Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The end results have been very different with one trophy in that entire period given we had two in the ten years prior to the arrival of the English National Investment Company.
Apart from City who are owned by a country, which other club has broken the top 4 regularly since 2001?

City who are getting kicked out by the way and Chelsea who avoided the same punishment by default.
No one minded losing finals under Poch, due to shit tactics.

In fact, a good few want to see it happen again.

Nobody in their rational mind can blame Mourinho but he ain't made the difference Levy, the fans and Mourinho himself must have expected and we are all surprised at that.

He will be determined, he will want financial backing but he may also no longer have the capability.

But as our manager and without his players he has to be given enough time.

But it's not limitless and he knows that.

we are missing 4 first teamers (2 our only real strikers)
we have been poor since after the world cup, I put it down to being tired but its more than that
yes I expected more from Jose

Happy to admit this is slightly reactionary, and I understand why certain people wanted Jose in the first place (even though I wasn’t one of them)

There are some questions we need to ask though.....

Is this really the guy we want managing our team next season? Is this really the guy we want driving our transfer activity in the summer? That’ll constitute players over 6’1 and full backs that dare not venture over half way.

Is he able to adapt his tactics to the modern game? Is he going to leave our club in a mess as he has done at so many other places? Have you seen anything that gives you confidence Jose can make us winners and progress our side?

I don’t want responses about Poch either, I agree he had to go. Let’s stick to what we’re seeing with Jose.

What I’ve seen so far reminds me of Solskjaer’s start at Utd last season. An initial bump in confidence and performance and decent results. But somehow watching the games you knew this wasn’t good enough. I feel zero confidence in what I’m seeing from him as a manager both in terms of selections and tactics.

Jose is one of football’s greatest ever managers, but the game can pass you by very quickly if you don’t adapt. It’s what made Ferguson the greatest. I fear the game has passed him by now.

If I’m Levy, the best 20m we could spend this summer is admitting we made a mistake with Jose and moving on.

Happy to admit this is slightly reactionary, and I understand why certain people wanted Jose in the first place (even though I wasn’t one of them)

There are some questions we need to ask though.....

Is this really the guy we want managing our team next season? Is this really the guy we want driving our transfer activity in the summer? That’ll constitute players over 6’1 and full backs that dare not venture over half way.

Is he able to adapt his tactics to the modern game? Is he going to leave our club in a mess as he has done at so many other places? Have you seen anything that gives you confidence Jose can make us winners and progress our side?

I don’t want responses about Poch either, I agree he had to go. Let’s stick to what we’re seeing with Jose.

What I’ve seen so far reminds me of Solskjaer’s start at Utd last season. An initial bump in confidence and performance and decent results. But somehow watching the games you knew this wasn’t good enough. I feel zero confidence in what I’m seeing from him as a manager both in terms of selections and tactics.

Jose is one of football’s greatest ever managers, but the game can pass you by very quickly if you don’t adapt. It’s what made Ferguson the greatest. I fear the game has passed him by now.

If I’m Levy, the best 20m we could spend this summer is admitting we made a mistake with Jose and moving on.

You list a series of questions then suggest sacking Mourinho and not giving him the chance to answer them.

The manager is a total crock. He's now gone from giving the opposition the first 60 minutes and attacking for the last 30, to attacking for the first 20 and giving the opposition the last 70 minutes.

If Jose was what some think he is, he would be doing better than this. And a winner......not at Spurs.

Do you not think we might be playing the way we are because the attacking players are fucking knackered but we’ve no other option to keep playing them?

Mourinho warned a month ago about them being tired but everyone ignored it as an excuse. Well, it’s coming home to roost now. They can’t run up and down the pitch for 90 minutes. Since the villa game we’ve seen they are spent.

It’s not going to change until we can rotate them either. So until sissoko, Kane (and probably so ) are back it’s not going to change. Fans need to get behind the team and manager and ride this shit out. It’s probably too much to ask of our fan base though, defeats to West Ham and Woolwich will make it too toxic.

Do you not think we might be playing the way we are because the attacking players are fucking knackered but we’ve no other option to keep playing them?

Mourinho warned a month ago about them being tired but everyone ignored it as an excuse. Well, it’s coming home to roost now. They can’t run up and down the pitch for 90 minutes. Since the villa game we’ve seen they are spent.

It’s not going to change until we can rotate them either. So until sissoko, Kane (and probably so ) are back it’s not going to change. Fans need to get behind the team and manager and ride this shit out. It’s probably too much to ask of our fan base though, defeats to West Ham and Woolwich will make it too toxic.
Woah, woah, woah

This is the Mourinho who is boasting about working these players harder than they've ever been worked before. This is the Mourinho that is talking about "pain".

When Jose was presented as manager it was "He'll change things, he's a winner", now it's "Ah, but everyone is so tired and mentally fatigued".

Are the Jose cabal trying to set a world record for number of different excuses in a season?

You list a series of questions then suggest sacking Mourinho and not giving him the chance to answer them.
So? You have make big calls when run
The questions were rhetorical.

You have to make big decisions when you run a football club, and admitting you made a mistake in this hire would be a brave decision from Levy that I would applaud him for.

Apart from City who are owned by a country, which other club has broken the top 4 regularly since 2001?

City who are getting kicked out by the way and Chelsea who avoided the same punishment by default.
No one minded losing finals under Poch, due to shit tactics.

In fact, a good few want to see it happen again.

We can clap ourselves on the back about breaking the Top 4 in 4 consecutive seasons with our relative meagre resources and Pochettino is due some credit there. Objectively the demise of Woolwich and Man U post Wenger and Ferguson played a part. Chelsesa were a shit show in 3 of those 4 seasons too, downing tools under 3 different managers in 3 different seasons - Mourinho, Conte and Sarri. Of course they went and won it the other season we posted 86 points.

We went 15 consecutive seasons from 1990/91 to 2004/05 without finishing higher than 8th. This team now is of a standard that we had in the 1990’s. It’s a very different job spec for Mourinho than any other job he’s ever had in his managerial career.

You have to make big decisions when you run a football club, and admitting you made a mistake in this hire would be a brave decision from Levy that I would applaud him for.

Whether a mistake has been made is a matter of opinion. It's too early to say.

The guy has only been in charge for 3 and a half months so how about giving him a chance?

Whether a mistake has been made is a matter of opinion. It's too early to say.

The guy has only been in charge for 3 and a half months so how about giving him a chance?
I get that, it’s almost logical.

But it’s also the weak and incorrect course of action. It’s why Man U gave the the job to Ole wrongly.

You don’t always deserve time. You have to illustrate your vision immediately as a manager. Jose has shown me his and I’m not on board.

It’s a very different job spec for Mourinho than any other job he’s ever had in his managerial career.

Not really, when he started off he had fairly meagre resources at Leiera and Porto were no great shakes. But he was young, ambitious and hungry back then, now he's morphed into the negative, boring, pissy manager he is now.

I actually think he just doesn't care anymore and is just shit on purpose so he can get sacked and get his compensation :mourloopy:
He cares but he is relaxed because he is older and wiser. There are more important things in life than winning or losing a football match.
At this stage of his life , this job is a hobby for him not a career to progress or improve his CV.
Old Jose would have been gutted to lose twice to Lampard and to Soljkaer.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom