League Run In

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Had we started the season with our current preferred eleven we might have been in a stronger position right now. I think we'll finish 6-7th but with enough positivity around the place to start next season much better than this one. All those league games with Kaboul, Capoue and Adebayor really look a waste now.

Had we started the season with our current preferred eleven we might have been in a stronger position right now. I think we'll finish 6-7th but with enough positivity around the place to start next season much better than this one. All those league games with Kaboul, Capoue and Adebayor really look a waste now.

He ! - the disagree-button is too close to the quote button, sorry..

I think you are right that we will finish 6-7th (we have 44 points this season vs 50 points last season after round 26 and I fear our crazy schedule will take its toll over the next month or so)

If we drop out of the EL next season will be a totally different cup of tea. Will we keep a mega-squad of "much of muchness" or clear out massively ? Bring back youngsters such as Carrol and Pritchard and bring up a couple from the academy ? Or send the mafioso on another buying spree ?

He ! - the disagree-button is too close to the quote button, sorry..

I think you are right that we will finish 6-7th (we have 44 points this season vs 50 points last season after round 26 and I fear our crazy schedule will take its toll over the next month or so)

If we drop out of the EL next season will be a totally different cup of tea. Will we keep a mega-squad of "much of muchness" or clear out massively ? Bring back youngsters such as Carrol and Pritchard and bring up a couple from the academy ? Or send the mafioso on another buying spree ?
I think the summer window willl be hectic!

We still need a big spoonful of consistency and a huge dollop of good fortune and then maybe we can leap frog all the others in the running for third or fourth. Realistically, 5th or 6th is more likely, and I think I would be quite happy to miss out on Europa League for a season, if it gives us a chance of doing better in the League.

As a transitional season, improving on our league standing from last year would be great. The system works, the manager is good, the players love him, WHL is becoming a bit of a fortress again, we're into a cup final, we're fitter and just simply better than last year and have the youngest team in the league and spent almost nothing in the summer or January.

Meaningless, unless its soon to change.

Realistically, 5th or 6th is more likely, and I think I would be quite happy to miss out on Europa League for a season

5th gets us Europa League
If we win the League Cup we get the Europa league
If we finish 6th and lose the Cup we get Europa League
If we finish 7th depending on who's in the FA cup final I think we'll get Europa League

Seems like we're going to be cursed with it in almost every situation, excluding winning it or coming 4th. Wouldn't hold your breath.

5th gets us Europa League
If we win the League Cup we get the Europa league
If we finish 6th and lose the Cup we get Europa League
If we finish 7th depending on who's in the FA cup final I think we'll get Europa League

Seems like we're going to be cursed with it in almost every situation, excluding winning it or coming 4th. Wouldn't hold your breath.
thanks for this, hadn't taken all the connotations into account .... and I never hold my breath when it comes to anything Spurs - I'd be brown bread by now!! ;)

Is that true? How many goddamned slots are there for this poisoned chalice?

If you finish 5th you get a Europa League Spot.
If you win the FA cup you get a Europa League spot.
If you win the League Cup you get a Europa League spot.

However, if the winner of the cup is already qualified for a European competition (CL or EL) then it goes to the 6th and 7th placed team, if memory serves me correct.

There are three Europa league spots. They go to the two cup winners and the fifth place team. If the League cup winner finishes fifth or better the sixth place team gets in. If the FA cup winner and runner up have already qualified the spot goes to the seventh team. UEFA threatens to change the runner up part every few years so it might be just the winner but Hull played in this year's Europa.

Im of the opinion that we will miss out on fourth because Our defending is not up to much we have conceded five goals in the last two league games not good enough.
I will settle for fifth or sixth for now and wait until we can recruit a few upgrades and poch to sort the back four out and see what we can do next year.

The English FA has 4 Champions League places & 3 Europa League Spots. No more, no less.

The interesting Senario is this; Goons finish 5th but win Champions league ( yuck feel sick ) & Liverpool finish 6th but win the Europa. The teams in 4th & 3rd get Europa League ! While those 2 join Champions League.

But then out of FA Cup winners & League Cup winners who would get the remaining Europa spot ? Hope it's not us !

The English FA has 4 Champions League places & 3 Europa League Spots. No more, no less.

The interesting Senario is this; Goons finish 5th but win Champions league ( yuck feel sick ) & Liverpool finish 6th but win the Europa. The teams in 4th & 3rd get Europa League ! While those 2 join Champions League.

But then out of FA Cup winners & League Cup winners who would get the remaining Europa spot ? Hope it's not us !

Or better: Woolwich finish 4th but we win the Europa and thus do a Chelsea on them!

I think so too, and, unfortunately, for wrong as well as right reasons. I've got a feeling we're going to have a bit of our usual outgoing transfer wrangle over Hugo and Jan. I hope not, of course, and that they buy into Poch's vision and stay.
My hope is that Lloris' (at times awful) distribution will keep the biggest clubs away.

Or better: Woolwich finish 4th but we win the Europa and thus do a Chelsea on them!
If a team finishes 5th or lower but wins a European tournament, they will enter IN ADDITION TO the top 4. The only way to come 4th and miss out is if both the CL and EL winners come from England and both finish below 4th, in which case the team in 4th will miss out because there's a maximum of 5 entrants from one country.

3rd spot is taken, now the Scum will be out of the CL. This is why they achieve top 4 every season, knocked out of everything important by Feb? FA cup they always seem to play low end teams or get beat?
so 4th between a few of us. It may depend on how well we do in th EL and on Sunday. Liverpool will get beat tomorrow and be out of the EL .

3rd spot is taken, now the Scum will be out of the CL. This is why they achieve top 4 every season, knocked out of everything important by Feb?

They're only 4 points ahead and they've got a few tough games coming up. They started to struggle in March last year. Last year they played 7 games in March and only won 2. Lose 1 game and they will be out of the top 4, never mind third. Not sure how you can say their spot is taken?

Liverpool will get beat tomorrow and be out of the EL .

Liverpool will win this. They're 1-0 up in the home leg...score 1 goal and Besiktas need 3 to win.

They're only 4 points ahead and they've got a few tough games coming up. They started to struggle in March last year. Last year they played 7 games in March and only won 2. Lose 1 game and they will be out of the top 4, never mind third. Not sure how you can say their spot is taken?

Liverpool will win this. They're 1-0 up in the home leg...score 1 goal and Besiktas need 3 to win.
History-past seasons....they may have been awful in March but where did they finish?
Lets hope I'm wrong on both counts-I, as everyone on here would love to see them fail?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom