Louis Van Gaal

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Hmmmm, that is an interesting point, can anyone think of any other clubs worldwide that have to put up with as much shit as us?

The problem with us is we don't realise how good we've got it, the amount of clubs that would love to be in our position; strong financially, good young squad, a new stadium in the works etc

Last edited:
I'll take a short term appointment that works over a speculative long term one.

What is a long term manager anymore even? Pardew, Allardyce, Rodgers and Hughton are 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th longest tenured managers in the league currently.

If AVB had earned top 4 with us this season he probably would have been off to Barca or something. He almost left for PSG this summer as is. The mythical long term appointment doesn't exist in the same way it used to. Give me someone who can win and get us playing good football. I don't give a fuck if they are 95 years old. One good managerial appointment will begat another because it will mean the club is in a better spot and more attractive.

What is a long term manager anymore even? Pardew, Allardyce, Rodgers and Hughton are 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th longest tenured managers in the league currently.

If AVB had earned top 4 with us this season he probably would have been off to Barca or something. He almost left for PSG this summer as is. The mythical long term appointment doesn't exist in the same way it used to. Give me someone who can win and get us playing good football. I don't give a fuck if they are 95 years old. One good managerial appointment will begat another because it will mean the club is in a better spot and more attractive.
Great point, I never thought of it like that, I'm part new age that wants a young tactical manager ala rodgers and martinez, however they come with risks of failure. As u were saying having an experienced short term manager might elevate the club to higher levels leaving us in a good position to find our long term manager.

Lvg would elevate not only on the pitch but we would have a manager strong enough to participate in the mind games of the other top teams, and also be intimidating. Only problem I have is whether levy and co will give Lvg a decent budget to build a quality team and I'm not talking about 20 million he will probably want a bunch other players so we will have to commit to him and believe.

Great point, I never thought of it like that, I'm part new age that wants a young tactical manager ala rodgers and martinez, however they come with risks of failure. As u were saying having an experienced short term manager might elevate the club to higher levels leaving us in a good position to find our long term manager.

Lvg would elevate not only on the pitch but we would have a manager strong enough to participate in the mind games of the other top teams, and also be intimidating. Only problem I have is whether levy and co will give Lvg a decent budget to build a quality team and I'm not talking about 20 million he will probably want a bunch other players so we will have to commit to him and believe.

I mean in a hypothetical world where all we knew all things would be even I'd rather have a younger manager just on the off chance they'd stick around.

My view is just we want whoever is most likely to come in and win right now and take us out of the doldrums. We shouldn't be planning for the future, we've done that enough. It's time to try to win now.

So for me if we're choosing between LVG or Pochettino, I'd rather go with Van Gaal and his track record rather than MP's youth. Not to say MP couldn't win but I think you'd say with his track record that LVG is more likely to succeed. That's what we need. Get whatever coach you think is most likely to win soon and a lot. Other considerations shouldn't be important.

The problem with us is wee don't realise how good we've got it, the amount of clubs that would love to be in our position; strong financially, good young squad, a new stadium in the works :)avbpray:) etc.
My point is the shit we have to put up with on an individual, personal level, we live in a city with Woolwich and Chelsea, we have to put up with them, if we could get one over Woolwich it would be sublime, all the other clubs listed have not had to face such a long period in the shadow, I guess Atletico and Espanyol would be in a similar position to ourselves, but then we add on all the other bollocks we have.

While I know financially, and in terms of the squad we're really good, it will be ecstasy when we finally finish above Woolwich regardless of what division we are in.

The chances are our next manager will only be with the club 18 months to two years. (Unfortunately)
LVG is a lot more suited to achieving in that time that MP if you had to make a choice now.

Latest bullshit rumour that the Dutch captain (RvP) suggesting to LvG that there will be another vacancy in the Premier League and to wait before committing to Spurs.

I still can't see why they'd fire Moyes this summer. Just makes no sense if he hasn't had a full summer of backing. Fellaini is his biggest strike against it as of yet, but I just can't see them seeming that enough to fire someone and move for another older manager. Their need is to build, ours is for someone to steady the ship. Exactly why LvG makes sense for us, and not them.

You jinxed the poor man!
:adegrin:

Every appointment is speculative. Van Gaal would still be a gamble. He has the potential to let his reputation come before his knowledge and could lose the dressing room very easily. The bloke can be a complete nutcase at times, and as I've already pointed out, his track record over the last decade is not as impressive as some would make you believe. He has a history of fall-outs, and if there is any club he will do that at, it's ours.

AVB would have never been Barca coach just because he got Tottenham Hotspur to 4th place. His brand of football would not have been allowed at that club, and he would not be given time to grow into the roll, he'd need to hit the ground running.
I also don't believe he was close to joining PSG. That was mere speculation in the papers if I recall. Typical summer transfer window stuff.

Interesting point at the end you make - "give us someone who can win...it will mean the club is in a better spot and more attractive". Harry delivered on both these fronts, yet we have gone backwards since his departure. He left us in a good position, with a good reputation after our run in the Champions League. Since then we've been Europa League regulars and still haven't got close to winning that.

Every appointment is speculative. Van Gaal would still be a gamble. He has the potential to let his reputation come before his knowledge and could lose the dressing room very easily. The bloke can be a complete nutcase at times, and as I've already pointed out, his track record over the last decade is not as impressive as some would make you believe. He has a history of fall-outs, and if there is any club he will do that at, it's ours.

AVB would have never been Barca coach just because he got Tottenham Hotspur to 4th place. His brand of football would not have been allowed at that club, and he would not be given time to grow into the roll, he'd need to hit the ground running.
I also don't believe he was close to joining PSG. That was mere speculation in the papers if I recall. Typical summer transfer window stuff.

Interesting point at the end you make - "give us someone who can win...it will mean the club is in a better spot and more attractive". Harry delivered on both these fronts, yet we have gone backwards since his departure. He left us in a good position, with a good reputation after our run in the Champions League. Since then we've been Europa League regulars and still haven't got close to winning that.

Louis Van Gaal is one of the best managers in football history, his methods are still used at Barca, Bayern Munich and Ajax and from Pep to De Boer many managers have become what they have because of him. Given three years control of the club (including final say on transfers) he could really whip our players into shape given time and leave a legacy like that he left at many of his previous clubs. Problem is Levy will not cede either the control or the time span needed for this to happen. Can you imagine how Spurs will looking sacking one of the all time greats after say 18 months, we will be the joke of the century, Van Gaal is a Ferguson type character and will rather walk than accept Levy's bullshit, this is the issue I forsee.

If Tim is off my heart wants Van Gaal, a brilliant manager but my head says go for Van Gaal-lite in De Boer, same style but less abrasive and younger although probably not as good.

Louis Van Gaal is one of the best managers in football history, his methods are still used at Barca, Bayern Munich and Ajax and from Pep to De Boer many managers have become what they have because of him. Given three years control of the club (including final say on transfers) he could really whip our players into shape given time and leave a legacy like that he left at many of his previous clubs. Problem is Levy will not cede either the control or the time span needed for this to happen. Can you imagine how Spurs will looking sacking one of the all time greats after say 18 months, we will be the joke of the century, Van Gaal is a Ferguson type character and will rather walk than accept Levy's bullshit, this is the issue I forsee.

If Tim is off my heart wants Van Gaal, a brilliant manager but my head says go for Van Gaal-lite in De Boer, same style but less abrasive and younger although probably not as good.

Maybe it's just what Levy needs

Van-Gaal-580x407.png

Back
Top Bottom