Louis Van Gaal

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I do. Levy has consistently paid managers top rates. Our managers have consistently been among the top earners in the world.

Levy also sacked our last 2 managers for finishing 4th and 5th - so Tim is not safe on the basis of success either.

FWIW I think van Gaal is a legend and rightly so, and would welcome him to the club - the opportunity to get that sort of calibre into the club should not be passed up IMO.

It would be a real shame for Sherwood, particularly if he does well, but we couldnt rely on the chance coming up again

Maybe Levy has learned his lesson this time?

A bit of a compromise, with the DoF system, so he does'nt have to worry about Sherwood's (possibly) limited knowledge of players around the world....

Thats a massive maybe though..

I do. Levy has consistently paid managers top rates. Our managers have consistently been among the top earners in the world.

Levy also sacked our last 2 managers for finishing 4th and 5th - so Tim is not safe on the basis of success either.

FWIW I think van Gaal is a legend and rightly so, and would welcome him to the club - the opportunity to get that sort of calibre into the club should not be passed up IMO.

It would be a real shame for Sherwood, particularly if he does well, but we couldnt rely on the chance coming up again

i don't think Levy sacked our last 2 managers based on league position alone. and although we've paid top rate in the past, that has been out of necessity due to the situation we found ourselves in, e.g. to prise Ramos away from Sevilla. i obviously wouldn't turn my nose up at LVG but TS could be a better long term option if he continues to prove himself. could be a moot point anyway, if we finish 7th or 8th then timmy no doubt gets the chop.

Thats a massive maybe though..

Lets be honest, its not even a "maybe" is it?

Levy loves the kudos a "name" brings. He loves showing off his ambition. He loves dealing on just about anything. He wont think twice about passing up Sherwood for van Gaal IMHO. And to be honest I dont think I would either, the guy is one of the best there is.

Ive had the feeling since it happened Sherwood would only be here to the summer, nothing since has changed that.

What has changed is thanks to his performance I feel a lot better about the rest of the season than I did in December, so fair play to him for that and I will feel for him if he gets the elbow.

Id also say that this whole situtation is essentially a no-lose one for Sherwood, either he keeps this ridiculously good opportunity he has (inexplicably) been given, or he gets a pay off and his pick of club for his next job.

I would imagine going from us, in a challenge for 4th and EUROPA league etc he will be a highly prized candidate, and this will have set his career forward YEARS by comparison to going down the leagues and working his way up.

i don't think Levy sacked our last 2 managers based on league position alone. and although we've paid top rate in the past, that has been out of necessity due to the situation we found ourselves in, e.g. to prise Ramos away from Sevilla. i obviously wouldn't turn my nose up at LVG but TS could be a better long term option if he continues to prove himself. could be a moot point anyway, if we finish 7th or 8th then timmy no doubt gets the chop.

I dont think he sacked them because of that either, but the point is both were successful and it counted for nought at the end of the day, so even if Sherwood gets 4th I wouldnt see it as a premise for Levy to keep him - we have seen him do the opposite twice in the last couple of years.

We have consistently payed top dollar, why is not really important IMO - we have and IMO would continue to do so for someone like LvG.

Peversely if we finished 7th or 8th I think it could keep Sherwood his job!

If we are a CL club/knocking on the CL door we are hugely more attractive to higher profile managers like LvG. If we finished nearer 10th than 5th would he still be interested? Could be that situation which sees us give Sherwood a second season through a lack of better alternatives...

If Sherwood get's us into the top 5 I wouldn't be unhappy with him staying on next season but I think unless he gets 4th he will be gone. The thing with Sherwood is that the results we are getting at the moment can't be credited entirely to him, he's come in and said 'this is the formation these are the players now go and play football' and because we have such talented footballers it's working at the moment - as it did with Harry post Ramos. But I really believe, like with Harry, there is going to come a stage when Tim cannot take us any further forwards due to lack of tactical nous and in Tims case, lack of proper managerial experience. The feel good factor doesn't last forever. I may be proven wrong and Tim could become a revelation who has a lot more tactical knowledge than we give him credit for but I personally think the job came round a bit too early in his career, but I again I really don't know after less than 10 games!

