Kevin Wimmer

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm sure everybody associated with Tottenham Hotspur will be delighted how the first ten games have went, probably better than we'd thought/hoped, Negatives being the Monaco game and Kane's injury but the Moscow result and Sons form have evened out, but one slight issue and that's Wimmers lack of game time,yes it's difficult fitting everyone in, he played against Gillingham did well as he did last season but would be disappointing if he got disheartened at the lack of games and wanted regular football somewhere else he is good enough for regular first team football!

As an Austrian, I'm not a regular user of this forum, but I definitely support Tottenham in the Premier League. I am just a little concerned about Wimmer's career, so I just wanted to know from some long-time supporters why he doesn't even have a place on the bench? I thought he did very well last season when he had to replace Vertonghen, and I am convinced he would not disappoint when he gets a chance. What do you think? Will we see more from Wimmer this season or is he going to stay Centre Back no. 4?

As an Austrian, I'm not a regular user of this forum, but I definitely support Tottenham in the Premier League. I am just a little concerned about Wimmer's career, so I just wanted to know from some long-time supporters why he doesn't even have a place on the bench? I thought he did very well last season when he had to replace Vertonghen, and I am convinced he would not disappoint when he gets a chance. What do you think? Will we see more from Wimmer this season or is he going to stay Centre Back no. 4?

Poch rates Cameron Carter Vickers ahead of him based on what he sees in training. Kev will get his chance but will have to work harder it seems.

I can't speak for everyone but I think it's fair to say that almost all of us love him. His appearances during Vertonghens absence were fantastic, they were so good that there was a genuine debate about whether Vertonghen would get his place back.

No one knows why he hasn't been selected. With Poch, it might well be an attitude issue, some have joked that he is a tad overweight. His non-selection would indicate that there is an issue. Time will tell if it is something he is trying to rectify or if he is out. But from a fans perspective he is well liked.

As an American I have lurked around this forum for a long time and never posted. I have supported Spurs for years, but as an American I am as interested in Cameron Carter-Vickers as you are in Wimmer from an international standpoint.

I thought Wimmer was fantastic when Jan went down last season and was as surprised as anyone that CCV seems to be picked ahead of him on the bench so far. I would say in both cases though, that there should be plenty of games as we progress is cup competitions, Europe and the league. My sense is that Wimmer will have his chances through injury or squad rotation and that when he gets on he will look at least as good as last season.

Both Wimmer and CCV just happen to be behind the best center-back pairing in the league by a wide margin and one of the best in the world right now. Waiting your turn is just part of being at a massive champions league club like Real Madrid, Barca, Bayern... or Tottenham. :pochsmirk:

I can't speak for everyone but I think it's fair to say that almost all of us love him. His appearances during Vertonghens absence were fantastic, they were so good that there was a genuine debate about whether Vertonghen would get his place back.

No one knows why he hasn't been selected. With Poch, it might well be an attitude issue, some have joked that he is a tad overweight. His non-selection would indicate that there is an issue. Time will tell if it is something he is trying to rectify or if he is out. But from a fans perspective he is well liked.

Thank you for your reply. Good to hear that he has a good standing with the fans, but sad to learn that there might be an issue with Poch. Let's see how this turns out. I just want this young guy to play. Keeping my fingers crossed for him and the Spurs!

Waiting your turn is just part of being at a massive champions league club like Real Madrid, Barca, Bayern... or Tottenham. :pochsmirk:

Good point. If you wanna compete with those massive clubs and fight for the Premier League Title as well, you will definitely have to do a lot of player rotation. Would be great if Wimmer could get some Champions League experience, but for the moment I would just be happy for him to play as many minutes as he can get...

He was outstanding stepping in for Jan last season. I, for one, was surprised suprised Jan stepped right back into the team.

I doubt I'm the only one that thinks it's a little strange he hasn't really featured. He is a good player. Hopefully we will see him back in the fold soon! (Not saying our current set up is great, but would like to see Wimmer play when needed as imo he is a good back-up)

We all like Wimmer. He's a very good defender and only shows how good our depth is at centre half. Brilliant in the air, extremely good with the ball at his feet and his ability to find a successfully accurate pass forward and positions himself very well.

Carter-Vickers is only ahead of him due to pre-season. I still think if Vertonghen or Alderweireld got suspended or were our injured, we'd see Wimmer come in as opposed to Carter-Vickers.

Went to watch Austria v. Wales last night ... Davies has nothing to fear about Wimmer taking his left back position, I'm afraid. Koller played Wimmer at that position so they could double up Bale on his favorite side of the pitch and it was quite effective (outside of 2 quick bursts, Bale was quieted), but Wimmer looked lost in possession (or space) once Austria was on the attack and his crossing was laughably poor. He's very much a center half only after that display.

He was very good at set pieces (nearly scored early in the match with an Alderweireld style powerful run and header off a corner) and solid defensively - he's healthy and played the full 90 minutes, so that's not an issue. I think right now it's just that we have 4 very good center backs and he's fighting for a spot among them.

Side note from that game - I'd kill to have Arnautovic in a Spurs shirt. That guy runs his ass absolutely off and is really a terrific wide forward. Not as two footed as Son or as good a finisher, but better in build up play and a tank on set pieces.

Now that's he's older and matured a bit from his absolute hellion wild child days, he's turned himself into a heck of a footballer.

Side note from that game - I'd kill to have Arnautovic in a Spurs shirt. That guy runs his ass absolutely off and is really a terrific wide forward. Not as two footed as Son or as good a finisher, but better in build up play and a tank on set pieces.

Now that's he's older and matured a bit from his absolute hellion wild child days, he's turned himself into a heck of a footballer.
and due to his wild days,most clubs dont want to risk signing him so he might be reasonably cheap

His workrate has gone up incredibly since joining Stoke, and his attitude on the pitch seems to be more positive too

and due to his wild days,most clubs dont want to risk signing him so he might be reasonably cheap

His workrate has gone up incredibly since joining Stoke, and his attitude on the pitch seems to be more positive too

Not sure if we can use his off-pitch attittude. How would he responds to being bench. Skillfull yes, but too risky for a player that would not walk into our team.

My take on the CCV being picked ahead of him is simply a matter of versatility and experience: CCV is probably better at filling in at fb or DM were that needed as a sub AND as an 18 year old the match day experience is more beneficial to his development than it would be Wimmer's.

The fact is both have only played the one EFL cup game. Hopefully they both start against lolerpool. And personally I'd have them both start against either Monaco or CSKA given Chelsea and Man Utd follow those games and the Belgians might need a rest.

Back
Top Bottom