', and to replace it with North Tottenham, 'in order that it complements South Tottenham'. At this point, it should be recognised that TfL only began discussing a name change after Northumberland Development Project had gained significant planning traction.

What is clear is that our decision to heavily invest has presented a clear commercial opportunity for TfL, and they are keen to explore that as it aligns with their revenue growth strategy. It is within that context where we would like to influence the direction of any rename as the new station will act as a major artery into NDP.

Regarding project progress, NDP is now almost bang on schedule as the construction team successfully gained time over the summer. Installation of the raker beams brought form to the site, and these will be complemented further as the first SPS spans are installed this month. Beyond, construction of Core 6 will begin in earnest in mid-November.

We cannot however influence projects beyond our control, other than to stress how important it is that promised infrastructure is there to receive and support.

The same post on here, regarding the renaming of the WHL discussed earlier this week:

Apparently this guy has brilliant sources...so here goes:

From Mattilda Collywobs on Glory Glory re. the Station renaming and stadium progress.

"The story is a heavy distortion of facts.

It is TfL who are extremely keen to dissolve the station name 'White Hart Lane', and to replace it with North Tottenham, 'in order that it complements South Tottenham'. At this point, it should be recognised that TfL only began discussing a name change after Northumberland Development Project had gained significant planning traction.

What is clear is that our decision to heavily invest has presented a clear commercial opportunity for TfL, and they are keen to explore that as it aligns with their revenue growth strategy. It is within that context where we would like to influence the direction of any rename as the new station will act as a major artery into NDP.

Regarding project progress, NDP is now almost bang on schedule as the construction team successfully gained time over the summer. Installation of the raker beams brought form to the site, and these will be complemented further as the first SPS spans are installed this month. Beyond, construction of Core 6 will begin in earnest in mid-November.

We cannot however influence projects beyond our control, other than to stress how important it is that promised infrastructure is there to receive and support.
I do wonder how much having the station name changed to us will make a difference. It is not a line tourists will ever use as far as I am aware. Is 12 million too much? If I was Levy I would do it but I know fuck all.

I do wonder how much having the station name changed to us will make a difference. It is not a line tourists will ever use as far as I am aware. Is 12 million too much? If I was Levy I would do it but I know fuck all.
Isn't it part of the overall plan that the stadium bocomes used on non match days by tourists and what not?

Isn't it part of the overall plan that the stadium bocomes used on non match days by tourists and what not?
& concerts too. Adele* live at WHL.
She is a spurs fan after all!
* chas & dave opening for her of course.

Back
Top Bottom