Nabil Bentaleb

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Generally speaking, sufficiently defending that space in front of defence is probably the biggest deficit in his partnership with Mason at all.

Disagreed with you before over this and explained why, maybe you just don't get the system? How can the midfield press and defend space at the same time? It's impossible, the system demands that the central duo press more than anyone else. You can only defend space when you're being attacked and under pressure, which we rarely are these days.

A lot of fans will think we need a top level defensive midfielder to progress, and I am inclined to agree

We don't need a defensive midfielder, as I've said before, because our system depends on a high work ethic and making a nuisance of yourself, not necessarily great defending. Mason has the 3rd highest tackles per game rate in the league; better than Schneiderlin. Why would you replace him or Bentaleb?

We don't need a defensive midfielder, as I've said before, because our system depends on a high work ethic and making a nuisance of yourself, not necessarily great defending...

Stambouli would be considered more of a defensive midfielder and he's looked pretty damn strong in the system. I think the key is, as you stated, having a high work ethic and strong passing capabilities. Whether that is a defensive or holding midfielder (i.e. Bentaleb), the key is really just having a high work ethic.

Stambouli would be considered more of a defensive midfielder and he's looked pretty damn strong in the system. I think the key is, as you stated, having a high work ethic and strong passing capabilities. Whether that is a defensive or holding midfielder (i.e. Bentaleb), the key is really just having a high work ethic.
Stambouli is also well capable of holding the ball up and making high levels of accurate passes. He's just a central midfielder who plays a deeper role. Making tackles, interceptions and passing used to what every central midfielder could/should do.

I think Poch really likes players who can do a lot of things.

Simple put:
System football.

Disagreed with you before over this and explained why, maybe you just don't get the system? How can the midfield press and defend space at the same time? It's impossible, the system demands that the central duo press more than anyone else. You can only defend space when you're being attacked and under pressure, which we rarely are these days.

Woot? Teams with midfield trios and duos most definately don't have a particular problem knowing when to press and when to drop.

It's not a question of one or another. It's a question of knowing when to do what. Football intelligence.

Poch's Southampton midfield certainly had no problem doing that either.

We don't need a defensive midfielder, as I've said before, because our system depends on a high work ethic and making a nuisance of yourself, not necessarily great defending. Mason has the 3rd highest tackles per game rate in the league; better than Schneiderlin. Why would you replace him or Bentaleb?

Because at the end of the day, we need to stop conceding goals. I'd prefer to develop though than to buy, if possible at all.

Never realised that. Strange really thought he'd been pretty good in Bentaleb's absence. Especially in an away game against an in form attacking side
I agree, I like him. May be he is injured/ill??? May be Poch has a rotation plan for him?? Or may be Poch thought that he needed someone with pace to deal with Liverpool??? But surprised me he was not on the bench.

I agree, I like him. May be he is injured/ill??? May be Poch has a rotation plan for him?? Or may be Poch thought that he needed someone with pace to deal with Liverpool??? But surprised me he was not on the bench.
We've got 9 days until our next game not sure rotation would. Had to be ill/injured. It really beggars belief how Paulinho gets a go at all.

Well said Nabil. Allardyce loves a mouth off despite the facts.
They are proven long ball merchants who's game is all about crossing.
Nabil could also have said that their 2nd goal was offside more than Kane's was. ffs how Valencia was not flagged offside when Noble crossed it to him I don't know. He was also interfering with play as it was meant for him, just went over his head and was put in by a player behind him. Offside all day long.
Also the point blank save from Lloris in the 2nd half from the free kick should have been offside. When the kick was taken 3 of them, including Noble who headed it back, were offside.
Yes, the officials certainly did make some mistakes Sam.

PS.. I loved it went Nabil went Apeshit near the dug out yesterday. Love to see so much controlled aggression. Born leader.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom