Michael Dawson

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Isn't it sad that some people can't stop finding a final condemnatory comment about the guy? Its as if they feel vindicated that he's been transferred away.
Loved the guys attitude, loved his passion and his commitment was an inspiration to team mates and fans alike.
We need to find another like him, to keep the Mckay, Roberts, Mabbut, King and Dawson spirit alive at the club.
That's Mackay to you sonny...

mackaydave2.jpg

Good luck Daws. Hull is lucky to have you.

If your skill matched your spirit and loyalty, you'd be world class.

But then Levy would have cashed you in.:levywhoa:

And that straight red against Fulham a few years ago, fifteen minutes in...that made me fucking crazy.

Just had to get that off my chest.:kaboul:

Ok, good luck! Show them how it's done at Hull, and I'm sure your welcome will be warm when you return to WHL.

Last edited:
One of the best sports photographs of all time. People forget that Bremner had a reputation as a hard man as well.
Dave Mackay one of the hardest blokes ever to put on a Spurs shirt. Him, White and Gilzean three of the best footballers ever to have been exported from Scotland to Spurs.

And what if I did mate : whats it got to do with you?
Do you dispute my post?
I was under the impression that you were younger than me, and at 56 I never saw him play for Spurs. I saw him play for Derby, but lived abroad for the last years of his time at Tottenham.
I have only ever seen John White play in old black and white copies of early cup finals.

Dave Mackay one of the hardest blokes ever to put on a Spurs shirt. Him, White and Gilzean three of the best footballers ever to have been exported from Scotland to Spurs.

Don't forget Allen Hutton, mate.

I was under the impression that you were younger than me, and at 56 I never saw him play for Spurs. I saw him play for Derby, but lived abroad for the last years of his time at Tottenham.
I have only ever seen John White play in old black and white copies of early cup finals.
My late grandad and great grandad life long Spurs supporters stated that White was the best player they had seen in that position, saw Gilzean and Mackay play as a young kid (sometimes on me Dads shoulders) at the 'Lane' when people could stand and watch the football.

My late grandad and great grandad life long Spurs supporters stated that White was the best player they had seen in that position, saw Gilzean and Mackay play as a young kid (sometimes on me Dads shoulders) at the 'Lane' when people could stand and watch the football.
Really?
Whilst Mackay was a tough man, he was never a "hard man" (Harris, Hunter et al) or a dirty player (Bremner) and he himself is offended at the suggestion. Gilzean was popular because he was there for 10 years, but he wasn't much more than a foil for the charismatic Greaves and Chivers. White looked good in an era of pretty awful players though, watch the 62 cup final if you want proof of the lie that football was good back in the days we won the double. Tragic way to lose your life though.

Really?
Whilst Mackay was a tough man, he was never a "hard man" (Harris, Hunter et al) or a dirty player (Bremner) and he himself is offended at the suggestion. Gilzean was popular because he was there for 10 years, but he wasn't much more than a foil for the charismatic Greaves and Chivers. White looked good in an era of pretty awful players though, watch the 62 cup final if you want proof of the lie that football was good back in the days we won the double. Tragic way to lose your life though.

You obviously think you know more that the players that played against Mackay!
George Best (1946–2005), of Manchester United, one of Tottenham's fiercest rivals in the 1960s, described Mackay as "the hardest man I have ever played against – and certainly the bravest".[2]

Its also interesting that your statement tends to downplay the acknowledged brilliance of White, a Scottish international.
Spurs had come unstuck against Benfica in the 1962 European Cup semi-final but the next season White was part of the successful campaign that saw Tottenham become the first English winners of a European trophy when they defeated Atlético Madrid by five goals to one in Rotterdam to lift the European Cup Winners Cup, with White scoring one of the five goals himself. Cliff Jones, his Tottenham teammate, said of him: “He was a great talent. People ask me what he was like. I say that he was like Glenn Hoddle. But he was different to Glenn in some ways. Glenn was someone who you had to bring into a game, whereas John White would bring himself into a game. If you’re not in possession, get in position, that was John White. He was always available if you needed to pass to someone”.

