Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I get that, it’s almost logical.

But it’s also the weak and incorrect course of action. It’s why Man U gave the the job to Ole wrongly.

You don’t always deserve time. You have to illustrate your vision immediately as a manager. Jose has shown me his and I’m not on board.

Weak and incorrect?

For fuck's sake. Maybe it's just that we have different opinions.

In his time at Chelsea, he won more League Titles than we've won in our entire history and as many major trophies as we've won since 1972.

You're not convinced by him so you want him out after only 3 months...

I want him to be given a chance.

If we had appointed say, Eddie Howe in November and he was churning out these performances and these results, would he be looked at differently to Jose?

I'd imagine so.

All managers deserve more than 3 and a half months and their track record counts for something and there aren't many with a better track record than Mourinho.

All managers deserve more than 3 and a half months and their track record counts for something and there aren't many with a better track record than Mourinho.
And that's it, that's what we have...a track record.

So blind faith that he MIGHT be able to do what he did with Chelsea and Inter with us? Nothing other than, ah, but this time 10 years ago......

Sometimes we deserve the pain

If we had appointed say, Eddie Howe in November and he was churning out these performances and these results, would he be looked at differently to Jose?

I'd imagine so.

100%

Without Kane, Son, no DM and Lloris - we aren't a very good team.

So why are people judging us like we are? This isn't 2017 anymore.

Weak and incorrect?

For fuck's sake. Maybe it's just that we have different opinions.

In his time at Chelsea, he won more League Titles than we've won in our entire history and as many major trophies as we've won since 1972.

You're not convinced by him so you want him out after only 3 months...

I want him to be given a chance.
History is largely irrelevant now. That’s why Wenger is out the game, football moves on.

He was sacked by Chelsea with them in the bottom half of the league that season. There were calls the players were either not good enough or not playing for him. They won the league the next season under Conte.

Yes he won trophies at Utd but his tenure is seen as a disaster by nearly every Utd fan. Turgid football, squad disharmony, personal attacks, excuses. It’s the same Jose we’ve seen forever.

He was not my appointment but I backed it on the basis it was possible he’d had a period of self-reflection, realised he wasn’t always the victim and that his tactics were outdated. It was incumbent upon him to show us something different but he hasn’t.

Same old Jose with ultra defensive setup (even against fucking Norwich), a long ball style, no fluidity through MF, no clue how to structure an attack to break teams down relying only on individual brilliance, excuses and fan disharmony.

I’ve seen enough from him here and every Jose story at every club to know he has regressed as a manager and that this will end in tears. Rip the plaster off this summer. We made a mistake, we don’t need to double down and compound it.

This is what happens when you say you want the season to finish when you're in 3 competitions, when you talk up the opposition before every game, when you make out the club has the resource of a struggling championship team. All to protect your diminishing name. Was it Clough who said give players any excuse and they'll take it? Well our manager gives them excuses by the bucketload. Sackable offense in itself let alone the shit house performances.

He cares but he is relaxed because he is older and wiser. There are more important things in life than winning or losing a football match.
At this stage of his life , this job is a hobby for him not a career to progress or improve his CV.
Old Jose would have been gutted to lose twice to Lampard and to Soljkaer.
So we have a manager who's now managing just as a hobby and doesn't mind losing anymore. Brilliant.

And that's it, that's what we have...a track record.

So blind faith that he MIGHT be able to do what he did with Chelsea and Inter with us? Nothing other than, ah, but this time 10 years ago......

Sometimes we deserve the pain

He won the Copa del Rey in 2011, La Liga in 2012, the League Cup in 2015 and 2017, the Premier League in 2015 and the Europa League in 2017.

Unless I'm very much mistaken, they were all within the last 10 years and are as many trophies as we've won in the last 46 years.

Give the guy a chance.

Said it before he's completely finished as a manager has been since 2015 and it was the dying embers of his management career back then. Man Utd took a big gamble when they hired him hoping there was still a top class manager and it got proven in the end there was absolutely not. Fast forward to 2019 and our gormless stuck in a timewarp, tight ass chairman the one who's lauded in the media as a shrewd and frugal guy decides to invest large sums of money to bring him in.

History is largely irrelevant now. That’s why Wenger is out the game, football moves on.

