Louis Van Gaal

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Meh, you guys are sounding a little daft. Van Gaal has always been a cunt. Would have gladly taken him though, just as I'm happy with Pooch.

Life isn't about being liked; it's about being effective.

Meh, you guys are sounding a little daft. Van Gaal has always been a cunt. Would have gladly taken him though, just as I'm happy with Pooch.

But if you want to be effective, it helps to be liked. He's behaving pretty much as people predicted. He hasn't stopped moaning since he got there. Yesterday's man in my opinion.

Last edited:

Your missing the point somewhat.
Not doubting his ability, just his outbursts at this early stage! Hardly team building ethos. Not only is he alienating his squad, but also the clubs decision makers/owners. Ultimately this will not endear him to the fans, and bar the last twelve months they have been ridiculously spoiled with success. Transfer that attitude to our proud club and our fans legendary patience, :adelol:and you have a recipe for disaster, something that we can ill afford at this point. This is what I meant by bullet avoided. This club does not need a personality of Van Gaals ilk.
Ie; Big excuse finding Cunt who will look to blame everyone around him rather than take the criticism himself. He hasn't even got the excuse of having half a dozen games under his belt before pointing the finger. I have a really good feeling that this will be another poor appointment by UTD.

Your missing the point somewhat.
Not doubting his ability, just his outbursts at this early stage! Hardly team building ethos. Not only is he alienating his squad, but also the clubs decision makers/owners. Ultimately this will not endear him to the fans, and bar the last twelve months they have been ridiculously spoiled with success. Transfer that attitude to our proud club and our fans legendary patience, :adelol:and you have a recipe for disaster, something that we can ill afford at this point. This is what I meant by bullet avoided. This club does not need a personality of Van Gaals ilk.
Ie; Big excuse finding Cunt who will look to blame everyone around him rather than take the criticism himself. He hasn't even got the excuse of having half a dozen games under his belt before pointing the finger. I have a really good feeling that this will be another poor appointment by UTD.
Oh no, I got the point.

Van Gaal is very far from the first manager with an excess of personality.

Oh no, I got the point.

Van Gaal is very far from the first manager with an excess of personality.
That is agreed, just looks like he is trying to set records in the "How to make friends and influence people" stakes. You can have personality and not make yourself look like a Dick in the process.

But if you want to be effective, it helps to be liked. He's behaving pretty much as people predicted. He hasn't stopped moaning since he's got there. Yesterday's man in my opinion.
This is a manager who has just got The Netherlands to the semi-finals of the World Cup with a squad full of inexperience, and some of the worst defenders among the big teams. He is still very much relevant. His relationship with Robin van Persie tells me that straight off the bat.

van Gaal is being van Gaal. He did it at Barcelona and he'll do it pretty much anywhere he goes and still be successful.

This is a manager who has just got The Netherlands to the semi-finals of the World Cup with a squad full of inexperience, and some of the worst defenders among the big teams. He is still very much relevant. His relationship with Robin van Persie tells me that straight off the bat.

van Gaal is being van Gaal. He did it at Barcelona and he'll do it pretty much anywhere he goes and still be successful.
I would have thought Brazil had the worst defenders of the 'big teams' and they got to the semi-finals. I don't see anyone making that claim for Scolari. Don't make excuses for the Netherlands' inexperience to boost Van Gaal's profile - he picked the squad after qualifying with 9 wins and a draw. We have a difference of opinion, that's all.

I would have thought Brazil had the worst defenders of the 'big teams' and they got to the semi-finals. I don't see anyone making that claim for Scolari. Don't make excuses for the Netherlands' inexperience to boost Van Gaal's profile - he picked the squad after qualifying with 9 wins and a draw. We have a difference of opinion, that's all.
Brazil had a much higher calibre of defender than Holland, but their hot-headed nature got the best of them (that pre-match anthem was their downfall - far too pumped up for the game). van Gaal knew his defence was weak, so he decided to cover it up by playing three centre-backs.

I'm not making excuses at all. van Gaal made them perform close to their potential throughout qualifying and during the tournament. And they were inexperienced, it was a very young squad! They had a very good tournament, and most of it was down to the tactics of van Gaal in allowing his most creative players to flourish, while covering up his weaknesses; something that every manager should strive for.

Brazil had a much higher calibre of defender than Holland, but their hot-headed nature got the best of them (that pre-match anthem was their downfall - far too pumped up for the game). van Gaal knew his defence was weak, so he decided to cover it up by playing three centre-backs.

I'm not making excuses at all. They had a very good tournament, and most of it was down to the tactics of van Gaal in allowing his most creative players to flourish, while covering up his weaknesses; something that every manager should strive for.
I didn't see too much creativity in the goalless 240 minutes before their exit. They went downhill from the first game, and were struggling at the end. I fail to see why he should be praised for that. It will be interesting to see how he does at Utd, but the tactic of saying everything is a mess, and what a big job he has in putting things right, sounds like a man getting his excuses in early, and people won't buy that. We'll see.

I'm not making excuses at all. van Gaal made them perform close to their potential throughout qualifying and during the tournament. And they were inexperienced, it was a very young squad! They had a very good tournament, and most of it was down to the tactics of van Gaal in allowing his most creative players to flourish, while covering up his weaknesses; something that every manager should strive for.

Agreed man for man the holland team was about England or Italy's level in terms of players ( robben excepted) but the way holland approached the game was fantastic, as you say covered up the significant defensive weaknesses while letting the attackers launch forward.

And that is the difference between Roy and van gaal. Man united might be a strong force this season now they have a great manager and not moyes running the team.

I didn't see too much creativity in the goalless 240 minutes before their exit. They went downhill from the first game, and were struggling at the end. I fail to see why he should be praised for that. It will be interesting to see how he does at Utd, but the tactic of saying everything is a mess, and what a big job he has in putting things right, sounds like a man getting his excuses in early, and people won't buy that. We'll see.
Yeah they did go downhill towards the end, agree with that (Argentina and Costa Rica have to get some 'credit' for their tactics in those games though)! Although I think their switch to 3-5-2 will be very interesting to see. United haven't got many decent centre-backs anymore (just like Holland), so will be covering that up by playing an extra one. Two striker up front will get the best out of Rooney, so I would expect him to score at least 20 goals this year. It could be a masterstroke if it works as well as it did for the Dutch did at the World Cup

age has treated him well

moyes-panini-e1382779047131.jpg

Back
Top Bottom