You need to perhaps revise your opinion of Gilzean and research some of the quotes from former Spurs greats have given him. if you had seen him you would know he was a brilliant header of the ball and a lot more that a foil to others.

Gilzean enjoyed a glittering career as a Tottenham player, quickly changing his style of play from a prolific striker to an intelligent and creative forward, forming a famed partnership alongside crowd favourite Jimmy Greaves. A member of the 1967 FA Cup winning team, Gilzean continued to be a regular first-team player despite the arrival of Martin Chivers in early 1968 from Southampton.

You obviously think you know more that the players that played against Mackay!
George Best (1946–2005), of Manchester United, one of Tottenham's fiercest rivals in the 1960s, described Mackay as "the hardest man I have ever played against – and certainly the bravest".[2]

Its also interesting that your statement tends to downplay the acknowledged brilliance of White, a Scottish international.
Spurs had come unstuck against Benfica in the 1962 European Cup semi-final but the next season White was part of the successful campaign that saw Tottenham become the first English winners of a European trophy when they defeated Atlético Madrid by five goals to one in Rotterdam to lift the European Cup Winners Cup, with White scoring one of the five goals himself. Cliff Jones, his Tottenham teammate, said of him: “He was a great talent. People ask me what he was like. I say that he was like Glenn Hoddle. But he was different to Glenn in some ways. Glenn was someone who you had to bring into a game, whereas John White would bring himself into a game. If you’re not in possession, get in position, that was John White. He was always available if you needed to pass to someone”.

You need to perhaps revise your opinion of Gilzean and research some of the quotes from former Spurs greats have given him. if you had seen him you would know he was a brilliant header of the ball and a lot more that a foil to others.

Gilzean enjoyed a glittering career as a Tottenham player, quickly changing his style of play from a prolific striker to an intelligent and creative forward, forming a famed partnership alongside crowd favourite Jimmy Greaves. A member of the 1967 FA Cup winning team, Gilzean continued to be a regular first-team player despite the arrival of Martin Chivers in early 1968 from Southampton.
yeah
you have been bullshitting about your knowledge, but in reality its just about what you have read elsewhere.
I only express opinions of players I have seen playing and have a valid memory of, and that goes back to starting to actually watch them play from around 69, so I did actually see Gilzean play for spurs and remember him with the same affection as anyone else who was a supporter back then.
Unlike you I don't have to trawl the internet for those memories.
The Spurs team of the 60s may have been "greats" of their day, but the reality is that their ball control,skills and fitness were abysmal in comparison with todays players, and sufficient (video) evidence still exists to demonstrate the gulf between the generations. White by all accounts was a class above his peers, as were Blanchflower, Brown, Smith and Jones, the reality being that none of them had demonstrable skills that would get them looked at twice nowadays. Greaves apart, IMV - he quite clearly was a man above and beyond the skill levels of his day, as were the likes of Best, Charlton and probably half a dozen others who possessed genuine talents that set them apart.

yeah
you have been bullshitting about your knowledge, but in reality its just about what you have read elsewhere.
I only express opinions of players I have seen playing and have a valid memory of, and that goes back to starting to actually watch them play from around 69, so I did actually see Gilzean play for spurs and remember him with the same affection as anyone else who was a supporter back then.
Unlike you I don't have to trawl the internet for those memories.
The Spurs team of the 60s may have been "greats" of their day, but the reality is that their ball control,skills and fitness were abysmal in comparison with todays players, and sufficient (video) evidence still exists to demonstrate the gulf between the generations. White by all accounts was a class above his peers, as were Blanchflower, Brown, Smith and Jones, the reality being that none of them had demonstrable skills that would get them looked at twice nowadays. Greaves apart, IMV - he quite clearly was a man above and beyond the skill levels of his day, as were the likes of Best, Charlton and probably half a dozen others who possessed genuine talents that set them apart.
No I actually saw two of them players play at WHL Mick and my quoted post about Mackay from George Best was to highlight that he was a hard man on the pitch contrary to what you say. Maybe you know better than George Best Mick , play against Mackay did you! In your National Service days or in your dreams. Your the one who is a bullshitter mate.
And as you would know you cannot make any credible comparison with today's players and nor should you. But then you Mick are just out to troll people.

Back
Top Bottom