Louis Van Gaal

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

10588744_10152443020551026_552932862_n.jpg

The more I see or read from van Gaal the more I think he is an arrogant tool and we really got away with one.

He is pouring excuses already after just three games. Suggesting it takes time to adjust to a system is one thing but the players haven't seemed to adapt to anything.

Van Gaal has rarely had success in his first season at any club - quite the opposite in some cases. He uses the first season to implement his tactics, dig out the players who 'arent getting it' and bring through young players with potential.

If he's given the time, then I fully expect Man Utd to have a pretty poor season followed by a tilt at the title next year.

Anyone writing him off, or boldly claiming we have 'dodged a bullet' at this stage is pretty much ignoring his entire managerial career to date.

Van Gaal got off to a poor start as Bayern coach, winning only one of his first four matches in charge, and by November the club was on the brink of a first-round Champions League exit following two losses to Bordeaux. With Bayer Leverkusen at the top of the Bundesliga, speculation was rampant that Van Gaal was on the brink of a departure from Bayern even earlier than his predecessor Jürgen Klinsmann. Van Gaal, however, kept insisting he is a prozesstrainer meaning that his team needs time to play the way he imagines.

Van Gaal installed many youth players as fixtures in the starting 11, including Thomas Müller and Holger Badstuber, and also converted the winger Bastian Schweinsteiger into a defensive midfielder. A feud with Italian striker Luca Toni, who had played an important role in Bayern's 2007–08 league and cup double, led to Toni's move to Roma. However, Bayern Munich's form improved with two Champions League victories including an impressive 4–1 victory over Juventus in Turin, which allowed them to progress from their group in second position behind Bordeaux. By March, Bayern had moved to the semi-finals of the DFB-Pokal and were top of the Bundesliga ahead of Leverkusen.

On 8 May 2010, FC Bayern were crowned Bundesliga champions following a 3–1 win at Hertha BSC, making Van Gaal the first ever Dutch coach to win the Bundesliga.5 May 2010, Bayern won the DFB-Pokal with a 4–0 defeat of SV Werder Bremen, thus securing the domestic double.

Van Gaal has rarely had success in his first season at any club - quite the opposite in some cases. He uses the first season to implement his tactics, dig out the players who 'arent getting it' and bring through young players with potential.

If he's given the time, then I fully expect Man Utd to have a pretty poor season followed by a tilt at the title next year.

Anyone writing him off, or boldly claiming we have 'dodged a bullet' at this stage is pretty much ignoring his entire managerial career to date.

If they are prepared to write a season off whilst spending large amounts of cash rebuilding, why wasn't Moyes allowed the same luxury then?

There is no disputing that the man has had success elsewhere but this doesn't guarantee success everywhere. The Premier League is also a bit of a different animal.

On top of that, let's say he is successful next season, by which point United would have spent silly money buying players to achieve this; how much is then down to him and his tactical prowess or how much was bought?

That's the issue, he is brilliant and has had a great career but his methods take time and quite frankly United's backline line is dumber than Lindsey Lohan. He needs a new backline and time (at least two seasons) but I doubt the Glazer will give him that.

Problem is that now United have got one of the World's greatest ever manager (by record) if they fire him for not bringing short term success what idiot is going to take the job afterwards, United could become a graveyard of managers if they are not careful.

If they are prepared to write a season off whilst spending large amounts of cash rebuilding, why wasn't Moyes allowed to same luxury then?

Because Moyes didn't have back to back titles wins, title wins in 3 major European leagues (including an unbeaten season at Ajax), CL wins, relative success at the World Cup and league wins with unfashionable clubs like AZ Alkmaar to his name.

Managerial honours

Ajax

Eredivisie: 1993–94, 1994–95, 1995–96
KNVB Cup: 1992–93
Johan Cruijff Shield: 1993, 1994, 1995
UEFA Champions League: 1994–95; Runner-up 1995–96
UEFA Cup: 1991–92
UEFA Super Cup: 1995
Intercontinental Cup: 1995

Barcelona

La Liga: 1997–98, 1998–99
Copa del Rey: 1997–98
UEFA Super Cup: 1997

AZ

Eredivisie: 2008–09

Bayern Munich

Bundesliga: 2009–10
DFB-Pokal: 2009–10
DFB-Supercup: 2010
UEFA Champions League runner-up: 2009–10

International

Netherlands

FIFA World Cup third place: 2014

Awards and achievements

World Soccer Manager of the Year: 1995
Onze d'Or Coach of the Year: 1995
Rinus Michels Award: 2007, 2009
Dutch Sports Coach of the Year: 2009
Die Sprachwahrer des Jahres (3rd place): 2009
German Football Manager of the Year: 2010

No but there comes a point where outmoded thinking and a reliance on methods that have worked in the past, will catch up with anyone. It also appears he has been slow to influence the players he has in comparison to Poch, who has implemented his ideas very quickly. Personally I hope they struggle for a long time.

His comments about retirement before the WC should be taken into account as well - is he up to the task of rebuilding Utd?

No but there comes a point where outmoded thinking and a reliance on methods that have worked in the past, will catch up with anyone.

Didn't seem massively outmoded when he took the Dutch team to the WC Semi's (losing on pens) about a month ago, thumping Spain on the way. As for Poch, god knows I hope he's a great manager... but suggesting he might be better than Van Gaal because of Utd's terrible start and our glorious win against QPR (following iffy games against West Ham and Limassol) is a bit of a stretch.

Didn't seem massively outmoded when he took the Dutch team to the WC Semi's (losing on pens) about a month ago, thumping Spain on the way. As for Poch, god knows I hope he's a great manager... but suggesting he might be better than Van Gaal because of Utd's terrible start and our glorious win against QPR (following iffy games against West Ham and Limassol) is a bit of a stretch.
I'm not suggesting Poch might have as glittering career as LvG (although I hope he does) but my point still stands - he has had a quicker start in getting his ideas across. LvG has yet to state how he wants Utd to play.

I thought he did look outmoded at the WC, went downhill after the first game, and his team didn't score for the last 4 hours of the tournament proper, only reaching the semi-final on penalties. The 3-5-2 looked as unproductive there as it does so far in England. The guy has had a fantastic career, and of course, as you say, it's ridiculously early to tell, but I just have a feeling that this might be a job too far.

Anyway we can agree to disagree.

Back
Top Bottom