Louis Van Gaal

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Apparently, according to some ITK on SC, Sherwood is a dead man walking, and it won't be Van Gaal that replaces him......

#DON'TSHOOTTHEMESSENGER!

Tactically De Boer and Van Gaal are extraordinarily similar. Makes sense since FDB played under LVG at Ajax and Barcelona. Just a question of if FDB can do it on a bigger stage. He'd be the higher upside pick considering his age but I'm much more inclined towards the experience of a guy like LVG considering our crisis of leadership.

Both would make sense. The other two names I think we'll hear tossed around a lot is Prandelli and Spalletti. I think any of those four would be a pretty good outcome for us. Still hoping for LVG most though.

If anyone wants a mainstream comparison for the type of football that LVG would employ, look no further than Barcelona.

Van Gaal is one of the top three most influential Dutch managers of all time along with the two architects of Total Football, Rinus Michels and Johan Cruyff. All three of these men managed at both Ajax and Barcelona. People laud Barcelona nowadays for their commitment to the 4-3-3 throughout the whole club from academy to first team. Well where did they get that idea? It is from Ajax and these three managers.

With total football, the defining aspects are dominating possession, high pressing defensively, high line, positional interchange, and general creative attacking football. This is what Cruyff and Michels instilled into Barcelona during their time there. People forget that before the arrival of the Dutch influence that the Spanish were very much known for their negative football.

Van Gaal has his own variation of Total Football, which is basically the direct precursor of Guardiola’s Tiki taka. LVG is obsessed with football as a team sport, he believes that each player needs to be fulfilling their role of they are at risk of letting the whole team down. So what LVG did was he drastically cut down on the positional swapping that was such a big part of Total Football and instead instilled a system much more based on quick ball circulation. His goal was to move the ball around quickly enough to create number mismatches in various parts of the pitch (4 v 3, 3 v 2, etc) by creating passing triangles. This is exactly what Barcelona still does today. LVG’s system can be very rigid. For example, he does not allow his wingers to attempt to dribble past players unless the situation is 1 v. 1. The way he sees it is that if two players are marking a winger there is space elsewhere that can be exploited. So instead the winger must turn back and the ball must be circulated to try to find that space.

The next influential manager at Barcelona was Rijkaard who played under LVG when Ajax won the Champions League. He largely adhered to LVG’s system with slightly more deference to allow individuals players to have freedom like Cruyff believes.

Finally came Guardiola who is certainly about as similar a manager to LVG as exists. He took LVG’s structured and patient passing and attacking system and ramped it up even further. While LVG doesn’t mind the occasional long ball to test the defense or switch things up, Pep eliminated almost all of that in favor of even more possession. It is unsurprising that Guardiola’s system was greatly steeped in what Van Gaal does considering he played under LVG at Barcelona.

Overall, modern Barcelona still resembles much of what the 70’s Ajax/Netherlands total football embraced. They play 4-3-3, try to keep as much possession as possible, play a highline and press high up the field. But they have evolved much more along the lines of LVG’s team as a unit mentality than Cruyff’s more individual freedom mentality. Basically, watching Guardiola's Barcelona is about 95% percent what you would tactically see out of a LVG team.

They say Bill Clinton was America’s first black president, well by that logic I think that Spain’s 2010 World Cup title was the Netherlands’ first World Cup triumph as well.

I personally favour van Gaal the most and it's what initially distracted me away from really believing in Sherwood, but I don't want to fully consider it until I hear that Moyes will definitely be at united next season.

If City finished 4th, would Pellegrini be in doubt (and hence LVG have an offer for there?)

Apparently, according to some ITK on SC, Sherwood is a dead man walking, and it won't be Van Gaal that replaces him......

#DON'TSHOOTTHEMESSENGER!

ITK in it's best form. It's much easier to say someone won't than that someone will.

A bit like when I tricked a gooner into betting against woolwich NOT winning the league at a 1/1 rate. What a mug, eh?

ITK in it's best form. It's much easier to say someone won't than that someone will.

A bit like when I tricked a gooner into betting against woolwich NOT winning the league at a 1/1 rate. What a mug, eh?

Ermmm no, as if someone bet on Woolwich to not win the league at 1/1, and they didn't, they would be doubling their money.

Unless I've somehow misunderstood your post, you are entitled to one double facepalm :adethumbup:

Ermmm no, as if someone bet on Woolwich to not win the league at 1/1, and they didn't, they would be doubling their money.

Unless I've somehow misunderstood your post, you are entitled to one double facepalm :adethumbup:
He wrote that the goon bet against woolwoch's not winning. So the goon bet that they'd win the title at 1/1

to be honest, i think there is a reason timmy got an 18 moth contract. soon as he spouted that he didnt just want a 6 month caretaker gig, Levy figured 18 was the least he would get away with offering. I think Levy has done his deal with Sherwood's replacement, and nothing is being announced till an agreed time.

He wrote that the goon bet against woolwoch's not winning. So the goon bet that they'd win the title at 1/1

Either way, 1/1 odds are double money (stake back plus stake), so I don't get what so stupid about that?

1/1 odds are the called 'evens'

Because Woolwich are currently 13/1 to win.

I know that, but it didn't seem like that was the point in the post. I could bet a mate a tenner that my team could beat his, now if I went to the bookies I could win more, but sometimes it's best so one of you gets the money than risk gifting it to the bookies, yet it's still 1/1 odds.

I don't think it makes someone a mug, depends on what the relationship is - if it was someone you'd be unlikely to meet again, they'd be a mug even at 1000/1

Back
Top Bottom