He was sacked by Chelsea with them in the bottom half of the league that season. There were calls the players were either not good enough or not playing for him. They won the league the next season under Conte.

Yes he won trophies at Utd but his tenure is seen as a disaster by nearly every Utd fan. Turgid football, squad disharmony, personal attacks, excuses. It’s the same Jose we’ve seen forever.

He was not my appointment but I backed it on the basis it was possible he’d had a period of self-reflection, realised he wasn’t always the victim and that his tactics were outdated. It was incumbent upon him to show us something different but he hasn’t.

Same old Jose with ultra defensive setup (even against fucking Norwich), a long ball style, no fluidity through MF, no clue how to structure an attack to break teams down relying only on individual brilliance, excuses and fan disharmony.

I’ve seen enough from him here and every Jose story at every club to know he has regressed as a manager and that this will end in tears. Rip the plaster off this summer. We made a mistake, we don’t need to double down and compound it.

A manager's track record is largely irrelevant now...

Sorry, I think you're taking the piss and I've only just caught on.

He won the Copa del Rey in 2011, La Liga in 2012, the League Cup in 2015 and 2017, the Premier League in 2015 and the Europa League in 2017.

Unless I'm very much mistaken, they were all within the last 10 years and are as many trophies as we've won in the last 46 years.

Give the guy a chance.
He won those trophies at

Real Madrid
Chelsea
Man Ure

Champagne clubs or clubs willing to shop in Harrods.

He's now looking to buy his champagne in Lidl and only knows the words Louis Roederer

Some reflection from the mixed feeling I have about Mou:

I have rarely looked down at a football person more than Mourinho before we got him. I have always thought that yes, he is a very good manager and in some way he’s proving it even now now (I will come back to this below), but his biggest strength by paradox is his complex of inferiority, which has always made him obsessed with winning trophies as the only way to be considered important by himself and the others. In the past he always had to project a strong aura of achievement and being special because to me (not even too secretly) he doesn’t have much self esteem. That’s why he has always chosen jobs that would have made him look great

Anyway, he became our cunt, and I always support our manager and give him a chance. I also thought that despite everything I said above, he has got a more than decent football mind and we needed a change regardless of when would have come next, so we could do with his experience

I felt very good to see how Mou has changed in terms of clownery with the media and on the pitch. In the past I have always regarded him as a classless human being, but I loved and I am loving to see how he has changed in this respect (but I am not happy about one thing that I will mention later)

After the first three or four games I got quite optimistic about him. We needed a change (I don’t want to talk about Poch ) and definitely there has been a manager bounce for a while. But soon after, things started to stagnate again, well before Kane and Son got injuried, around Christmas time. What I was expecting from Mou was tightening up our defence and start with a no nonsense approach to the game ( which he has partially achieved), but even more I was expecting to motivate the players and build up a fearless group of fuckers that always give hard time to the opponents. That is an expectation that had to happen pretty soon considering his reputation of a manager that can easily get the backing from his players. I was expecting him to recharge the players in terms of mental strength and motivation. To me he has done that a bit, but not quite to the extent I was expecting, and definitely not to the extend we needed

I am cutting a lot of slack to him. We had two massive injuries, we couldn’t or didn’t want to buy any additional striker and we still don’t have a midfield that is good enough to break the opponents game. I also think that when we will have the Ndombele issue sorted (a player with immense potential) and we will get him, Lo Celso, Kane and Son playing consistently together we would see different results

What surprises me from him is how he is going on about our crisis, injuries excetera. I make a lot of excuses for him. I just don’t think that making excuses so publicly and frequently is a sign of strength. I think it’s more of a sign of self pity

So, overall, given our current state, I think he has done “reasonably ok”, and definitely he deserves to be judged at the end of next season. Am I looking forward to that? Not particularly, but he has my support. It’s a support that costs a lot of effort and fatigue, but I have to support him

To me it’s useful to look at what he does regardless of what he did in the past and with a completely different financial backing. Let’s assume that he is a new young manager: how I would I judge how he is doing?

A manager's track record is largely irrelevant now...

Sorry, I think you're taking the piss and I've only just caught on.
You think I give a fuck that he won the title for our rivals?

Didn’t help George Graham here did it?

I’m interested to know what you’ve seen tactically that makes you optimistic we’re moving in the right direction?

Back
Top Bottom