Van Gaal is an excellent manager and his record speaks for itself and he would be my first choice for next season if Sherwood doesn't stay on. Has had success at every club he's been at and is a proven winner, this is what we want is it not? My only concern would be the longevity of LVG, he is 62 now and probably only has a few more years left in him so we would be looking at a new manager before we've even got used to this one - but given the constant chopping and changing would this make much difference? The only other name I could put forward realistically is Frank de Boer who has been mentioned a lot already but he, like AVB, is only proven in a so called 'lesser league'. Unlike André though, he's very flexible with his tactics and formations and very attacking also.

Whatever happens at the end of the season you will not see Sherwood being 'sacked' he will be 'thanked for his contributions and replaced' or he will sign a new contract and stay long term. Whoever the manager is at the start of the next season, he needs to be given a good 2-3 seasons to implement their style - especially with respect to De Boer. It's just whether football these days will allow for that sort of time.

I dont think he sacked them because of that either, but the point is both were successful and it counted for nought at the end of the day, so even if Sherwood gets 4th I wouldnt see it as a premise for Levy to keep him - we have seen him do the opposite twice in the last couple of years.

We have consistently payed top dollar, why is not really important IMO - we have and IMO would continue to do so for someone like LvG.

Peversely if we finished 7th or 8th I think it could keep Sherwood his job!

If we are a CL club/knocking on the CL door we are hugely more attractive to higher profile managers like LvG. If we finished nearer 10th than 5th would he still be interested? Could be that situation which sees us give Sherwood a second season through a lack of better alternatives...

done to death but despite league positions, 'arry got sacked for being disloyal and fucking up the champs league twice, AVB got sacked for playing dismal football, being as stubborn as a mule and he clearly fucked people off within the club as well.

Tim has a strong relationship and is well thought of by Levy so if gets 4th, plays good football and avoids fucks ups of the magnitude of the aforementioned then I honestly can't see Levy getting rid of him mate, time will tell though!

done to death but despite league positions, 'arry got sacked for being disloyal and fucking up the champs league twice, AVB got sacked for playing dismal football, being as stubborn as a mule and he clearly fucked people off within the club as well.

Tim has a strong relationship and is well thought of by Levy so if gets 4th, plays good football and avoids fucks ups of the magnitude of the aforementioned then I honestly can't see Levy getting rid of him mate, time will tell though!

Time will tell, but Id suggest it will favour history. The point I was making though was that results didnt matter in the end for them, so they probably wont for Sherwood.

Also Id pay little heed to relationships, Comolli had Levys ear before he turned on him, AVB was the chosen one, Jol was a favourite... It all goes sour eventually with Levy.

Time will tell, but Id suggest it will favour history. The point I was making though was that results didnt matter in the end for them, so they probably wont for Sherwood.

Also Id pay little heed to relationships, Comolli had Levys ear before he turned on him, AVB was the chosen one, Jol was a favourite... It all goes sour eventually with Levy.

haha, i'll agree with you on that!

Sounds good. Let's bring him to the club in August, have him alienate first team players he doesn't get along with, change the team's chemistry up, introduce a new system two weeks before the start of the season, get rid of a manager who knows how to motivate the players and knows the ins and outs of the club, drop points the first half of the season and finish in 5th. SOUNDS LIKE A DREAM SEASON TO ME

:paulinhofacepalm:

How does anyone know how far Timmy can take us? Why are we always making assumptions like that? He's made an amazing turn around. Honestly, I'd feel it a shame if we finished in 5th and he got fired. Timmy has proven every single one of his detractors wrong at every turn (except in the fashion department, but hey... you like what you like). Keep him on.

:walker-scream:

Exactly, would rather have someone who is young and hungry than someone who is retiring and doesn't seem fussed either way.
like the young Portuguese manager that's looking for work?
Rather than the established football expert that knows management backwards and has a wealth of experience and a bloody impressive CV?

Good call

How does anyone know how far Timmy can take us? Why are we always making assumptions like that? He's made an amazing turn around. Honestly, I'd feel it a shame if we finished in 5th and he got fired. Timmy has proven every single one of his detractors wrong at every turn (except in the fashion department, but hey... you like what you like). Keep him on.

Yep, he's proven everyone completely and utterly wrong, for exactly 37 days. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm sold!

Who knew that all you had to do to find a head coach that can take a team to a top 4 place (or hopefully championship) in the PL is to find a youth team coach and give him a go for 37 days! We should have just had Baldini scout out youth team coaches around the world and we could give them a few runs out and see who sticks!

