Louis Van Gaal

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yer, I think they'd be jumping too soon if they sacked him this summer, he should at least be given this window and up to October/November to turn it around.

LvG still my first choice, miles ahead of Pochettino/Laudrup imo.

Agreed

And if they did sack Moyes, which as I said won't happen, they won't go for a 62 year old who may only manage for 3 or so years. They'll go for a De Boer, Simeone, Klopp or Conte style appointment with long term in mind.

I want it to be LVG, normally after hearing such news, I'd think, well fuck off then you sweaty bollock tomato faced cunt with a barnet that looks like a syrup double cunt.
But in this case, I think it worth the lack of commitment in the immediate future, because if he did come, I think he'd give it 110%, even if it wasn't his original 1st choice.

So supposedly LvG is as fussed about continuing to manage as he is to retire, and now he's holding out for Utd...

I dont think Spurs is the job he's looking for. If there's one club he will just walk out on due to bullshit and broken promises, its this one.

So supposedly LvG is as fussed about continuing to manage as he is to retire, and now he's holding out for Utd...

I dont think Spurs is the job he's looking for. If there's one club he will just walk out on due to bullshit and broken promises, its this one.
Hmmmm, that is an interesting point, can anyone think of any other clubs worldwide that have to put up with as much shit as us?

I've said from the start I don't want him, and the more he mentions his nice retirement villa in Portugal the less I like him.

Even if he had one successful season, maybe got 4th, maybe wins the League Cup, he will fuck off and we will be left scrabbling around for another manager.

I'm like a fucking broken record but I'd like to see an appointment with a long term vision (like AVB), but someone the board actually back and let them get on with the job.

Fuck me, who would have predicted the turn around at Liverpool under Rodgers? And there is no doubt that is based on not just management, not just ownership, but both working harmoniously together.

Hmmmm, that is an interesting point, can anyone think of any other clubs worldwide that have to put up with as much shit as us?
The fans of most clubs will think they have it hard. Woolwich, Utd, Villa, Sunderland, Newcastle - all of them will have reason to moan. And personally, I think most have more reasons than us.

We're just a bunch of moany cunts that are never satisfied, to be honest.

I'm like a fucking broken record but I'd like to see an appointment with a long term vision (like AVB), but someone the board actually back and let them get on with the job.

Maybe we need a good short term appointment to put us in the right direction again before we go for a long term one? Consider this HYPOTHETICAL scenario:

We know that Ledley is going for his coaching badges so what if Van Gaal comes in and Ledley learns from one of the best club managers around? Then when he is ready to retire, Ledley can take over properly. How good would that be?

I've said from the start I don't want him, and the more he mentions his nice retirement villa in Portugal the less I like him.

Even if he had one successful season, maybe got 4th, maybe wins the League Cup, he will fuck off and we will be left scrabbling around for another manager.

Fuck me, who would have predicted the turn around at Liverpool under Rodgers? And there is no doubt that is based on not just management, not just ownership, but both working harmoniously together.

Generally only our shit managers win League Cups.

I'd take David Brent for a season provided he gives us one season of 4th and a League cup, mind.

I do get amused at this "board interference" myth though, there's no evidence that any of the problems we've had are any more than down to the managers themselves.

From a football point of view, Berbatov & Keane left because Ramos finished the season in 11th despite their efforts, Modric & Bale left because we didn't get CL football and were being carried by them. Add in the stature of the purchasing teams at the time and the fees and I don't see transfers being an issue.
Contractually, all the managers who were sacked force the board (through various circumstances) into a decision.

Think about the money the board let our managers or DoF's (Comolli & Baldini) spent on players and it's eye watering.

I mean where is our board inteference? It's melodramatic fans that invent scenarios that, for me, don't exist and damage the rep of the club.

If Moyes gets sacked, Man Utd will be more of a laughing stock than we were with any of our managers. I don't see that they're much different in terms of that, if Moyes is sacked - he's still in the mix for Europe and in the QF of the Champions League going in to the away leg 1-1 against the best team in Europe and the best manager in Europe (both arguably).

Additionally, Rodgers is just lucky to have Suarez. If Suarez leaves, we'll then see what the man is made of. Only in his second season, and if you think they don't have problems and have manager-board harmony, go onto RAWK and type in "Ian Ayre"

The fans of most clubs will think they have it hard. Woolwich, Utd, Villa, Sunderland, Newcastle - all of them will have reason to moan. And personally, I think most have more reasons than us.

We're just a bunch of moany cunts that are never satisfied, to be honest.
What makes us a special case, is we have had to bare witness to Woolwich be miles ahead of us, go a season undefeated (yes I know about the Pires dive).

Woolwich have a new stadium, haven't won a trophy in 8 (we haven't won one in 6)
United, they've bean one of the best teams in the world for decades.
Villa, at least they are the top club in the Black Country
Sunderland, big ass stadium, while being inferior to Newcastle, it is not comparable to the shit between us and Woolwich.
Newcastle are the better team on Tyneside, I wouldn't complain if we were the better team in North London.

We have had to put up with changing managers, two years on the trot missing out on CL by 1 pt to our most hate rivals. We've seen the scum of the Earth, Chelsea win the CL, we've seen our best players go (not through the fault of anyone at the club imo), we've had our legend and icon (the King) permanently injured for his career, forcing him to retire and has yet to be replaced. Our manager is shit, our ticket prices are expensive.

Just so you know, I'm not moaning, much. Merely stating that we have to put up with more shit than the other clubs.

What makes us a special case, is we have had to bare witness to Woolwich be miles ahead of us, go a season undefeated (yes I know about the Pires dive).

