Mousa Dembélé

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Quite shitty news but not nearly as catastrophic as it could be with the strength we have in midfield now. Hope to see him back soon because we certainly don't have a like for like.

Very annoying, but it's quite something that we've gotten our best start ever without the player without whom we couldn't win a game last season. We'll manage.

CuqIGT-WcAIQAkS.jpg

Looks happy enough today in training.

Tottenham’s Mousa Dembélé endures another injury setback in training
• Midfielder will have test on a foot injury sustained in training
• Mauricio Pochettino: ‘When he touches the ball it’s painful for him’

David Hytner
The Guardian
Thursday 13 October 2016 15.02 BST
Last modified on Thursday 13 October 2016 22.00 BST

Mousa Dembélé has sustained a foot injury in training that, according to Mauricio Pochettino, the Tottenham Hotspur manager, is causing him pain when he kicks the ball. It is the latest setback for the midfielder and Pochettino said he would undergo further tests on Friday.

It is unclear whether Dembélé will be available to play at West Bromwich Albion on Saturday, or for how long he will be sidelined, but what is known is that it is a recurrence of an old injury.

Dembélé had come back into training after the hamstring injury he picked up against Sunderland on 18 September when he got a stamp on the top of his left foot. At the beginning of last season, he was out for five weeks with an injury to the same foot.

“He got a problem against Sunderland and then he got a knock in his foot and that is an old problem,” Pochettino said. “He is now recovering from that. It’s minor but for him it’s painful. When he touches the ball it’s always painful for him.”

Dembélé missed Tottenham’s first four matches of the season because of the suspension that he received at the end of the previous campaign for gouging the eye of Chelsea’s Diego Costa, and he has played only twice since – as a half-time substitute in the Champions League tie against Monaco on 14 September and then as a starter against Sunderland. He was withdrawn in the 74th minute with what Pochettino initially thought was cramp in his hamstring but the problem turned out to be more serious.

The Spurs manager had better news on Harry Kane, who has not played since he seriously damaged the ligaments in his right ankle against Sunderland. It was reported on 26 September that the striker had the chance of coming back in time for the north London derby at Woolwich on 6 November – which had previously seemed beyond him – and Pochettino fired those hopes when he said that Kane would return to light training.

“At the end of this week, maybe he can start to train and touch the grass a little bit,” Pochettino said. “He’s very positive, he’s doing well. We’ll see. We don’t know when he’ll play. We can only explain that he’s doing well. We hope that next week he’ll be training on the grass, on the pitch – still not with the group – but we’re happy in the way he is recovering from his injury.”

His injury problems have been chronic since he joined. It's so frustrating.

I'd be inclined to utilise Winks more in his absence, been very impressive.

He was quite durable last season, picking up the ban at the end skewed his appearances a bit. His chronic hip injury no longer seems to be a problem, did he get it sorted after the World Cup?

Seen some questioning his 'weak' mentality on the twitter. I'd have thought he was anything but weak.

He was quite durable last season, picking up the ban at the end skewed his appearances a bit. His chronic hip injury no longer seems to be a problem, did he get it sorted after the World Cup?

Seen some questioning his 'weak' mentality on the twitter. I'd have thought he was anything but weak.
Don't think he is weak mentally.
Just one of those unlucky one's with a body who can't cope with a full season of football.
Injury plagued.

I do think he maybe lacks a bit of confidence with his shooting or realising how good he is.
He has a good shot on him but doesn't shoot enough.
Too selfless at times.
Still a very good unique player!

Last edited:

He's just a sicknote init? Every team has them.

The mentality stuff is bollocks. Moose is tough.

I'm more inclined to think he's more of a sicknote. He's certainly not Ledley mk2, who continued to play with only one knee. Dembele's injury issues are far less chronic than that.

Luckily this season we're not as reliant on Dembele and our results have reflected that in his absence. Fully fit he is one of the first names on the team sheet. Let's not rush him back just yet.

This only seems to be a problem he gets in training. I'd be more inclined to have him do his own training. Keep himself feet, do some ball work but keep him out of the five a side games where contact with other team mates can occur.

I also think we're lucky that we have better depth this year. This year has shown that Dembele isn't as important as we all thought, but he's still one of the first names on team sheet when he's fit, in my opinion.

Think our real test is still a few weeks out. Feel more relaxed about him and Harry missing a few more but we certainly need them back for some of the bigger games. The rest of the team have been amazing to date, I feel super positive at the moment, sure we can have a result go against us but we've got a good engine now.

Back
Top Bottom