The fact is that we have taken a massive turnaround since AVB left. Is that because of Sherwood? Is that because AVB left? Is it because of some other factor? Probably a combination of all of those things, really. I don't doubt that if it were Freund who had taken the helm that we may be in the same position as we are under Sherwood. We've improved, we look better, and we're scoring goals but if I'm Levy, I'm not putting all of my eggs into the basket that is Sherwood, a youth team coach with zero PL head coaching experience and who's tactical discussions sound like Redknapp.

Full credit to Timmy, but damn I'm looking around for option B in case it all goes in the shitter.

Sounds good. Let's bring him to the club in August, have him alienate first team players he doesn't get along with, change the team's chemistry up, introduce a new system two weeks before the start of the season, get rid of a manager who knows how to motivate the players and knows the ins and outs of the club, drop points the first half of the season and finish in 5th. SOUNDS LIKE A DREAM SEASON TO ME

:paulinhofacepalm:

:walker-scream:
As impressed as I've been with us under Tim, he's yet to prove anyone wrong or right. Far too early and his only 'notable' win has been against Utd. Has lost to West Ham and Woolwich in both cups. I think after the next 4 games we'll be able to make a better judgement with games against City, Everton and Newcastle that will really test his mettle.

like the young Portuguese manager that's looking for work?
Rather than the established football expert that knows management backwards and has a wealth of experience and a bloody impressive CV?

Good call

Simply because he knows the game backwards doesn't mean he will be a success. Why change something that is already working?

Tim Sherwood: A man who knows his place in relation to the board (specifically the oh so wonderful Mr.Levy) and has, in 37 days, proven he has what it takes to motivate a squad (see: Crystal Palace second half) and sufficient tactical acumen (see: 3-0 win against Swansea just yesterday). Has an ego, but not so much so that he is dumb enough to harbor any personal grudges when we are in dire need (see: bringing a hungry Ade back into the first team fold)

Louis Van Gaal: an undoubtedly good coach, great record. Problems with the board WHEREVER he has gone. Been fired from winning programs BECAUSE of his prickly attitude. Has has issues with his club's best players in the past. Is that what you want next season? Is that what we need to succeed???

Tim Sherwood is on an 18 month contract-- I wouldn't say that's "putting all your eggs" in one basket. He's done well, and a strong finish to the season appears to be a reasonable expectation from here on out. The best case scenario is that the club lets him at least begin the final year of his contract. But nope-- results, chemistry and attacking football we all crave aside FUCK ALL TO TIM. IT'S GOING TOO GOOD TIM OUT. Give me a fucking break. People wonder why our home record is so bad?? You all could have the slightest bit of decency and actually SUPPORT the club you claim to love.

But go ahead. Call for the big name manager. When he comes in and immediately undoes all of the chemistry we've FINALLY managed to get flowing this season with a 7 new players who, for the most part (Lamela, Cap aside) are FINALLY starting to find their feet, you'll be the first ones to start pitching a little bitch fit on these forums.

fucking ridiculous

He was at SB to watch Chelsea - United too :harrysmile:
article-2542228-1ACE812B00000578-464_634x355.jpg

Simply because he knows the game backwards doesn't mean he will be a success. Why change something that is already working?
My suzuki ignis gets me round Bermuda just fine, but I'd happily upgrade to a BMW diesel turbo if one became available at the right price, particularly if it came with an impressive service history.
Don't get me wrong, I am not a Sherwood detractor at all, but I am not going to be the least bit surprised if and when the slump arrives. From experience I would say that its inevitable and when it happens, the well of experience for Sherwood to draw on, to do something about it is probably not deep enough to dig him out.
I also hate more than I can express the destructive merry go round that this club has with managers, we need a manager in place for the long term, and we need to stop firing them the second something goes wrong. We shouldn't have dropped Jol when we did and we shouldn't have dumped Redknapp for the illusion of AVB's supposed revolutionary managerial talents. But when someone of this pedigree says he would be interested after the world cup - I would be inclined to sign him up now, with an eye on the new season. This is not an opportunity to miss.
I take your point that there are no guarantees, but if you gave our squad, plus any new opportunities to a man of his pedigree, he will produce a good - if not great team out of them.
IMHO

Levy is the Joseph Stalin of the game, one minute his friend the next up for the chop, a cold personality to say the least. I still can't figure out though if he's clever or just a fool, his decisions can be quite bizarre at times. That why van Gael might not be as great as everyone thinks, a Dutch ferguson working with levy, if he screws up with Timmy and van Gael then it's time to take the old dog out the back and put it down.

Back
Top Bottom