Michael Dawson

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Thanks Daws, good man, decent defender. The right time to move on and a great deal for us for a 30 year old of this level and a very smart signing for Hull too. Good luck lad. Hope you have a good run in Europe....oh, wait. Um, well, a good run in the carling then - they still in that?

No I actually saw two of them players play at WHL Mick and my quoted post about Mackay from George Best was to highlight that he was a hard man on the pitch contrary to what you say. Maybe you know better than George Best Mick , play against Mackay did you! In your National Service days or in your dreams. Your the one who is a bullshitter mate.
And as you would know you cannot make any credible comparison with today's players and nor should you. But then you Mick are just out to troll people.
Ah yes - the ready answer of the exposed bulshitter - you are trolling me. I don't troll at all, I will however point out when I believe people to be liars or bullshitters. Or do you believe that all you post is beyond comment or reproach?
Actually national service ended in 1960, so I would have been 2 at the time - pretty much in keeping with the accuracy of most of the bilge you post.
As for Mackays playing ability, at no time did I say he wasn't a tough opponent to play against, he was a ferocious - but scrupulously fair tackler. I was making a distinction between the likes of Mackay and the players of lesser ability or just plain mean spiritedness, who would resort to foul play to intimidate or take out a player.
It helps if you actually read what is being said to you, instead of grandstanding all the time.

I got a question:

I already mentioned why I think Bale is not a Spurs legend (yet), and then I started to wonder what fans thought of Dawson. So to the people that do (and even don't) think that Bale is a legend ... do you also considered Dawson a legend?

Speaking for myself, I mean saw that people here mentioned that Daws will attain that golden status. But I find that highly assuming. For me, he isn't even close to being one. (Heck, I'd put Baled ahead of him.) I still appreciate his service, but imo, Dawson just has been a loyal servant, who did just enough ... nothing more.

yeah
you have been bullshitting about your knowledge, but in reality its just about what you have read elsewhere.
I only express opinions of players I have seen playing and have a valid memory of, and that goes back to starting to actually watch them play from around 69, so I did actually see Gilzean play for spurs and remember him with the same affection as anyone else who was a supporter back then.
Unlike you I don't have to trawl the internet for those memories.
The Spurs team of the 60s may have been "greats" of their day, but the reality is that their ball control,skills and fitness were abysmal in comparison with todays players, and sufficient (video) evidence still exists to demonstrate the gulf between the generations. White by all accounts was a class above his peers, as were Blanchflower, Brown, Smith and Jones, the reality being that none of them had demonstrable skills that would get them looked at twice nowadays. Greaves apart, IMV - he quite clearly was a man above and beyond the skill levels of his day, as were the likes of Best, Charlton and probably half a dozen others who possessed genuine talents that set them apart.
Comparing players in the 60s to today's players is pretty pointless. The footballs were heavy and the pitches were terrible. In fact, pitches were pretty bad up into the early 80s.

Having said all that, I think if the truly great players from those days had been brought up in the modern context, with today's training and fitness techniques, knowledge of diets, personal coaching, equipment etc, they would still have been great.

I know this is all a bit hypothetical but context is everything.

Comparing players in the 60s to today's players is pretty pointless. The footballs were heavy and the pitches were terrible. In fact, pitches were pretty bad up into the early 80s.

Having said all that, I think if the truly great players from those days had been brought up in the modern context, with today's training and fitness techniques, knowledge of diets, personal coaching, equipment etc, they would still have been great.

I know this is all a bit hypothetical but context is everything.
I don't doubt it, that's why the really great ones back then were so special - look at Stanley Matthews for instance - and he played into his 50s

Remember how a lot of Spurs 'supporters' used to slag off 'Mr Tottenham'. I do

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2015...or-3m-is-outperforming-arsenals-per-mertesa/?

Interesting dontcha think? :dawsonmean:
Absolutely no-one slagged him off you jurassic drama queen. People (correctly) came to the conclusion that he was no longer good enough for our squad and you, being the massive pre-menstrual tart you are, got your knickers in a twist saying people ''slagged him off''.

Tit.

I said in the summer I just wish we'd have got rid of Kaboul and kept Dawson, of course he wouldnt be first choice but in terms of contribution he would have been better lets face it, couldn't have been worse, could have eased the Europa strain too

I wish nothing but the best for Daws, the guy always laid his heart on the line for us, and when playing alongside Ledders, played his part in a pretty formidable defensive partnership. He may not have been a worldie but his commitment was top drawer. Shame on those who put him down.

I said in the summer I just wish we'd have got rid of Kaboul and kept Dawson, of course he wouldnt be first choice but in terms of contribution he would have been better lets face it, couldn't have been worse, could have eased the Europa strain too

I wish nothing but the best for Daws, the guy always laid his heart on the line for us, and when playing alongside Ledders, played his part in a pretty formidable defensive partnership. He may not have been a worldie but his commitment was top drawer. Shame on those who put him down.
Sums the whole thing up for me perfectly.

Back
Top Bottom