Levy / ENIC

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Is the implication here that because Tonali decided on leaving his club, Bastoni should think the same way?

Not should. That would be twisting it to make it sound less credible. I’m sure you weren’t doing that.

The implication is that if money was able to get Tonali on board with a move out of Milan, it would have for Bastoni too.

More to point out that the belief that loyalty prevented us from signing Bastoni comes from a position of naivety in the world of football .
@ Richard Arlison, sometimes you just have to let people believe what they try very hard to convince themselves. If people still believe that Levy tried his level best to buy Bastoni let them. The same people probably believe that we tried hard for Min Jae Kim, Gvardiol, Bremer, Skriniar, and a host of others. Save yourself some frustration and possibly heart burn. They still believe Levy.

@ Richard Arlison, sometimes you just have to let people believe what they try very hard to convince themselves. If people still believe that Levy tried his level best to buy Bastoni let them. The same people probably believe that we tried hard for Min Jae Kim, Gvardiol, Bremer, Skriniar, and a host of others. Save yourself some frustration and possibly heart burn. They still believe Levy.
I don’t believe anyone on this subject. That’s the point. I don’t believe that just because Tonali does a thing, it means Bastoni would too.

I also don’t believe Levy tried his level best to get Bastoni. I believe he asked the question and was told he was happy where he was, so left it at that.

Reported by Ally G so most likely.

May not be as bad as it sounds though. He has a great network and database of players. Also decent relations with agents which Levy doesn’t.

If he’s still doing deals then it’s fucked
Levy is probably hoping that we get caught breaking rules

Might be a transfer ban involved ...

I don’t believe anyone on this subject. That’s the point. I don’t believe that just because Tonali does a thing, it means Bastoni would too.

I also don’t believe Levy tried his level best to get Bastoni. I believe he asked the question and was told he was happy where he was, so left it at that.
our reported interested when the price came back as 70m+. Then Bastoni’s agent had a meeting with the club and came out declaring his undying love for Inter.

Bastoni is just the level of deal Levy isn’t able to get done.

Thought this sounded very familiar.

How is it that we have the third biggest turnover yet we don’t seem to be able to compete with Europe’s best for players? Simon C

This is an emotive subject. In terms of net-owner spending, I think you’re referring to this recent article in The Athletic. It’s no secret that FSG don’t put money into Liverpool — but neither do they take cash out of the club. The fact Liverpool’s net-owner funding over the past five years stands at negative £37million is down to the money that’s been repaid to the owners for the low-interest loan they took out to finance the new £110million Main Stand in 2016. The most recent accounts showed that the balance now stands at £71.4million.

My frustration with the debate over the ownership is that there seems to be so little middle ground, especially on social media. The idea that you’re either “FSG Out” or an “FSG apologist” is ridiculous. It is possible to believe the owners have done a lot of good things and made some mistakes along the way while questioning whether their self-sustaining business model for Liverpool can really bring more glory given the financial muscle of rivals.

There’s no mystery surrounding where the money goes. Liverpool played 63 games in 2021-22, generated club-record revenues of £594million, but still only made a pre-tax profit of £7.5m. The wage bill rocketed to £366million — an increase of nearly 17 per cent on the previous 12 months.

It’s not that Liverpool “don’t spend”, it’s just that rivals have deeper pockets or are willing to take on much greater levels of debt.

Look at 2021-22: the signing of Konate was effectively covered by summer sales, but then they spent £50million on Luis Diaz in the January window. Last season, if you include potential add-ons for incomings and outgoings and the January signing of Cody Gakpo, the net spend was around £75million.

I understand the argument that FSG should put in their own cash given the fact the value of their asset has rocketed since that £300million takeover in 2010, but they’ve consistently said throughout their tenure that Liverpool has to live within its means.

The time to judge whether FSG have backed Klopp sufficiently this summer is in August, not now.

Thought this sounded very familiar.

How is it that we have the third biggest turnover yet we don’t seem to be able to compete with Europe’s best for players? Simon C

This is an emotive subject. In terms of net-owner spending, I think you’re referring to this recent article in The Athletic. It’s no secret that FSG don’t put money into Liverpool — but neither do they take cash out of the club. The fact Liverpool’s net-owner funding over the past five years stands at negative £37million is down to the money that’s been repaid to the owners for the low-interest loan they took out to finance the new £110million Main Stand in 2016. The most recent accounts showed that the balance now stands at £71.4million.

My frustration with the debate over the ownership is that there seems to be so little middle ground, especially on social media. The idea that you’re either “FSG Out” or an “FSG apologist” is ridiculous. It is possible to believe the owners have done a lot of good things and made some mistakes along the way while questioning whether their self-sustaining business model for Liverpool can really bring more glory given the financial muscle of rivals.

There’s no mystery surrounding where the money goes. Liverpool played 63 games in 2021-22, generated club-record revenues of £594million, but still only made a pre-tax profit of £7.5m. The wage bill rocketed to £366million — an increase of nearly 17 per cent on the previous 12 months.

It’s not that Liverpool “don’t spend”, it’s just that rivals have deeper pockets or are willing to take on much greater levels of debt.

Look at 2021-22: the signing of Konate was effectively covered by summer sales, but then they spent £50million on Luis Diaz in the January window. Last season, if you include potential add-ons for incomings and outgoings and the January signing of Cody Gakpo, the net spend was around £75million.

I understand the argument that FSG should put in their own cash given the fact the value of their asset has rocketed since that £300million takeover in 2010, but they’ve consistently said throughout their tenure that Liverpool has to live within its means.

The time to judge whether FSG have backed Klopp sufficiently this summer is in August, not now.

It's uncanny.

do you honestly think Conte requested Bastoni without checking he was interested in joining? Via text or WhatsApp? Or do you think he randomly asked Levy to sign him, and it turned out he didn’t want to? FFS

Back
Top Bottom