Woolwich have a new stadium, haven't won a trophy in 8 (we haven't won one in 6)
Sunderland, big ass stadium, while being inferior to Newcastle, it is not comparable to the shit between us and Woolwich.
Newcastle are the better team on Tyneside, I wouldn't complain if we were the better team in North London.

We have had to put up with changing managers, two years on the trot missing out on CL by 1 pt to our most hate rivals. We've seen the scum of the Earth, Chelsea win the CL, we've seen our best players go (not through the fault of anyone at the club imo), we've had our legend and icon (the King) permanently injured for his career, forcing him to retire and has yet to be replaced. Our manager is shit, our ticket prices are expensive.

Just so you know, I'm not moaning, much. Merely stating that we have to put up with more shit than the other clubs.

Whilst I agree with most of your points, I suspect Millbanks Millbanks was talking about the boards of those clubs and their managerial situations:

Newcastle - Mike Ashley sells and never spends (Pardew is a wenger wannabe - young, cheap n french players - when did they last sign a star?)
Woolwich & Utd - many season of success with stability in a manager over the last 20 years or so whilst Fergie was still in charge, but being outspent despite being the highest earners just because some yanks decided to make the club buy itself for them...? Woolwich have seen all their profit go into repaying for the stadium up until recently.
Villa & Sunderland have had interfering chairmen and mediocre managers whilst battling relegation nearly every season. One time Sunderland get a decent shot they hire a Nazi and let him replace the whole squad with a load of unknown italians, whilst Villa have to raid the back of the sofa for transfer funds every season.

Last edited:
I do get amused at this "board interference" myth though, there's no evidence that any of the problems we've had are any more than down to the managers themselves.

From a football point of view, Berbatov & Keane left because Ramos finished the season in 11th despite their efforts, Modric & Bale left because we didn't get CL football and were being carried by them. Add in the stature of the purchasing teams at the time and the fees and I don't see transfers being an issue.
Contractually, all the managers who were sacked force the board (through various circumstances) into a decision.

Think about the money the board let our managers or DoF's (Comolli & Baldini) spent on players and it's eye watering.

I mean where is our board inteference? It's melodramatic fans that invent scenarios that, for me, don't exist and damage the rep of the club.

Additionally, Rodgers is just lucky to have Suarez. If Suarez leaves, we'll then see what the man is made of. Only in his second season, and if you think they don't have problems and have manager-board harmony, go onto RAWK and type in "Ian Ayre"
Sorry I should have elaborated. And I didn't say 'interference' - I said the board should back the manager. I don't like to speculate on rumours, but the fallout from the AVB sacking did suggest that AVB wasn't entirely in control of the ins and outs at the club. And whilst I do think the DoF model can work, manager and DoF have to be reading off the same hymn sheet ad be doing what's best for the club, otherwise with no working relationship it'll never work.

Levy does not directly interfere per se, but by having the DoF model, he is possibly causing us more problems than he is solving. Some managers like to be in control and not be dictated to, or have to answer to someone.

Though I am a backer of Levy and ENIC in general, I have no doubt Levy has a hand in all transfers to some degree. When selling, this works fantastically for the club, particularly from a financial point of view, but I would hope the stories about stalling on Moutinho over a few grand are not true.

You could say AVB was lucky to have Bale, but it is unquestionable the team spirit Liverpool have and the contribution so many of them offer. You could say Ancelotti is lucky to have Ronaldo. But the team are still all contributing.

At least Villa are the best team in the black country?
Sunderland have a big ass stadium?
Newcastle are the better team on Tyneside?

We clearly have very different aspirations for Spurs. I would be delighted with 2nd place, even if we finished behind Woolwich or Chelsea. You sound like you'd happily finish 19th if Woolwich were 20th.

No thanks

Sorry I should have elaborated. And I didn't say 'interference' - I said the board should back the manager. I don't like to speculate on rumours, but the fallout from the AVB sacking did suggest that AVB wasn't entirely in control of the ins and outs at the club. And whilst I do think the DoF model can work, manager and DoF have to be reading off the same hymn sheet ad be doing what's best for the club, otherwise with no working relationship it'll never work.

Levy does not directly interfere per se, but by having the DoF model, he is possibly causing us more problems than he is solving. Some managers like to be in control and not be dictated to, or have to answer to someone.

Though I am a backer of Levy and ENIC in general, I have no doubt Levy has a hand in all transfers to some degree. When selling, this works fantastically for the club, particularly from a financial point of view, but I would hope the stories about stalling on Moutinho over a few grand are not true.

You could say AVB was lucky to have Bale, but it is unquestionable the team spirit Liverpool have and the contribution so many of them offer. You could say Ancelotti is lucky to have Ronaldo. But the team are still all contributing.

At least Villa are the best team in the black country?
Sunderland have a big ass stadium?
Newcastle are the better team on Tyneside?

We clearly have very different aspirations for Spurs. I would be delighted with 2nd place, even if we finished behind Woolwich or Chelsea. You sound like you'd happily finish 19th if Woolwich were 20th.

No thanks

Whilst I know you didn't say interference, it was inferred from the 'let them get on with the job'. People say one or the other a lot when it's a myth.

As for AVB, no he didn't have full control of in's and out's. Why? He didn't want to.

AVB asked Levy for a Director of Football at the end of last season. He got it. He specifically asked for Baldini. He got him. I call that backing the manager, personally.

A lot of people on the board sing the same song about Levy getting involved and not supporting managers, but there's very little to prove that and an awful lot to show he supports them.

You won't find a single manager in the league who negotiates transfers, Levy is very good at what he does and I think he gets more shit than the praise he deserves in that department.

Back
Top Bottom