Louis Van Gaal

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

to be honest, i think there is a reason timmy got an 18 moth contract. soon as he spouted that he didnt just want a 6 month caretaker gig, Levy figured 18 was the least he would get away with offering. I think Levy has done his deal with Sherwood's replacement, and nothing is being announced till an agreed time.

I was going to say hopefully United gets an easy quarterfinal as they probably couldn't fire Moyes after a CL semi but everyone left is quality. Probably hope for Dortmund considering they are so injured. United will probably get dicked by everyone.

I was going to say hopefully United gets an easy quarterfinal as they probably couldn't fire Moyes after a CL semi but everyone left is quality. Probably hope for Dortmund considering they are so injured. United will probably get dicked by everyone.

Yeah the remaining pool aside from Man U is very strong this year. I'm hoping their board sees their team in the context of the remaining teams and decides it's an impressive feat in deciding Moyes' immediate fate.

Yeah the remaining pool aside from Man U is very strong this year. I'm hoping their board sees their team in the context of the remaining teams and decides it's an impressive feat in deciding Moyes' immediate fate.

To be fair, in the last 10 season before this one, SAF only led United to the QF stage or beyond on just 5 occasions. Of the other 5, 3 of them getting knocked out at R16 and 2 of them failing to get past the group stage. Fergie made up for this with 3 finals, one of them a win.

Either way, it's not a bad season from the CL point of view.

Fergie was also immensely lucky that Robin van Injurie didn't spent last season on the physio table, as they would have technically been worse than Moyes's Utd without him

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...in-Van-Persie-Liverpool-19th-Luis-Suarez.html

(I hope Utd's board read this)

Not sure about better players, hardly any would get in our team and we have been rough recently, they need to spend about 200 million replacing their old or average players but I get your point, their history and stadium size (profits) mean they can attract/sign the top players.

Thier main issue is the Galzer's debt bomb, about a billion including interest has/will be paid to cover so most of their profits have gone on that, bad news is that when the debt is finally paid off Man United can spend their profits on players. The Glazers have changed English football, without them and their debt Manure would have been making so much money the past few season that they could have easily matched Man City on spending. That means Fergie would have had money to spend and not had to cut corners and use old/average players. Fergie pulled off a remarkable title last season with such an average team but that team has pretty much come to the end of its life.

They do have some average ones, but they also have Rooney, Mata and Van Persie, who are all amazing. Hopefully the win tonight kept Moyse his job.

I'm cool with using words that've been in the English language for over a century.
ybZVTeR.png
But it is considered correct to ignore all terminologies over a certain age and only make use of word in it's more recent historical context...David Baddiel told me that.

If anyone wants a mainstream comparison for the type of football that LVG would employ, look no further than Barcelona.
With total football, the defining aspects are dominating possession, high pressing defensively, high line, positional interchange, and general creative attacking football. This is what Cruyff and Michels instilled into Barcelona during their time there. People forget that before the arrival of the Dutch influence that the Spanish were very much known for their negative football.

:avbfacepalm:

:adelol:

What we need is what Liverpool have done; put minimal expectation on a manager (pity that there are few of Rodgers caliber and age floating around - and that we dropped a knacker in not getting him). Liverpool have spent money, unquestionably some of it has been wasted but just look at Henderson, and to ever improving degrees Joe Allen; both were ridiculed last season, and Allen up until the new year but both are very young, and required time to adjust to a number of things, namely playing for Sunderland or Swansea to playing for Liverpool - and big transfer fees....well now those signings have been coached significantly well enough to be playing key roles in a team challenging for the title.

My point being that players who have failed to meet expectation aren't for the scrap heap - they need a little more time, and to be coached with an ultimate aim.

We sold Caulker and replaced him with Chiriches - seemed strange at the time and remains so. Thrust a youngster into the first team, then removed him, then thrust him back in again - we don't seem to be able to do things by engaging our brains.

Soldado scores a winner from open play, hasn't started a game since but Kane has!

I know AVB wasn't everyone's cup of tea but we were in a better position under him than we currently are. I agree it was time for him to go but only if we had a contingency plan that involved a manager with some degree of experience.

If that is van Gaal then great, he has an incredible CV - could well bring in one or two players by reputation alone but whatever he does, I would much prefer the board and those supporters who have the patience of a child who has just inhaled a packet of fizzy Haribo, to look at where we are, and where our competitors are, when they do, they'll realise that we have a very tough job, and that the ball was firmly dropped three years ago.

What we need is what Liverpool have done; put minimal expectation on a manager (pity that there are few of Rodgers caliber and age floating around - and that we dropped a knacker in not getting him). Liverpool have spent money, unquestionably some of it has been wasted but just look at Henderson, and to ever improving degrees Joe Allen; both were ridiculed last season, and Allen up until the new year but both are very young, and required time to adjust to a number of things, namely playing for Sunderland or Swansea to playing for Liverpool - and big transfer fees....well now those signings have been coached significantly well enough to be playing key roles in a team challenging for the title.

My point being that players who have failed to meet expectation aren't for the scrap heap - they need a little more time, and to be coached with an ultimate aim.

We sold Caulker and replaced him with Chiriches - seemed strange at the time and remains so. Thrust a youngster into the first team, then removed him, then thrust him back in again - we don't seem to be able to do things by engaging our brains.

Soldado scores a winner from open play, hasn't started a game since but Kane has!

I know AVB wasn't everyone's cup of tea but we were in a better position under him than we currently are. I agree it was time for him to go but only if we had a contingency plan that involved a manager with some degree of experience.

If that is van Gaal then great, he has an incredible CV - could well bring in one or two players by reputation alone but whatever he does, I would much prefer the board and those supporters who have the patience of a child who has just inhaled a packet of fizzy Haribo, to look at where we are, and where our competitors are, when they do, they'll realise that we have a very tough job, and that the ball was firmly dropped three years ago.

Well said sir...well said.

I think the point you raised above is specifically baffling. The lads confidence must be battered again.

Absence makes the heart grow fonder.
I liked Caulker, but cant say I was at all bothered we sold him

I was surprised as he had potential, but £8m wasn't a bad deal considering he was hardly a model pro.

I think there has to be sacrifices made, Fergie style, to weed out the troublemakers in a club tbh

Wasnt it up to £10m? For a reserve out of the academy thats massive money, and we replaced him with a quality international for less. I never had a problem with the deal.
Caulker himself? I thought he was "ok". Not bad, not remarkable.
I do find the recent desire to see him return as some sort of saviour a bit odd to be honest

I don't think this is strange, it's been discussed an awful lot

Chirches has been top for us when he has played, too bad he is injured, would have been nice to have kept Caulker as well considering the situation with Dawson, Verts and Kaboul.

Chirches has been top for us when he has played, too bad he is injured, would have been nice to have kept Caulker as well considering the situation with Dawson, Verts and Kaboul.

In an ideal world, I guess. We probably would have too, in an ideal world.

I don't think it was that simple at the time, but I agree that we are short of options in defence this season

Absence makes the heart grow fonder.
I liked Caulker, but cant say I was at all bothered we sold him

I wasn't particularly bothered at the time because a) thought Kaboul's situation was better and b) lotta rumors out at the time we were quite actively pursuing another CB. In hindsight, it certainly is a strange decision based on his HG status and now how thin we are at the position considering a poor evaluation of Kaboul.

Back
Top Bottom