Kevin Wimmer

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don't even think its CCV causing the issue here so much as Dier - if Wanyama continues as first choice for the DM role (which Poch seems to confirm he only needs one player for) then Dier's likely to be on the bench. From here Poch has the option to choose him to replace Victor but also either of Toby/Jan, and allows for an extra attacking option on the bench. Neither CCV or Wimmer were available sgsinst City and I think barring any injuries that could become the norm. Shame as he looks a top player and may soon wander what he's doing here

Apparently he is frustrated :( according to Sky sports
"After last season, where I played towards the end quite frequently, I'm already down on other expectations for this season," he said.

"That (the injury I had) has taken me back a bit. It is difficult at the moment but I am patiently waiting for my chance. I try to always stay positive.

"The feedback from the club is always that they are very happy; that they see the future with me. This is very positive, but it is about the here and now."

When asked whether he would consider his future ahead of the January transfer window, he added: "We will see what happens in the next few weeks; how much I start. We have a few midweek matches."

Read more at Spurs defender Kevin Wimmer may consider options in January

Personally I have no issues with what he has said, exactly what you would want to hear from a young footballer desperate to play and be part of a team who sits top of the League. I would be fuming if we signed and had a player on our books who was there for they pay cheque. Imagine if he came out and said, "It's all cool, I don't care if I play or not". (*Walcott, Gibbs, Oxlaide-Chamberlin, Chambers*).

Nothing to worry about from those comments. He is clearly seen as the long-term successor to Jan and I think he will understand that it's gonna be hard to dislodge one of the world's best centre-back pairings. Just needs to bide his time. Vertonghen usually gets an injury per season so Wimmer will get his chance.

He must understand it's pretty hard to get game time when Alderweireld and Vertonghen are our centre back pairings. He'll get his chance in the League Cup and the FA Cup I imagine.

Austria's entire back 4 is pretty bad right now (Hinteregger and Dragovic in the middle are the definition of "blah"). Wimmer playing badly out of position isn't helping.

From his point of view he should leave, play & develop. Will most likely very rarely play for us this season.

From my point of view, I hope he stays as he is a very solid CB. The new michael dawson!

This is Poch on the selection questions:
“When a player is not in my plans, I tell you quickly but first I tell the player,” said Pochettino. “Kevin's in my plans, but when I put him on the bench, another player needs to be put out. Tell me which player you'd switch with him?

“I'm the manager and I always need to find balance on the bench. Ben Davies can play as a centre-back or as a full-back. I needed another right, not another left in Germany. If something happened with Dier or Kieran Trippier, I needed a right foot. So the decision is to give balance to the bench and the team if something happens.”

Right-footed teenager Cameron Carter-Vickers appears to have moved ahead of Wimmer in the Tottenham pecking order and Pochettino added: “Cameron shows in every session he is at the same level as others. Sometimes it's Cameron, sometimes Kevin, sometimes Ben Davies, sometimes Trippier, sometimes Walker.”

EDIT:
A bit more, sounded pissed off with the questions, god help him if he clicks onto this thread.
Told that fans and the media were confused by Wimmer's situation, Pochettino said: "Why are you confused? You are creating an issue that doesn't exist. You say it's a big problem for the supporters and media are very concerned.

"His situation was [he was] out of the 18 players. I need to take a decision about that."

Asked if Wimmer, who made 21 appearances last season, was still in his plans, Pochettino added: "Why not? When did I tell you he wasn't in my plans?

Mauricio Pochettino plays down talk on Kevin Wimmer's Tottenham future

Last edited:
I think we should move away from the conspiracy theories people...
...this isn't the 'deleted explosion theory' from 9/11...

Fact is, Dier is probably a better CB than Wimmer... that's probably why he started last night... and CCV is showing signs that he can be better than him too...

Whether Wimmer has been involved in an 'altercation' in training or whatever, I don't think disguises the fact that he has appeared overweight (something I don't think Poch takes lightly)
...yes, he covered well last season, but that was before CCV emerged on the scene.

I'm more than happy with Vertonghen, Alderweireld, Carter-Vickers and Wimmer as our CB options... what order they play in, isn't up to me.

Rare that you see people moaning that a home grown talent is taking place on the bench over someone else.

Not particularly fussed. Wimmer will start at Anfield and whenever Dier is playing in midfield id expect him to be on the bench when fit.

This is Poch on the selection questions:
“When a player is not in my plans, I tell you quickly but first I tell the player,” said Pochettino. “Kevin's in my plans, but when I put him on the bench, another player needs to be put out. Tell me which player you'd switch with him?

“I'm the manager and I always need to find balance on the bench. Ben Davies can play as a centre-back or as a full-back. I needed another right, not another left in Germany. If something happened with Dier or Kieran Trippier, I needed a right foot. So the decision is to give balance to the bench and the team if something happens.”

Right-footed teenager Cameron Carter-Vickers appears to have moved ahead of Wimmer in the Tottenham pecking order and Pochettino added: “Cameron shows in every session he is at the same level as others. Sometimes it's Cameron, sometimes Kevin, sometimes Ben Davies, sometimes Trippier, sometimes Walker.”

EDIT:
A bit more, sounded pissed off with the questions, god help him if he clicks onto this thread.
Told that fans and the media were confused by Wimmer's situation, Pochettino said: "Why are you confused? You are creating an issue that doesn't exist. You say it's a big problem for the supporters and media are very concerned.

"His situation was [he was] out of the 18 players. I need to take a decision about that."

Asked if Wimmer, who made 21 appearances last season, was still in his plans, Pochettino added: "Why not? When did I tell you he wasn't in my plans?

Mauricio Pochettino plays down talk on Kevin Wimmer's Tottenham future
What's clear is that Poch won't play a left footed centre half on the right of the pair. It's like for like. And I think he's absolutely right. Davies can fill in at left CB & LB. that's 2 positions covered by one bench place. Heaven forbid we ever have to play Wimmer at LB...he looks very shaky for Austria in that position. Wimmer will get game time in his best position. But when Verts is fit, he plays in the big games. It's tough on Wimmer, but that's life & all he can do is work hard in training & wait for his chance...or he can find a club where he will be guaranteed a starting spot. There are a lot of them around. I really rate big Kev & trust that Poch will be managing the situation carefully. He gets paid the big bucks to make & explain the difficult decisions.

Back
Top Bottom